Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-20-2014, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: X3
New for me 2007 X3

Hi,

Im looking to get my first bmw, a 2007 X3. It has 65k miles. Are there things i should look out for before buying?

Any known issues with model?

I appreciate your help.

Ar
Ads by Google
Old 03-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arhx3 View Post
... 2007 X3. It has 65k miles.
Any known issues with model?

AT drivability issues quite likely, see Sticky thread above on the matter.

Sheared motor mounts a possibility for '07+ models - see another current thread.

Starter motors, electronic thermostats, and electric water pumps on '07+ models appear to have shorter lives than older technology on the '04 -'06 models.

Lower mileage isn't always a good thing - there may be reasons the previous owner(s) didn't drive their '07 a lot.

An '06 with twice the miles could be a safer choice - as long as proper maintenance has been followed, and known wear-and-tear components have been recently attended to.

Don't rush into a purchase - get really familiar with topics in this forum before buying, and then you should have a better chance of landing a good example of what can be a very rewarding vehicle to own.

And get one with only the options that are important to you.
Too many people focus on getting a fully-optioned used car as though that was what defined the value in the great price they negotiated.
Keep things simple, less things to go wrong, and enjoy the essence of what driving a BMW is all about.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post

And get one with only the options that are important to you.
Too many people focus on getting a fully-optioned used car as though that was what defined the value in the great price they negotiated.
Keep things simple, less things to go wrong, and enjoy the essence of what driving a BMW is all about.
Great advice!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Be aware this forum is full of people who will terrify a prospective buyer with horror stories.

The roof, the transfer box and the auto box. Do some searching as this topic comes up roughly once every fortnight.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Thank you for the tips. According to the carfax the computer was reprogrammed in 2010, not sure if this has anything to do with the automatic transmission. Some fuses and the thermostat were replaced in dec '12. Front brake rotors were replaced a year ago. Batter and washer pump were replaced in june of last year.

Ill ask about the transfer box and auto box.

Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arhx3 View Post
Thank you for the tips. According to the carfax the computer was reprogrammed in 2010, not sure if this has anything to do with the automatic transmission. Some fuses and the thermostat were replaced in dec '12. Front brake rotors were replaced a year ago. Batter and washer pump were replaced in june of last year.

Ill ask about the transfer box and auto box.

Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.
I just bought an 07 with about 66k miles and with a CPO warranty that lasted until July last year. In that short time I got repaired about $7,000 worth of stuff the original owner never took care of. Honestly unless you're getting it for $10k or less it's just not worth it. Just last week I discovered the broken engine mount bolts. The bolts actually break in half leaving the remaining end inside the block, which I've already had 2 local shops tell me they will not even try to get out. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning and from what I've been reading I'll be looking at $1,000 plus bill.