Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-29-2010, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
2004 X3 Sunroof Vent stuck open

My X3 at the shop getting the once over and the sunroof failed open in the vent position and will not close. Apparantly there are loose parts in the rear sunroof mechanism. Shop guy says there are 2 service bulletins on the sunroof and it has basically been redesigned since the one that is on my car.
To bring the sunroof upto current specs is approx $1400 (total) depending on which repair kit(s) are used.
Any thoughts on the situation? Does this sound resonable. Havnt had the car that long, and was really looking forward to having the roof wide open.
Very disappointed.

Thanks
TODD P
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
There is a reset sequence that may resolve.

(Push the button UP and HOLD. The sunroof will cycle through all positions and when it's finished let go of the button. Do not release the button until it's gone through the whole cycle.)

I think the key needs to be in position one - engine not running.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the input, problem is there are broken pieces in the mechanism itself. Not looking too good.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 330ci & 04' X3
So whats the verdict?

I have the exact same situation
Old 04-04-2010, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 & 1999 323i vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by md80boy View Post
I have the exact same situation
+1

But mine is been fixed right now, under the CPO.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci & 04' X3
update

I figured out exactly whats wrong and why it failed. I will post pics and repair procedure once I get parts. Challenge is where to get parts.
where can i get smal parts or kits besides the dealer for the sunroof?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Call these guys

Call Husker BMW in Nebraska. They have the best prices I have found and won't gig you on shipping. Email Ryan Giese RGiese@HuskerAutoGroup.com
or call him at 402-479-7591
Old 04-05-2010, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
CHeck this out

This writeup is not for the X3 but you might find similarities. In any case if you are getting ready to dive into this any and all tips might be worth a quick review.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 & 1999 323i vert
Just got my back from the dealer and everything is working great. There is only one thing I have a problem with and I will post a pic later(after I had the morning coffee).
Old 04-12-2010, 08:31 PM

Mine is back from shop. My wallet is empty but I can see the sun through a fully opened rebuilt panoramic sunroof. They used parts from 2 of the 3 repair kits available. Says I will never have another problem with it and they will stand by it. Also said the problem comes from some of the plastic parts cracking over time due to what? Answer: sunshine. He showed me the service bulletin for the roof and no kidding it says that if the roof is subjected to the sun for long periods this and that particular part is at risk. Hmmm. Sunroof on the roof. Gonna see alot of sun.
But regardless it is fixed.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:38 PM

Oh, and the shop manager also showed me the repair "manual" they put together for this. They Copied all of the pertinent pdf files, printed them then put them in the binder for easy reference. This thing ran probably 30 pages along with pictures and text. It was like a book.
FWIW Had I bought the X3 from a BMW dealer and got the CPO warranty it would have been covered. But I bought it from a generic used dealer that it was traded into. That dealer was only luke warm about "participating" in any repair. I could see that even if they helped with the fix, they would get it done on the cheap. You get what you pay for. So sucked it up and got it fixed right on my dime.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
My 2004 must have tapped into the internet and read this thread and felt left out.

Rear panel won't close from the open/vented position as of Saturday evening. Tried the reinitialize sequence and no luck expect for a couple of abnormal "pops" while the front section tried to cycle thru unsuccessfully. Also found a couple of small black plastic pieces (about 1/4" long) on the rear seat the next morning.

Goes into the shop this morning.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0i
My X3 is having the same problem as of this afternoon. Rear panel wont close from the open-vented position. I tried the reinitialize sequence several times but did not work. Initialy the driver side of the panel would shut ok but not the passenger side (it would remain open), after several attempts to close it even manually, nothing, but now, not one but both sides remain totally open in the vent position ( the front panle shuts perfectly though).
I dont know what happened, this afternoon I washed the car, afterwards I opened the sunroof in the vent position, took the freeway, went back home tried to shut it, and there you go! the problem started!
Any suggestinons? Im worried!!

Last edited by Martin5333; 09-05-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
That's why I never use my sunroof and will only operate it once more, for the trade-in/sale to demonstrate "it works". I am not a fan of a sunroof, they have been problem areas in every car I have owned that had one.

Last edited by UncleJ; 09-06-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:44 AM

I`ve always had cars with sunroof, I`ve never had a problem!! But as they say, there is always a "first time" but with a BMW???? unbelievable...
Old 09-06-2010, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
My sunroof just failed last week. My Wife and I were down in Cape Hatteras and I had the suroof open driving down Rt 12. ( Yes we were evacuated bc of Hurricane Earl )

Anyway, our sunroof failed and the rear vent wouldn't close. An easy way to close it is to have a friend get on the otherside of the vehicle (from the exterior) and lift the main (front) sunroof up approx 8-10 inches from the rear. When that main roof is lifted there will be a plastic rectangular piece in the guide rail on either side. This is the peice that closes the rear vent panel. Everything is interconnected... So pull that piece towards the rear of the car and the vent will close. Both sides need to be pulled at the same time.

After the panels are lowered I put some black electrical tape over the sunroof switch just as a reminder not to use it ever again... It was surprising that all the sunroof mechanisms are all platic parts. Pretty cheaply constructed.. oh well
Old 09-06-2010, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: M3/X3
Is there a T S B for this?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukas161 View Post
My sunroof just failed last week. My Wife and I were down in Cape Hatteras and I had the suroof open driving down Rt 12. ( Yes we were evacuated bc of Hurricane Earl )

Anyway, our sunroof failed and the rear vent wouldn't close. An easy way to close it is to have a friend get on the otherside of the vehicle (from the exterior) and lift the main (front) sunroof up approx 8-10 inches from the rear. When that main roof is lifted there will be a plastic rectangular piece in the guide rail on either side. This is the peice that closes the rear vent panel. Everything is interconnected... So pull that piece towards the rear of the car and the vent will close. Both sides need to be pulled at the same time.

After the panels are lowered I put some black electrical tape over the sunroof switch just as a reminder not to use it ever again... It was surprising that all the sunroof mechanisms are all platic parts. Pretty cheaply constructed.. oh well
Thank you. I`ll try it today. will let you know!
Old 09-06-2010, 02:53 PM

There is a SIB for this B540205 from July 2005. It preceeds the one dated April 2005.
In my case it didn`t work..

This Service Information bulletin supersedes Service Measure B54 201 05 dated April 2005.

SUBJECT
Panoramic Sunroof Will Not Close From Vent Position

MODEL
E53 (X5) produced from 9/2003 until 11/2004

E83 (X3) produced from 9/2003 until 11/2004

SITUATION
When attempting to close the panoramic sunroof from the vent position, the anti-trap function is activated and the sunroof will not close. This problem can occur after the vehicle has been exposed to direct sunlight for a long period of time.

CAUSE
Gap tolerances between the seal and the sunroof glass are reduced due to heat expansion. This can cause the anti-trap function to activate.

CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis, recode the panoramic sunroof control module (SHD).

PROCEDURE
Recode the SHD using CD 39.0 or higher for E53 (X5 SAV) and CIP 16.0 for or higher for E83 (X3 SAV). Coding the SHD will increase the anti-trap threshold to compensate for thermal expansion.

E53 (X5 SAV):

Select Coding/Programming

Select ZCS/FA Coding

Select E53 Series

Select Recoding

Select Panoramic Sunroof

Complete the coding procedure by following the on screen prompts.

E83 (X3 SAV):

Recode the SHD control module per SI B09 05 01 using CIP 16.0 or higher.

[ Copyright 2005 BMW of North America, LLC ]
Old 09-06-2010, 07:33 PM

FHODD
Mein auto: BMW 525i Executive E61
View My Garage

Rear Sunroof issue: fix it yourself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With my 5 series touring E61 I had the same issue and I modified my roof myself.
The roof mechanisms for the 5 series and X3 and X5 are practically the same.

With attached instructions you can lower the rear roof and then choose to do the modification.

Regards
Attached Files Sunroof repair TFH_v2.pdf (282.2 KB, 40 views)

Well guys, thanks to our fellow from Netherlands up here with his post of last November ; I followed the instructions in order to shut the rear panel of the sunroof. Im forwarding the attachment once again. It was extremely useful for me.
Anyhow I would add to the procedure that you first need to be sure that the front panel of the sunroof is partially closed (always talking of the vent position) in order to be able to shut the rear panel. This needs to be performed manually with the allen tool.
Bottom line, in order to shut the rear panel, you first must partially close the front panel manually, secondly turn to the rear panel from the inside of the vehicle and push backwards the item 6 indicated in the file attached as much as you can ( both sides of the panel of course); follow this two steps again ( two or three sequences should be enough) until the rear and front panel are completely shut.
From there on just decide what would you like to do with the sunroof; pay top dollar to get it fixed if you ran out of a warranty, modify the system and block out the rear panel (It is a DIY task, as detailed in the attachment) or just keep your fingers off the push up button to engage the vent position!!!
Thanks FHODD and mlukas161
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sunroof repair TFH_v2.pdf (282.2 KB, 3293 views)

Last edited by Martin5333; 09-06-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0i sport
Thanaks for posting this PDF! I wish my dealer was this knowledgeable or helpful!

my roof crapped out in the vent position earlier this summer and my dealer modded the switch so I can at least use the sun shade (they wanted $2000 to fix it with a repair kit or $6000 to replace the whole thing!!). I might try the dremel mod if I have some time in the future...
Old 09-07-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJC View Post
Thanaks for posting this PDF! I wish my dealer was this knowledgeable or helpful!

my roof crapped out in the vent position earlier this summer and my dealer modded the switch so I can at least use the sun shade (they wanted $2000 to fix it with a repair kit or $6000 to replace the whole thing!!). I might try the dremel mod if I have some time in the future...

I`m sorry to hear of that! it is really outrageous to pay that kind of money to replace the whole thing, even if it is BMW....
Thank to our dutch friend that originally posted the instructions in the pdf file. I just reposted it since it solved my problem.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
That was a good find Martin, and thanks for posting it here. To bad the first post in the sticky is closed for editing, but I'm going to add it to the thread for future reference
Old 09-19-2010, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x3 1997 z3
2005 x3 both windows of the panoramic sunroof are stuck in the tilt position. there is a small noise after pressing the button in the roof. the warning was the jittering of would not close. My wife brushed this off as it "always worked later on". Now stuck open. put a tarp over it last night, garage still in summer mode and there are things like a snowblower in the way....I did download the PDF "sunroof closing fix" Warranty ended when? We picked the unit up used here in Ottawa, Canada
Old 10-18-2010, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin5333 View Post

Bottom line, in order to shut the rear panel, you first must partially close the front panel manually, secondly turn to the rear panel from the inside of the vehicle and push backwards the item 6 indicated in the file attached as much as you can ( both sides of the panel of course); follow this two steps again ( two or three sequences should be enough)

How did you access the rear panel from the inside? My roofliner is completely closed. Is there a way to unhook the roofliner?

Thanks.