Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 7.45
SZL module question

Hey everybody! I have a question concerning my 2003 7.45I. "Drive Control, Drive Moderately" message came on a couple of days ago and steering was acting up a little bit. The message went away but power steering is still not 100% right. I took it in to the BMW dealer here in Indy and they said that I had to replace SZL module which is going to cost me $1,275 including everything. Is this something I need to replace right away since the warning light went away? Or should I wait till the warning light is on permanently? Also how much should I expect to pay approximately if I take it to an independent repair shop? I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

thanks
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
Every six months or so my steering angle sensor (SZL) freaks out as well, but at that frequency there is obviously no need to replace it. If yours goes off and stays off then don't sweat it; it's just a fluke and will probably happen from time to time. However, if it keeps coming on, then it's time to do the swap.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 01-15-2010, 12:17 PM

I actually called a local indy shop and they said they can get the SZL module replaced and get the car reprogrammed for $450 plus tax. I went ahead and put a deposit on the part. I hope I am not making a big mistake.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Little Odessa

Mein Auto: bmw
I have one time same think come up on my dashboard after i turn right fast, also week before i put my winter tires they are not low profile tires, then after restart engine its gone
Old 01-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtokad View Post
I actually called a local indy shop and they said they can get the SZL module replaced and get the car reprogrammed for $450 plus tax. I went ahead and put a deposit on the part. I hope I am not making a big mistake.
Which Indy shop are you using? I'm from the east side- make sure you're taking your 7ser to Kelly Gaskill at Dreyer on the south side if you're going to a dealership. Tell him Josh said hey.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtokad View Post

They may have quoted you the wrong part - the SZL is usually referred to as the Switch Unit Steering Column - Part # 61316970833 This part retails for $521.05 and many dealers will mark this price up...seems too low for parts/labor at the Indy. They probably are replacing the little control unit box which is less expensive and not usuallly called SZL as it doesn't have the steering angle sensor in it. Perhaps Keif can expand on his thoughts on this?
Old 01-15-2010, 01:48 PM

Guys, first of all thanks for your replies/comments. I called the guy to verify the part and based on Bimmer 750il's response the part he ordered was a different. I gave him the part number 61316970833 and he said he will call me back. When i was at his shop earlier he asked me question about if the dealer reset the diagnostics results but I didn't know. He said even if he ran it thru the diagnostics he may not get the error messages if the dealer cleared it off. He said dealers usually do that. So he ordered the part based on what my dealer said the problem was. The guy at the BMW dealer said that they had to replace the SZL module. So I am all confused but I truly appreciate the help.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Master Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer750li View Post
they may have quoted you the wrong part - the szl is usually referred to as the switch unit steering column - part # 61316970833 this part retails for $521.05 and many dealers will mark this price up...seems too low for parts/labor at the indy...
+1. Steering angle sensor = part of the Switch Unit Steering Column (SZL) = does seem too cheap to be the proper part.

Another noteworthy thing...they should be able to see how many times it happened, and at what mileage for the last few times. Honestly, if this thing just blinked once there is really no need to throw all that hard-earned money at it, even if the indy can somehow pull it off for $450. If it comes up a bunch in the next few days or week, then start worrying about it, otherwise save your money.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...

Last edited by Keif; 01-15-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:03 PM

Thanks Keif! If I weren't also having minor issues with the steering I probably wouldn't worry about it. When I let the steering go at any speed sometimes the car is moving to either direction without me turning the steering wheel. I am just afraid that it will lose control if it gets worse.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Master Tinkerer

Do you have servotronic?

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7

Old 01-15-2010, 11:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 745i
Almost sounds like my 88 735 servotronic steering system. The steering would suddenly steer like a tank in either direction just like MTOKAD's issue, then it would come back. I just ignored it. Only happened 3-5 times a year. Only got bad on street, never on highway.

As I remember the servotronic steering worked off the speed of the engine. When I replaced the nitrogen ball and tightened up the belt driven off the pulley from the engine it worked flawlessly, well for a while. When I replaced the ball for 80 bones, it worked-N-steered like a new car. I take it 02 7's and up don't have the nitrogen balls connected to the steering system? ( I havent seen one).

I may of had a module issue also, but didnt know. Definetly a good thread here to know the difference in modules.
76 280Z 2+2 RIP 325K

Last edited by haz1; 01-16-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:37 AM

I am not sure if i have servotronic steering. HAz1, I appreciate your reply. My issue is a little bit different I think. I just thought about this but the dealer also told me that I may need to replace the front bush bearings in the near future. Would bad bush bearings result in steering issues I earlier described? I am really mechanically challanged so excuse me if this is a dumb question. I did replace my own Microfilters though! Thanks again for all your replies. I appreciate it.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: E65,03 cobra
Play in the front bushings would cause a pull or drift. The szl is most likely not the cause of your drift ,i would hold off on the szl cause if the alighn is off it will also cause steering angle faults and you would get the lights you had. Fix the bushings get it alighned then go from there.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:12 PM

This is great. Thanks white75li! I am going to just wait and see if the "Drive Control" message comes back on. When/If it stays on permanently then I will worry about it. I am so glad I remembered what the dealer said about the front bushings. It seems like that was the cause of my steering drift. How much do you think I should expect to pay for getting the bushings replaced? Thanks again for everybody's help on this forum.