Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 325xi
How much suction should I be getting from oil fill

I have read some posts that say " a lot" of suction into the oil fill hole implies that ccv is stuck open. Just did CCV and am curious. I laid one of those thin taco bell bags on there and in my opinion, it really pulled it in, a lot of suction.

Last edited by JJKK; 01-15-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2010, 06:29 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
I have Same exact question. Mine doesn't have muchsuction.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Boogety Boogety

Mein Auto: 325Ci
You are taking the oil filler cap off when you do this, right? Right?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:01 AM
tappa tappa toit

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogety View Post
You are taking the oil filler cap off when you do this, right? Right?
yes... how are we supposed to do it?
Engine is started, and I remove the oil filler cap. It comes off with ease, no force involved. I put my hand to the hole, and only a negligible amount of suction... so basically none. I had someone rev my car a bit, and a bunch of air came out. :/
Please help... what does thsi mean? What is normal and what is abnormally terminally ill?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Boogety Boogety

Mein Auto: 325Ci
Maybe I misunderstood your question. I thought you were changing your oil via a MitiVac or some such. In that case, you would introduce a long plastic tube, the biggest diameter that would fit, into your dipstick tube, remove the oil filler cap, pump the MitiVac, and evacuate the oil in your crankcase.

Maybe there's a Taco Bell bag in your crankcase... ???
Old 01-16-2010, 04:23 PM
tappa tappa toit

lol no we're talking about some test that is performed to see if the oil separator is working or not.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
Quote:
The crankcase vent valve and 4 associate hoses fail and cause a vacuum leak. The valve gets stuck open and the hoses crack. These last 70-120k miles and usually fail 80-90k miles. Here are a couple diagnoses.
At warm idle, place small plastic freezer storage bag on its side over the oil fill hole. If the bag sits on top or gets slightly sucked in, ~1Ē, the valve is good. If the bag gets significantly sucked in the hole the valve is stuck open and bad.
With the engine off and cold, carefully remove the hose at the valve cover front corner. Blow hard into the hole. You should hear oil bubbling in the oil pan. If you donít hear the bubbling the top or bottom hose is likely cracked. The bottom hose often breaks just below the valve connection. There can also be cracks in the other two hoses.
Hope that helps.

2006 325Ci
Old 01-16-2010, 07:05 PM
tappa tappa toit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourcoul View Post
Hope that helps.
yeah it does. i had that exact problem. funny thing is, the hose was cracked right by the valve cover and by the oil seperator valve.... but i still had small amount of suction at the oil fill hole.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325i, 96 Jeep GC
Yeah, mine does the foghorn sound but it doesn't suck. CCV will be replaced come spring...