Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-04-2005, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: 83 E21 320i, 02 E39 530i
Removing/replacing ashtrays on 2002 530i-- how?

I'd like to remove the ashtrays on each of the 2 rear doors (they came with my 2002 CPO 530i but I don't smoke and do not plan on allowing anyone to smoke in the car) --- right now they take up about half of the door pocket space. They look pretty tightly fitted and when I push on them they don't seem to budge at all. I removed the removable trays inside to see whether there are screws that hold them in place and didn't see any. Does anyone know how to remove them?

I'd also like to replace the ashtray on the center console by a (small) rubberized storage compartment. I read about this replacement on a link on this forum. It's supposed to be only about $5 or $6 and the part # is 51-16-8-159-695. Can people who have done this recommend it?
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2005, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530iA
There are 2 screws in the back that hold the ash tray. You need to pry the door panel from the bottom using a flat tool or panel tool. I was barely able to get my hands in there to remove the screws without removing the door panel. After that I removed the side of the ash tray by prying it away from the ash tray and then pulling it out. The back doors are similar.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 530i 5-speed, SP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfc1
I'd also like to replace the ashtray on the center console by a (small) rubberized storage compartment. I read about this replacement on a link on this forum. It's supposed to be only about $5 or $6 and the part # is 51-16-8-159-695. Can people who have done this recommend it?
I recently did this and it was very simple. You listed the correct part #. Just pop out the old and pop in the new; pay attention to its underside and you'll see that it can only snap in one way. I paid $5.06 + tax with my CCA discount.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
'03 530i 5-speed, Sport & Premium Pkgs
Old 10-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
I'm assuming you're referring to my post with the part number, price, and picture, but I'm not sure what there is to recommend. If you don't smoke, there's not much point in having an ashtray in the console. Some people take the silver tab off the inside of the ashtray, line it with something and use it as a coin holder, but for $5, I prefer the finished look of the coin holder and the way it lights up around the perimeter. There's no need for any screwdrivers or prying to remove it. Just open the lid, push down on the side edge of the lid while it's open and the ashtray pops right out.

As for the rear door ashtrays, I'm using those as overflow coin holders, but it really is a huge waste of space to have those big plastic pieces that take up half the door pocket. Mine look like they are glued in though. I have pulled out the black ashtray insert and looked around and I can't find anything else holding them in, but they're very solidly in there. If anyone knows how to remove the entire piece without messing up the door panel, I'd be interested in knowing too.

Last edited by 1Dreamer; 10-05-2005 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: '03 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer
I'm assuming you're referring to my post with the part number, price, and picture, but I'm not sure what there is to recommend. If you don't smoke, there's not much point in having an ashtray in the console. Some people take the silver tab off the inside of the ashtray, line it with something and use it as a coin holder, but for $5, I prefer the finished look of the coin holder and the way it lights up around the perimeter. There's no need for any screwdrivers or prying to remove it. Just open the lid, push down on the side edge of the lid while it's open and the ashtray pops right out.

As for the rear door ashtrays, I'm using those as overflow coin holders, but it really is a huge waste of space to have those big plastic pieces that take up half the door pocket. Mine look like they are glued in though. I have pulled out the black ashtray insert and looked around and I can't find anything else holding them in, but they're very solidly in there. If anyone knows how to remove the entire piece without messing up the door panel, I'd be interested in knowing too.
1Dreamer, is the "coin holder" you have and refered to in another thread part #51-16-8-159-695? If that is correct you siad it does have the light still intact like the factory ash trey? Thanks for your help.....I want to ditch the ash tray also but want to make sure I get the right part.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyj
1Dreamer, is the "coin holder" you have and refered to in another thread part #51-16-8-159-695? If that is correct you siad it does have the light still intact like the factory ash trey? Thanks for your help.....I want to ditch the ash tray also but want to make sure I get the right part.
Yes, that's it and here's a pic of it in my car. The white outline you see around the border glows red/orange like the dash and OBC lights when you turn the headlights on. Cost was $5.06 plus tax from Crevier parts. Cheapest mod you'll ever find.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob530iA
There are 2 screws in the back that hold the ash tray. You need to pry the door panel from the bottom using a flat tool or panel tool. I was barely able to get my hands in there to remove the screws without removing the door panel. After that I removed the side of the ash tray by prying it away from the ash tray and then pulling it out. The back doors are similar.
Thanks! I'll look for those 2 screws --- I didn't see them when I looked. Where approximately are the screws relative to the ashtray insert? Are the screw heads inside the door panel and you can remove them by hand without being able to see them? Why does BMW make them so difficult to remove? I recently had the 2 window regulators replaced in the backdoors but didn't know to ask the dealer to remove the ashtrays at the same time! I'd hate to now ask them to remove the door panels again just to remove the ashtrays. I'll try to gather up the courage to follow your method!
Old 10-06-2005, 12:34 AM

Quote:
That was exactly my experience. But Rob530iA says they are 2 screws. Maybe it depends on the model year? Is yours also 2002?

Last edited by tfc1; 10-06-2005 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Yes, that's it and here's a pic of it in my car. The white outline you see around the border glows red/orange like the dash and OBC lights when you turn the headlights on. Cost was $5.06 plus tax from Crevier parts. Cheapest mod you'll ever find.
That looks perfect! And for only $5! I'll get it. With this, there is really no need for the door coin holder. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfc1
That was exactly my experience. But Rob530iA says they are 2 screws.
I think he must be referring to the coin holder in the front driver door, but I use that one too and haven't tried to remove it. I was just pointing out that the center console ashtray is very easy to remove because I've read posts from people trying to pry it out not realizing it just pops out when you push down on the side edge of the wood door. As for the ashtrays in the back doors, I can't see or feel anything holding them in so I'm wondering if they're glued in. If you find out, let me know.

I don't know why they put ashtrays all over the car. I know you can order a non-smoker package option, but in this day and age you'd think they'd make that standard and have people order a smoker package if they want it. Funny that they made it so convenient to smoke from every seat in the car, but God forbid they provide one decent cupholder.

Last edited by 1Dreamer; 10-06-2005 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:34 AM

I still have the door panel ash trays at home and I will take a look at them to see where the screws are. I'll post a picture so you'll have an idea where they are. I didnt' take off my door panels when I removed them. I pryed the doors from the clips using a door panel tool and squeezed my hands in there with a screw driver. It's been over a year since I did this so I need to look again.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I still have the door panel ash trays at home and I will take a look at them to see where the screws are. I'll post a picture so you'll have an idea where they are. I didnt' take off my door panels when I removed them. I pryed the doors from the clips using a door panel tool and squeezed my hands in there with a screw driver. It's been over a year since I did this so I need to look again.
Thanks. I can feel the felt lining inside the door pockets when I reach down in there which would indicate the whole pocket is lined and they're just inserted in there over the lining. I just can't find what's holding them in or where and didn't want to end up ripping up the lining if they were glued in. Pics of where the screws are would be great.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Highland Green 3.0i
Quote:
Funny that they made it so convenient to smoke from every seat in the car, but God forbid they provide one decent cupholder.
Ha...I guess Germans like to smoke and drive while we Americans enjoy drinking and driving! I've also determined that they don't like to listen to music while driving either. I can't believe cars in this price range have stereo systems that sound like they belong in a Chevy Aveo!

Last edited by blue_uhuru; 10-06-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:26 PM

Okay, here are the pictures:
Coin holder

You can see the holes in the door pocket where the screws were. Once you remove the screws, take off the side of the coin holder to get it out of the pocket. You can put a small screwdriver on the side to pry it away from the rest of the coin holder.

Rear Ash Trays

The screws that hold the rear ash trays are on the bottom.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for going to the trouble of doing that!

The change holder in front looks pretty easy, but in my case, I'm only interested in taking out the rear door ashtrays and I now see where the bottom of the screws are, but in putting my hand on the bottom of the door approximately where the screw heads should be, I see no way to get to them without taking off the door panels. I guess I'll wait until I have to take the panels off for another reason, but I'm also hoping I won't have a reason to do that (like replacing a bad window regulator). At least I know where to look now though if and when the time comes.

Thanks again.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:57 PM

For the rear ash trays you don't have to remove the door panels. There are clips on the edge of the door panel that you can pry off. Pry enough of them off and then you can squeeze your hand behind the door panel. Either use a flat screwdriver (be careful not to scratch your car) or a door panel pry tool. I bought one at a local auto store and it comes in handy.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I didnt' take off my door panels when I removed them. I pryed the doors from the clips using a door panel tool and squeezed my hands in there with a screw driver. It's been over a year since I did this so I need to look again.
OK, I just read this post again and see that you definitely didn't remove the door panels, so maybe I'll give it another shot. I've just never seen how the door panel clips work or where they are and want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I start prying. I just put in a UGDO last week and ended up busting off a couple of the clips on the ceiling panel that weren't shown in pictures people posted. Also my ceiling panel wasn't pre-scored for cutting as the pictures had shown. What everybody described as a 15 minute job took about 2 hours and 5 broken exacto knife blades.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:24 AM

Rob530i: thanks very much for the pics! Now in theory I know what to do --- what remains is execution!!

1Dreamer: please post your experience after you have tried it. I will not be able to do mine immediately because I'm going on a trip.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 525i
Has anyone done this with pics? I am interested in removing the rear ash trays. I want to see how the holes look.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfc1 View Post
Does anyone know how to remove them?
I just added this to the bestlinks today ...
- How to retrofit a rear door ashtray delete or rear door pocket ash tray modification (1)