Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by msouren View Post
I don't have any non-BMW parts, where did I mention that?
Sure you do. You just don't know you do. The Beisan seals are not BMW for instance. But that is compatible with the BMW engine. However the other non-BMW parts that you don't know you have may not be compatible. BMW parts usually are stamped with BMW part numbers and the bmw badge. It's quite easy to verify.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
Sure you do. You just don't know you do. The Beisan seals are not BMW for instance. But that is compatible with the BMW engine. However the other non-BMW parts that you don't know you have may not be compatible. BMW parts usually are stamped with BMW part numbers and the bmw badge. It's quite easy to verify.
Which items would you be thinking of in particular? I've had this issue for about 4 months now, so I've gone through the common items that would cause the problems that I've been having, as you can see by the list above. Plus, I've stuck with only OEM items because I know that aftermarket ones can be faulty.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Banned

I wouldn't know. Why don't you go look at all the parts you put in and see which hasn't got a BMW badge ? You don't want OEM items, you want BMW items.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 M Roadster. 2000 323
When I did my Vanos, has similiar mis-firing problem at idle. Codes said vaccuum leak but couldn't find it. Finally after CCV and new tubes, had to have smoke test down and discovered the leak in one of the spark plug holes - the gasket has gotten pinched during reassembly too small to see. I would never have found it on my own. Just something to consider.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregetski View Post
When I did my Vanos, has similiar mis-firing problem at idle. Codes said vaccuum leak but couldn't find it. Finally after CCV and new tubes, had to have smoke test down and discovered the leak in one of the spark plug holes - the gasket has gotten pinched during reassembly too small to see. I would never have found it on my own. Just something to consider.
I am certainly considering a smoke test to check for vacuum leaks. Where did you get it done and how much?
Old 03-13-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't know. Why don't you go look at all the parts you put in and see which hasn't got a BMW badge ? You don't want OEM items, you want BMW items.
I meant BMW, I thought OEM has the same meaning. However, not all of the BMW parts have a BMW stamp on them. I bought an exhaust CPS sensor from Pelican Parts that is genuine BMW, and there is no badge on it. At first, I thought Pelican sent me the wrong part. It turns out that it was indeed Genuine BMW. Pelican states that "only BMW places the last 7 digits of the part on the item itself".
Old 03-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Banned

Does the part number match up with realOEM ? If I were you, I wouldn't mess with precision electronics from anywhere but the dealer. As you have already found out, the money you saved for not going to the dealer parts department had cost you inordinately more.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:35 AM
BMW driver/rider

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci ZHP/05 12GS
Actually the dealer price at Tischer is quite a bit cheaper than Pelican....$92 vs $127.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Does the part number match up with realOEM ? If I were you, I wouldn't mess with precision electronics from anywhere but the dealer. As you have already found out, the money you saved for not going to the dealer parts department had cost you inordinately more.
Not necessarily, because after all this troubleshooting & replacing parts the issue could very well be the VANOS unit itself and not the other parts I've changed. Although, you may be correct, its hard to say at this point
Old 03-14-2010, 10:35 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Quote:
Originally Posted by msouren View Post
Not necessarily, because after all this troubleshooting & replacing parts the issue could very well be the VANOS unit itself and not the other parts I've changed. Although, you may be correct, its hard to say at this point
I agree......