Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus RX350
If you had to do it over again, would you choose differently

Hi all,

I am in the middle of buying a 2013 x3 35i. I placed the order with Alpine White exterior and oyster leather interior. The next day I called and changed to Black Carbon exterior. And then today I changed it back to Alpine White and am rethinking the oyster decision in favor of the Mojave brown.

The reason I am posting in this forum is to see for those of you who have had your x3 for awhile now, how do you feel about your interior/exterior color selections? Would you make the same choices now?

I think the Black Carbon is beautiful but will show scratches and dirt worse than white. And on the interior, I am starting to think that the oyster is too much white in the vehicle and that it will look dinghy after awhile.

Any experience or insights you can share would be much appreciated.

Meagan
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335i Sedan w/ Prem/Spo
The oyster interior look real crisp if you take good care of it and screams class.

But yea, it gets dirty. I've heard people say it gets jean stains and stuff (hasn't happened in my new CPO yet but I've old had it 6 weeks or so).
Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Daisy, I would never get a black interior again! I know that is not one of those under consideration. It has been a nightmare to keep clean, the dust shows up everywhere and it just looks cheap. OTOH, I do love the ocean blue exterior. Great color, does not show the dirt much, and just looks "nice". Overall, I made a mistake when I bought my X3 in '06. Back then there was little to choose from if you wanted a "performance" SUV/SAV. I should have just gone ahead and gotten the Porsche Cayenne and paid the extra bucks. Oh well, "could'a, would'a, should'a".
Old 07-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3 3.0si Black
Personally, I feel any light colored interior needs to be taken care if you want to maintain the look that you had on your car when you drove her off the lot. Without good care its not the same but on a darker interior you can still be fine without cleaning it often. My earlier 328i was with black interior which I hardly cleaned and now I have a black exterior with light grey interior which needs regular cleaning.

In the options that you have -- I would think Apline white with mojave brown would look stunning as White w/oyster X3's are pretty common. That way you just need to clean the exterior whcih is much easier than cleaning the interior
Old 07-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
I have sapphire black with tobacco brown interior. They now offer Mojave. If I went alpine white there is no question a out. Mojave brown interior. The brown is extremely easy to maintain and contrasts nicely with white or black.

Sent from my DROIDX
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 07-19-2012, 08:51 PM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Love my Alpine White with tan interior. Don't look back!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:21 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
My father always said something about black cars that's stuck with me: it only looks good in the showroom... About the time I was getting my driver's license, he had a '78 Chevy Impala with a black exterior, and it was a real chore to keep that thing clean-looking. Water spots are a common feature on dark exteriors; you about have to polish a black finish every time you wash it...

In contrast, I've had three vehicles (including my X3) with a white exterior; it's one of the easiest exterior colors to maintain. One of my sisters also had a Grand Am that was white; she beat that car mercilessly, and it rarely got washed until my father did it for her. But once it was clean, it still looked sharp!

Regarding the interior color, it almost turns into the opposite: the lighter colors will require more effort to keep them clean-looking. I've had several vehicles with all-black interiors, and I think they're less effort to keep clean-looking than my X3 with a combination beige/black interior (beige seats and headliner, black carpeting and dash) -- and it's the beige surfaces that show the dirt. But still -- the beige is a really elegant-looking color with the Alpine White, so I don't think I would have gone with another combination...

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 07-19-2012, 10:06 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
^^^ What timfitz63 said.

Alpine White with light gray interior, aluminum trim and I really like the combo. It does look sharp. The light gray interior does show dirt a lot more, of course, and the blue jeans stain is true but it isn't that hard to clean off with some leather care products. I love the white exterior too. I've had black, blue, and red cars and the white doesn't seem to show/look dirty near as badly as the other colors. Plus with this Texas sun beating down on it the white reflects more heat. At 3 oclock in the afternoon a black car can actually burn sensitive skin while white is only warm to the touch.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0i
I have Silver Gray with black interior. Love my color combo. But if I could do it all over again, I'd get an LCI X3 Alpine White with black interior.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:24 PM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGirl View Post
Hi all,

I am in the middle of buying a 2013 x3 35i. I placed the order with Alpine White exterior and oyster leather interior. The next day I called and changed to Black Carbon exterior. And then today I changed it back to Alpine White and am rethinking the oyster decision in favor of the Mojave brown.

The reason I am posting in this forum is to see for those of you who have had your x3 for awhile now, how do you feel about your interior/exterior color selections? Would you make the same choices now?

I think the Black Carbon is beautiful but will show scratches and dirt worse than white. And on the interior, I am starting to think that the oyster is too much white in the vehicle and that it will look dinghy after awhile.

Any experience or insights you can share would be much appreciated.

Meagan
My 530i with SP is black and freakin beautiful!

A white car will never look as sexy and mysterious as a black car. Black cars are simply sexier than the rest.

If sexy and mysterious is not the look you want go with white. Dust and dirt show on both equally so there is no advantage to having white for the sake of less dirt showing. Silver shows the least dirt.

I'd say white is more elegant while black is sexier.

I wouldn't trade my black car for any other color. I'm a sexy mysterious guy so I drive a sexy mysterious car. We make a great team.

I don't routinely polish my car. It remains clean because it is garage kept. I do have a duster with a handle on it that I use once a week before heading out for the weekend.

There is no wrong answer. Buy the color and style that best fit your looks and personality.

White BMWs remind me of Volvos for some reason. They seem more conservative or restrained. Nothing wrong with it though. Just pick a color that fits your personality. Nothing else matters.

Last edited by seemyad; 07-22-2012 at 09:04 PM.