Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-21-2010, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: X3
2006 BMW- Newbie questions

Hello. I just tried to write this post, and somehow I lost it! So here is the shorter version. lol.

I am looking for purchase a 2006 BMW X3 in the very near future. I know I want the premium package and the cold weather package. I cannot, however, afford one with the bluetooth already in it.

Seems how they are all wried for a cell phone already, and the premium package should have the BMW assist, I was wondering if you can tell me the what and the where about the parts I would need to hook my cell phone up so it goes through the speakers and can be used with the button on the steering wheel.

Also, will a car with the above mentioned info have a plug in for the ipod to be hooked up directly to the car? I was told they all had it, but I drove a very basic model the other day, and it didn't have it.

Finally, what is the opinion on the heated steering wheel? Can't live without it or not that great? I found a car that I love, but don't want to "settle" for anything, and it doesn't have the heated steering wheel. Just wondering if I'm really missing out.

Thanks for any and all answers. I just want to make sure I get the right one, because I will be keeping it for a LONG time
Ads by Google
Old 01-21-2010, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 & 2009 Carrera
You write "I cannot, however, afford one with the bluetooth already in it."
I bought my "pre-owned" 2006 X3 around 1/2 year ago for a very good price and it had Bluetooth in it (the dealer didn't even advertise it).
So I wouldn't be too sure that it's so much more expensive.
About the AUX port: It all depends what the original owner "cherry picked" mine didn't have it and I installed the DICE iPOD kit (which also have AUX), whcih wasn't that terribly expensive
There are many threads about aftermarket bluetooth on this board, do a bit of search and you should find all your answers
Old 01-21-2010, 04:48 PM

Thank you! I am researching the DICE kit, but right on their website it says:

"IMPORTANT: This product is NOT compatible with 2006 model year X3 vehicles. It is currently undergoing software updates to correct this problem, so check back soon if you have a 2006 X3 and would like to buy this product. No other X3's are affected."

But you are saying you hooked it up in a 2006?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 & 2009 Carrera
Yep,

works great

Just contact the guys at BSW directly. They are very knowledgeable, very responsive and they are not just some stupid reseller, they really know their stuff and their BMW
But yes I see that it says this here: http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...d-Kit-by-DICE/

Weird ...
Old 01-21-2010, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 Blue & silv.325ci
Welcome to the board, Peace. I bought an X3 in September and have already hit 8,000 miles. The dealers often don't know if it has bluetooth either, as I showed three of them where it was. You can easily verify if the car has bluetooth by opening the rear hatch. On the left rear wall is a compartment that is accessed by pushing a button on the top to release the cover. If it has bluetooth, there will be a box on the bottom (about 10" long x 3" wide) with a Motorola decal. On the decal are the initials PK with a four digit number after. That is the passkey to access the bluetooth. Believe any that had BMW assist have bluetooth as well

I really enjoy the bi-directional Xenon lights on mine. They looked like a gimik when I first saw them from Lexus, but they actually do help for safer nighttime driving. Good luck on finding your perfect vehicle as you're better waiting to be happy with what you want, not what the dealer has on their lot. I got mine on Ebay, b.t.w.
Most of all, enjoy the drive!
Old 01-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
in 2006, in USA, if the car has Premium Package, it HAS bluetooth. it was part of the package.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 01-21-2010, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceLoveSteno View Post
Hello. I just tried to write this post, and somehow I lost it! So here is the shorter version. lol.

I am looking for purchase a 2006 BMW X3 in the very near future. I know I want the premium package and the cold weather package. I cannot, however, afford one with the bluetooth already in it.

Seems how they are all wried for a cell phone already, and the premium package should have the BMW assist, I was wondering if you can tell me the what and the where about the parts I would need to hook my cell phone up so it goes through the speakers and can be used with the button on the steering wheel.

Also, will a car with the above mentioned info have a plug in for the ipod to be hooked up directly to the car? I was told they all had it, but I drove a very basic model the other day, and it didn't have it.

Finally, what is the opinion on the heated steering wheel? Can't live without it or not that great? I found a car that I love, but don't want to "settle" for anything, and it doesn't have the heated steering wheel. Just wondering if I'm really missing out.

Thanks for any and all answers. I just want to make sure I get the right one, because I will be keeping it for a LONG time
If it doesn't have bluetooth, you can purchase the BMW bluetooth ULF module on ebay-you'll likely get older versions as the newest (13th generation) is $600 plus. Also check out www.bimmernav.com. They sell the 13th generation and have lots of information about the bluetooth ULF, to include installation.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceLoveSteno View Post

1. If you get the premium package you'll have bluetooth or BMW assist. If you have BMW assist you'll need a BMW ULF and pairing button either of which can be had at Ebay or Bimmernav.com

2. You can get an AUX 3.5 jack for $30 easy to install or Dice Silverline that plugs into the CD changer wiring.

3. If you live in a cold weather area you definately want the heated steering wheel. Xeons are something you want also.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:39 PM

I do live in Upstate NY, so I am feeling a little bad now about going without the heated steering wheel....

I did find a HID conversion kit thought for $80, and I have someone who can put them in. I don't think that would be too big of a deal. If anyone's interested, this is the website: http://www.hidxenonheadlights.com/BMW-X3-HID-Kits/

I wanted to know the thoughts on mileage on these cars. I actually drive around 30,000 miles a year. So I need my vehicle to last for a long time while enduring many miles. How long do these babies last? lol. I am looking at buying something with 35,000 miles versus something with 50,000 miles... I hate to stick my nose up at 50,000 miles, but I just am not sure if it would last as long as I need.

I really want to reiterate how much I appreciate all of the help on here. This is a big decision for me, and I am not financially fit to just buy any x3 that I want. It's so hard to choose between what I want to give up, and what I can't live without.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
I have a 2006 X3 with Premium, Cold, M Sport and it did not have the Bluetooth. However I installed a Kenwood interface which controls the Iphone/Ipod and it has bluetooth. It is straight forward installation and it looks very clean. I posted a thread a few weeks ago. I am happy with it.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=421007
Old 01-24-2010, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Peace, if you didn't get the heated steering wheel here is a trick that I use to warm my hands whilst driving. I turn the heater up to 72 on auto, then punch the middle button on the heater control that shows the stick figures and direct the flow to the wheel. Once the heater gets going it works great. Blows hot air right at the "10 and 2 O'clock" position where your hands are (supposed to be anyway) holding the wheel. Make sure the little rotary knob in the center dash vent is turned to the three red dots too.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 AM

Thank you for that!! Thankfully, to my surprise, I bought this car because he found out it did have a heated steering wheel!! lol. On the advice here, I was going to say no and wait until I found it. I was super psyched when he told me that it actually was there.

My car is black on black with terracotta leather!!! And I was able to hook my blackberry storm up to the bluetooth very easily, but wasn't able to transfer my phone book Even though it does show up on the radio display, I can't just "dial name".

And the only other complaint is that I cannot hook up my ipod up and use the radio controls No MP3 hookup. So I might go with the DICE system.

I am so excited!!
Old 01-24-2010, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
I tried the Dice and was very unhappy with it. Functionally crippled and picks up interference from the digital signals in the X3's wiring system. This is with iPhone 3Gs, and no Nav in the X3. I had to resort to using the iPhone controls (when the Dice didn't defeat them) so there was no point in having the Dice. I would be dubious of their ability to fix software for any year, and there is no way to download a software upgrade to an existing unit.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:08 AM

Any idea the cost for having a dealership I didn't buy it from put in their ipod system?