Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-21-2010, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 320 TURBO DIESEL
Wink Alternator overheating

LOOKING FOR INFORMATION IN THE TECHNICAL FORUM
can anyone feed me some information on why a perfectly good Alternator should develop
overheating symptoms directly after the reconnection of the battery.
I removed the battery to boost its performance after a recent spell of bad weather.
after returning the battery to the car I am experiencing extremely overheating within
the workings of the alternator.Can any members who have experienced similar problems
enlighten me of any knowledge they have experienced.
The car in question is a BMW 3 SERIES TURBO DIESEL manufactured in 2001
model 320 d
Ads by Google
Old 01-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Sponsor

Mein Auto: European Cars Galore
When you removed the battery, did you charge it? If so, it is possible that the battery has been over charged and is causing an issue with the alternator. A brand new alternator should not be overheating unless it is faulty.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:25 PM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
In the E39 section, I read that leaves, etc blocking the alternator duct can cause it to heat up as well.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:10 AM

checked out vents in alternator casings all vents are free from obstuctions
thanks for your input all these things are relevent to finding the reason for overheating

The alternator was obviously operating alright prior to disconnecting the battery whatever is causing this fault has been caused directly by the disconnection or reconnection of the
battery.prior to this the alternator and all items related with same were working smoothly
and noise free most faults involved with the alternator are usually mechanical
ie; brushes failing on the slip rings or bearing failure on the stator.Both of these failures are made aware by a high pitched whine.In this case no signals are present that the alternator is suffering from a mechanical failure.

Is there someone within the forum who has suffered a similar problem and found a resolution that could help //All such assistance would be gratefully appreciated

Best Regards
To all Respondants
Johnst-H
Old 01-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
If you did not charge the battery while it was disconnected it may be discharged to the point that the alternator is overheating trying to get it back to a proper charge. The purpose of the alternator is to recharge a battery that has MILDLY been discharged due to starting the car, not to recharge it from way past it's normal discharge point. That's why we always recommend a battery tender or c-tec to people that store their cars for a while.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:31 PM

the battery was given a slow recharge until it reached a yellow light scenario in the battery condition window
this yellow light I am describing indicates that the battery has attained its full charge and is ready to be refitted to the vehicle
After removing the battery from the charger the terminals were cleaned to give the battery a positive clean contact with its terminals
The battery was then refitted to the vehicle. I was greatly surprised to discover that on driving the car a short distance I realised there was a problem
when there was an overheating smell invading the passenger space.Istopped immediatly to find that the temperature coming from the alternator was the cause of the smell. I towed the vehicle home and it will remain out of service until I can discover WHY!
Old 01-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Here in the States the battery eye has to be green to indicate a full charge. Your battery may have an internal short. Have the battery load tested (not just voltage), to be sure it is actually good. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:53 AM

your right a yellow light indicates a flat or damaged battery getting it checked out for damage.
Will replace THE battery if repairs are impossible
Old 01-31-2010, 05:12 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
Here in the States the battery eye has to be green to indicate a full charge. Your battery may have an internal short. Have the battery load tested (not just voltage), to be sure it is actually good. Good luck!
the
Old 01-31-2010, 05:15 AM

the battery was replaced 29th January to eliminate same but still getting high temperature from the Alternater
has any member found a solution to my predicament ?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:18 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
I thought it was normal for an alternator to get hot?
Old 02-10-2010, 02:36 AM

I mean hot! Not warm
Old 02-10-2010, 03:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
mujju might be right - how do you know it's too hot? Maybe the opinion of a local mechanic would be warranted? Or find someone that will let you compare the temp of theirs to yours?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:13 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci M-Sport
Did you see smoke ? That would be hot.