Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-22-2010, 05:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3/X3
Battery issues and airport parking

We are planning to park our X3 at the airport for over a week. The problem is that we are concerned about the battery since even though we have a brand new battery, our 2005 X3 failed to start twice in the cold weather recently. Keeping it parked for over a week will likely be a problem. If I disconnect the battery, the car is unlocked which isn't good! The airport is quite a distance from us and it would be inconvenient to get a taxi. What to do???
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2010, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Get a "Battery Buddy" for $30 or so at your friendly auto supply store, charge it up and keep it in the back. Then if your X3 lets you down you have a ready made jump to get you out of the long term lot and back home. Practice hooking it up in the daylight using the terminals in the "box" located at the righthand side of the engine compartment (read the manual) so it won't have to be a "learning experience" at midnight during a snow storm. BTW your X3 shouldn't be discharging the battery this way, you almost certainly have something wrong that your dealer/shop can't find. You need to get another shop's opinion IMHO.

Last edited by UncleJ; 01-22-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
BMW sells a solar battery charger. You just place it on your dash and plug it into your power port. If you will be parking your car outdoors, it might be worth a try.

If you google "BMW solar charger" you will find some examples.

BMW part number: 82 30 0 143 365

Good luck

BMW CCA #422951

Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3man View Post
We are planning to park our X3 at the airport for over a week. The problem is that we are concerned about the battery since even though we have a brand new battery, our 2005 X3 failed to start twice in the cold weather recently. Keeping it parked for over a week will likely be a problem. If I disconnect the battery, the car is unlocked which isn't good! The airport is quite a distance from us and it would be inconvenient to get a taxi. What to do???
AAA road side service if you are beyond the BMW road side assistance. I don't know how BMW road side assistance is.

At least in the past you could sign up for AAA, even let your membership lapse and then call their 800 number for help and renew your membership over the phone. I don't know if it still works that way.

They have always been terrific plus they give you tons of maps. In case of towing though they had to be asked to bring the flatbed.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:18 PM
sapper

Mein Auto: 02 WRX, 06 X3
I had the same problem, the x3 sat in the cold for a couple of weeks, wouldn't start. I'm going to have the dealer check the battery next time I come in for a service. The solar charger sounds interesting, but is pricey. And it'll be no good if you get snow on the windshield which blocks out the sun. The $30 battery/starter unit is the way to go in my opinion as long as it works as advertised.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
I have left my 05 out in the snow and cold for a week or more numerous times with no problems.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper