Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Putting my X3 to work (2010 M3 & 2013 M5 content)

Another gorgeous weekend here in Seattle. I took my 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual, m-sport, premium, xenons, pdc) out into the Cascades again this weekend. Forest Service road 657 definitely required some ground clearance. But the best part was pulling back onto WA Rt. 2 after the hike. I jumped into traffic a string of traffic and ripped off 1-2-3-4 shifts up to red line and surprised the guy behind me. He expected to have to brake for me, but I ended up leaving him well behind me as I accelerated into the incline heading up to Stevens Pass.

Today I drove a good friend's 2010 BMW M3 over to BMW of Bellevue so that he could test drive the new M5. First, the M3 is a blast! It has seemingly limitless power, and the DCT with paddle shifters are actually quite fun. My favorite part was tightening up the steering in "M sport mode" which really made the car come alive. For an afternoon, the DCT was fun, but I think I still prefer a manual for my daily driver.

The M5 was an absolutely beast. It's simply gorgeous inside and out (alpine white with black interior and all of the options), and the power is staggering. But for an MSRP of $105K, it better be! I loved all the bells and whistles, but the B&O stereo was a highlight. There are three issues as I see it: 1) Cost, 2) there is so much power that it's wasted here in the US with our 65 MPH speed limits, and 3) all of those bells and whistles would be a nightmare to deal with outside of warranty. As it is, my friend is concerned about buying out his M3 lease due to some nagging issues.

By comparison, my X3 is very simple, has few tech gadgets, and it's been remarkably reliable for the last 7 years. So, no M3 for me, and definitely no M5. On the other hand, I was tempted by a 135is coupe with a 6-spd manual in the showroom...

-James
Seattle, WA

Forest Service Rd 657

Glacier Peak and the Cascades range

Rt. 2 is a fun road.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 07-14-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2013, 03:56 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Golf R

Hey Bud, If you want a great little car to replace your X3 I just bought one of these a month ago and love it. It will easily hold its own against a 335 so suspect it will give the 1 series a run for its money and offers a whole lot more.

It is AWD, gets good gas mileage, and super fun to drive. Plus its MT.

Cheers,

EE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lola1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	386947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lola.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	386948  
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 07-16-2013, 07:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
I've been looking at the Golf-R closely. A few questions for you. 1) Did you have to order it, or could you find one in inventory? 2) If ordered, how long did it take? 3) Did the dealer demand MSRP or could you negotiate since it's the last year of this platform? 4) Any issues so far?

Thanks!
-James
Seattle, WA