Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-02-2010, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 05' X3 3.0I/05' Honda S2k
I have the same issue with 05 X3, as long as I can remember I usually follow the 'pause' instruction below. It works most times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
Mine does it every now and then, I had posted it here too. Dealer also said it was "normal", so I started paying more attention as to when it happens. For some reason something tells me is related to the switch, If I make a little "pause" between the pos. 2 and "start" it NEVER does it; but if I go from pos. 0 to "start" in a fast- one movement, it's when it happens-not all the time, but when it happens, is when I forget to "pause".
Old 02-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Happened to me again this afternoon. I think it's not a major problem at this point, as long as the vehicle itself starts eventually.

I'm using Shell gasoline on this tank, and it's made driveability worse. It downshifts more often to maintain speed and the hard start this afternoon further makes me doubt the qualifications of "Top Tier" fuel.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0i
It happened 3 times to me today.
(All happened when I tried without waiting for beeps. lol, I was in a hurry.)

And has anyone of you noticed this problem happening more often(easily) when the car is parked on an incline?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: '11 328xi, '09 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post

I'm using Shell gasoline on this tank, and it's made driveability worse. It downshifts more often to maintain speed and the hard start this afternoon further makes me doubt the qualifications of "Top Tier" fuel.
I had a very similar experience with Shell while towing our boat from SC to WI. When I used Shell gas, the vehicle didn't like maintaining speed on inclines. When I used BP, it accelerated better and maintained speed.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I haven't noticed any difference between Shell, Chevron, or Valero gas that I usually use. They all work just fine, except for the chronic BMW long crank when warm (sometimes). I try to use Chevron because (1) it is usually cheaper than Shell and (2) it contains Techron.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
SAME problem. Possible solution!!!

I am in Toronto Canada. We had this same issue, the dealer checked a few times in the past year or so but couldn't find the issue. The warrany is coming up in April so I took the car in two weeks ago and demanded them to do something. They have then replaced the in tank fuel pump.

16-11-7-159-604 In-tank pump
61-36-8-373-700 relay

then, there were misfire issues, so they have then replaced these parts as "good will warranty repair"

11-61-7-504-536 Crankcase Vent Pipe, Return Pipe from Connecting Hose
11-15-7-532-629 Crankcase Vent Hose
11-61-7-534-237 Vent Valve Assembly Crankcase (Cold Climate Version)

I was told there is a engine design flaw that causes misfire and condensation in the engine.

So far, we haven't had the same problem..

This is very frustructing that a Bimmer is giving us this problem.

I will keep you all posted.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
It happens to our 04 X3 3.0 in Toronto Canada. It happend like 2-3 times a week or 2 times a day, no pattern at all. I have an 01 330i which has the same engine, but that engine starts in a splite second. What a big difference.

Local dealer had not been able to find the root cause, or couldn't even reproduce the same issue. We have tried to video tape it...but never got it on video. We tool photos of dash info whenever it happened. Ater a year and a half, they replaced the in-tank fuel pump this week and then just 2 days later, it happened again.

I am feeling but what can I or we do? This should happen to a BMW. It's VERY FRUSTRATING!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 AM

I found an interesting Service Bulletin on 2006 X3s regarding this issue:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
NHTSA Item Number: 10028464
Service Bulletin #: SIB-12-17-07
Replacement #:
Vehicle/Equipment Make: BMW
Vehicle/Eqipment Model: X3
Model Year: 2006
Mfg Component Code: 061000 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Date of Bulletin: 2008-06-01
Date Added: 2009-05-05
Summary: BMW VEHICLE: ENGINE ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS. POOR THROTTLE RESPONSE; LACK OF POWER WHEN ACCELERATING; ENGINE MAY CRANK TOO LONG BEFORE STARTING; LOSS OF POWER AT IDLE OR WHEN SLOWING TO A STOP. E83 (X3) MODELS. *PE
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think that could be a possible solution?
"Engine may crank too long before starting" is the only symptom I have from the above TSB. Hmm...
Old 03-09-2010, 09:18 PM

Interesting post. I brought my 2006 X3 in for service soon after I brought it home with the same "start up" concerns. The service rep at my local BMW dealership told me it was normal for X3's and not to worry. In the his defense, I never had a serious problem with it other than it taking a few seconds longer than usual so I accepted his explanation. However, I would be very interested if a solution to this is identified.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

The warm weather seems to have greatly reduced the frequency of these longer cranks. Have only had a couple incidents of it since a few weeks ago.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
I created another post on here but I'll post here. I'm having the same problem on my 04. Anyone have a solid fix?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreezy View Post
I created another post on here but I'll post here. I'm having the same problem on my 04. Anyone have a solid fix?
Nope- The misterious and unexpected "long cranks" still unresolved...

Unless someone else figured it out and is not telling us!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:10 PM

Makes me feel better others have the problem and it appears to not be major. I thought I'd sound like I'm crazy lol
Old 11-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreezy View Post
Makes me feel better others have the problem and it appears to not be major. I thought I'd sound like I'm crazy lol
It kind of annoys me when it happens but, since every occurance is so far apart, that I'm not worried. I don't see it as a problem at this point.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
My engine's got 112,500 miles on it... only time this has ever happened to me was when I spun out in the snow, and the engine was forced backwards for a split second before i threw the clutch down. 40k miles later, and the car still runs beautifully (and puts 205hp/205torque down to the wheels according to a dynamometer)
Old 11-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
It kind of annoys me when it happens but, since every occurance is so far apart, that I'm not worried. I don't see it as a problem at this point.
Ditto. It occurs very, very rarely on my X3 now so I'm not concerned.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Aficionado

Yeah, for some reason, this is X3-specific. I never had that problem with our e46.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:18 PM

Mine had same problem, it turned out to be a leaking fuel injector. It was replaced and ever since my X3 has started up instantly everytime.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic1 View Post
Not to sound repetitive to my above post, but the pause would allow the fuel pressure to build back up. Still sounds like a pressure loss in the fuel system to me.
I agree. This would be the first thing to check. I can't believe everyone's battery is low or everyone has a corroded terminal on their starter that suddenly fixes itself after 7 cranks, so there are only two other alternatives, air or fuel. Air is not an issue so I would look at fuel. The correct method to confirm would be for the dealer to place gages on the fuel system and check the fuel pressure after the car has set still for a couple hours. This does take a little time and the dealers in my opinion are not spending the time to eliminate this as a possibility.

I don't know if the X3 has a fuel accumulator, but my Porsche 911 does. The purpose is to maintain pressure in the system after the car has been turned off. If the diaphrapm in the accumulator is bad and allows the pressure to drop off, it has to build back up again, then the car starts. This can take 6 or 7 cranks to build back up then it start. I'll try to find a post on fuel accumulator symptoms and post a link. I understand we're talking about a different vehicle, but the principle may be the same. In addition, since the vapor point of gasoline decreases with pressure, a hot engine will vaporize the remaining liquid in the line to the injectors where it would not if the pressure was above the vapor point. As long as pressure is up, the gas will remain in a liquid state; allow the pressure to drop and the liquid vaporizes so now the car has an additional problem;, vapor going to the injectors until the fuel pump can build the pressure back up.

Actually did a quick check at one of the bimmer parts sites and searched for "fuel accumulator". I didn't see one but that doesn't mean the X3 doesn't have one. I would talk in person to one of the salesmen to see what maintains fuel pressure in an X3; could be a bad accumulator or even a leaking check valve.

Ok, I found this link to testing an accumulator. I know it's not an X3 but the principle would be the same. Just need to determine if the X3 has the equivalent part and if not what it uses to maintain pressure when the fuel pump is off.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...show-tell.html

Last edited by bimmernut1; 11-24-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: add link and clarification
Old 11-24-2010, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
upon further investigation

It appears the X3 may not have an accumulator, instead it appears from the attached link that the fuel filter comes with a pressure regulator. My guess is the regulator is suppose to not only regulate pressure when fuel flows in the forward direction, but close tightly when the fuel pump is off. It could be the regulator is allowing the pressure to bleed off.

Take a look at this diagram and see what you think. Replacing the fuel filter/regulator would be an inexpensive option if you're having starting problems; especially since the fuel filter should be considered a maintenance item anyway. I recently replaced the filter on my M5 although it doesn't have the regulator.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...70&hg=16&fg=15
Old 04-18-2011, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 05' X3 3.0I/05' Honda S2k
Replaced battery lately, it seems it helped reduce the long crank.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Bimmer Dreamer

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
I find that before 'Starting' I move the key to 'On' for a couple of seconds, then 'Start' Bingo! Starts right up. This actually engages the electric fuel pump before Starting.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Welcome to spring and the hotter temperatures and ethonal into our gasoline which lowers the boiling point.

With the warm weater and the additional of ethonal, when we shut our cars off the underhood temperatures rise and the fuel will boil in the fuel rails. Fuel injectors require liquid fuel to inject fuel into the cylinders. Fuel injectors do nothing when there is vapor in the rails. As you crank and crank the fuel pump is pushing fluid into the rail and when the vapor is pushed out, the engine starts. You might notice a slight misfire for a second or two until all injectors have purged.

You can add Techron, but all that it is doing is cleaning the tops of the intake valves and the injectors. Techron will not do anything to the ethonal and the proble remains

Ethonal is regulated to 10% volume. The only thing you can do is try other fuels and hope you can find one with a lower percentage of ethonal.

This kinda common with fuel injection. In the early days manufactures were adding fans and ducts to try and cool the fuel faster and prevent boil. Some went with dual fuel pumps. There were all kinds of mods flying around in the late 70's. In my Cessna 182, there was a revised start procedure developed to get that hot engine to fire.

Don't worry, as we approach fall-winter the problem will disappear

Last edited by THK; 04-23-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 04-23-2011, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 528Xi
Of course, it happens in the winter, too.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoman707 View Post
Mine has done this, although it is rare. Maybe 2 or 3 times during a week - then doesn't occur again in the next six to eight months. Never could put a rhyme or reason to it - though it seems to be during warm weather. Nothing stands out regarding how warm or cold the engine is.

Once I identify that it is happening - I immediately turn the key off and try again rather than continue grinding. Second attempt it always starts right up with no hesitation.
Exact same thing just started happening to me...