Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-11-2013, 05:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Brownie points to me for performing a search.

Anyways, I started to notice this on my X3 yesterday. Granted I did an oil change but that shouldn't be the problem. I purchased this vehicle from a private seller, and not really sure what maintenance was performed. (Roughly ~60k miles) I usually put the key to position 2 and wait to hear the fuel lines open up before I actually crank the car and it usually works every time. On the off occasion I don't do this, it takes a 3+ sec to start.

There is no loss of power, slightest stumble during acceleration, Fuel efficiency is fine since I took it on a 75 mile trip after oil change to move the fluids around, averaged 25mpg, no service lights

So, its a rare occurence but still bothers me, fuel regulator/pump on the way out? Fuel filter? Bottle of Techron? Battery (not sure if its the original or not - vehicle is 2006) are all possible fixes to prevent this "long crank"? I have never had this issue on my 2000 323Ci, and that has 102k miles on it
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |

Last edited by jdauria; 01-11-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3
Re: Long Cranks to Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlas75 View Post
Interesting post. I brought my 2006 X3 in for service soon after I brought it home with the same "start up" concerns. The service rep at my local BMW dealership told me it was normal for X3's and not to worry. In the his defense, I never had a serious problem with it other than it taking a few seconds longer than usual so I accepted his explanation. However, I would be very interested if a solution to this is identified.
I have this issue ever since i bought my 04, 3.0l @87k miles about 2.5 years ago. went through explaining the situation to my Indy, who could not duplicate the problem. vehicle is well maintained and is in good working condition, but problem at start up is a mystery with these x3s as i am reading and learning from this forum. Great vehicle, performance and comfort wise. I was wondering if it had to do with the fuel injectors and techron would be the primary solution.

Sent from my LG-MS840 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-22-2013, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3
Re: Long Cranks to Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdauria View Post
Brownie points to me for performing a search.

Anyways, I started to notice this on my X3 yesterday. Granted I did an oil change but that shouldn't be the problem. I purchased this vehicle from a private seller, and not really sure what maintenance was performed. (Roughly ~60k miles) I usually put the key to position 2 and wait to hear the fuel lines open up before I actually crank the car and it usually works every time. On the off occasion I don't do this, it takes a 3+ sec to start.

There is no loss of power, slightest stumble during acceleration, Fuel efficiency is fine since I took it on a 75 mile trip after oil change to move the fluids around, averaged 25mpg, no service lights

So, its a rare occurence but still bothers me, fuel regulator/pump on the way out? Fuel filter? Bottle of Techron? Battery (not sure if its the original or not - vehicle is 2006) are all possible fixes to prevent this "long crank"? I have never had this issue on my 2000 323Ci, and that has 102k miles on it
I just put a 12 oz bottle of techron last week when i filled 15 gal of 93. Lets see! I got a tune up and vcg replacement as the vehicle is reaching 100k miles service interval. The original vcg started to leak out at 96k miles, so it had to be replaced. I got battery replaced last september and still have the issue, so i can safely say it is not the battery. Fuel filter is my next project.

Sent from my LG-MS840 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-23-2013, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
same on 2007 3.0si

About a month and a half ago I got a 2007 3.0si with about 67k miles and it also takes longer than 3s of cranking to start first thing every morning. No problem at all once it's started for the day and warm, it's always slow to start after sitting overnight and it'sbelow 50F outside. The battery was original so I just replaced it, but the temps here have been at or over 50F for the nights so no starting problems. It's just getting cold again so I'll see how it starts tomorrow morning. I was beginning to think this was only my problem and if it was particular to a straight 6 engine, I've only ever driven American v6's or v8's.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:36 AM

still long cranking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrdad View Post
About a month and a half ago I got a 2007 3.0si with about 67k miles and it also takes longer than 3s of cranking to start first thing every morning. No problem at all once it's started for the day and warm, it's always slow to start after sitting overnight and it'sbelow 50F outside. The battery was original so I just replaced it, but the temps here have been at or over 50F for the nights so no starting problems. It's just getting cold again so I'll see how it starts tomorrow morning. I was beginning to think this was only my problem and if it was particular to a straight 6 engine, I've only ever driven American v6's or v8's.
Yesterday after work it was in the 40's and the car took about a good 3s+ of cranking to start. I still can't imagine this is normal, but after reading through this thread I do not see any clear cut answer for this problem. And yes I understand it could be particular to each car and it's variables, e.g., year, mileage, gas, driving history,...............etc. It just seems unique that there seem to be quite a few cars with this problem.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: X3, 528i
I recently have been having this problem on my '05. Mornings and when the car sits for a few hours, it is apparent that the cranking is longer than normal. I thought it might be the fuel pump/filter and checked with my neighbor who runs a primary German car Indy shop and he said that's likely. Not getting pressure. He's gonna look at it next week. Normally I'd DIY but I'd rather not mess with the fuel tank.

I'll report my findings in a few days.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrdad View Post
As usual when I had it into the dealer for the CPO repair of difficulty starting their response was the problem could not be repeated, ..but your battery is 6 years old and you might want to consider replacing it. So then I put in a new Autozone Duralast Gold battery insured that it was fully charged and the hesitation while starting was still there on the one below 50F day we recently had here in Chicago. Now that the temps are well above 60 any start up after the car sits for more than 8 hours is fine, so most likely this problem will not be repeatable until September or October. Im wondering if its the fuel system not maintaining pressure? Im considering telling the dealer Ill pay for a fuel system pressure check to see if anything can be identified. Any BMW techs out there with any thoughts on this.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:07 PM

SA feedback and possible solution

Just this week I dropped it off again for the problem and I told them I'll pay for a fuel system pressure check, then if they find anything it's on the CPO warranty to pay for it. Guess what, I just got a call that there was a severe pressure drop in the fuel system after sitting for 8+ hours and they are replacing the fuel pump and pressure regulator. Most likely I'll never know if the long crank problem at start up is really fixed until it gets cold again in the fall, but at least now they are actually investigating and recognizing that there is a problem.

I'm surprised no one has ever had such a hard time with BMW service and has made a suggestion guide for how to work with BMW concerning problems and how to prod them to actually find the problem.

If anyone has an idea on how to have them check for the 2007 lifter problem please let me know. I had this unusual loud ticking when I first got the car and it was cold, now that it's warm out "it can't be repeated" and I'll be left out in the cold when my CPO warranty expires in 1 month.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:20 PM

Interesting enough, my e83 is at the dealership right now too. They did a pressure test and noticed a drop in pressure. Through further diagnosis they have determined it to be bad fuel injectors and are in the process of seeing which need to be replaced.

Curious that they didn't determine the regulator to be the problem. Afraid to hear the bill.... I guess we'll see if this fixes it. I'll be getting rid of this car in the fall, it's been one thing after another.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
I got my 04 X3 with 86k on it back in February and this problem has plagued me everyday since then. I especially love how the dealer had the car started in advance for me during both my test drives (shady).

BMW told me it was an ignition coil (replaced with my indy)
Then they told me it was a fuel pump, which was thankfully paid for by the dealership that sold me the car - work done w/BMW
PROBLEM PERSISTS --- BMW tells me it's fuel injector #6
I take the car to my indy and they say it's a crank shaft positioning sensor (replaced) problem still persists getting codes for the same sensor, two injectors, and an evap valve or something.

I just had the injectors replaced for $430 and this is still going on. A headlight went out tonight, I need rear brakes and I still have a service light on.. FML this car is sucking me dry.

Tried injector cleaner a month ago, going to give it another shot as well as putting the key in the 2nd position to start. However this cant be normal and it sounds like BMW just doesn't want to deal with this issue.. And this 3-4 second crank is BS because mine goes from 5-7 seconds and it's super embarrassing in a parking lot.

Hopefully someone can figure out the solution to this and keep us posted.. I'll do the same if I make any progress.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by RennaSurraya View Post
I got my 04 X3 with 86k on it back in February and this problem has plagued me everyday since then. I especially love how the dealer had the car started in advance for me during both my test drives (shady).

BMW told me it was an ignition coil (replaced with my indy)
Then they told me it was a fuel pump, which was thankfully paid for by the dealership that sold me the car - work done w/BMW
PROBLEM PERSISTS --- BMW tells me it's fuel injector #6
I take the car to my indy and they say it's a crank shaft positioning sensor (replaced) problem still persists getting codes for the same sensor, two injectors, and an evap valve or something.

I just had the injectors replaced for $430 and this is still going on. A headlight went out tonight, I need rear brakes and I still have a service light on.. FML this car is sucking me dry.

Tried injector cleaner a month ago, going to give it another shot as well as putting the key in the 2nd position to start. However this cant be normal and it sounds like BMW just doesn't want to deal with this issue.. And this 3-4 second crank is BS because mine goes from 5-7 seconds and it's super embarrassing in a parking lot.

Hopefully someone can figure out the solution to this and keep us posted.. I'll do the same if I make any progress.
I hate to say this but this may be one of those issues that only the dealer can get to the bottom of. My dad was a GM dealership tech for 38 years and would get one of these a week (cars that have stumped everybody else). Oftentimes on a flatbed. On a car as old as yours there is likely nothing the dealership hasn't seen before. It won't be cheap though.

Last edited by usaret; 06-30-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:56 PM

I forgot to mention they also finally replaced the lifters under CPO warranty, so at least I got some action in that direction. Regarding the hard starts and the replacement of the fuel pump and pressure regulator I just had done: Without any cold weather it's hard for me to test the effectiveness of that fix, but I've been in Poland for the past two weeks and when I get back it'll be a good test of how well the system held any pressure and whether that fix was correct.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:38 PM

Just to finalize my findings, they eventually decided against the injectors after there was zero pressure the next morning the cranked it. They replaced the fuel pump. We thought this fixed it but I still felt like the crank was long and not resolved. Ultimately,I decided to trade the car in on a 2013 Audi S4. After 3 Bimmers and the headaches of nickel and dime fixes, decided to go back to a new car on the dark side.

Good luck guys. Just wanna say I love my new car
Old 07-01-2013, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Wow, going for an Audi hoping for reliability? Good luck!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post
Wow, going for an Audi hoping for reliability? Good luck!
Hahah no. I went new so I can be under warranty for anything. I've had 3 BMWs and an Audi already. One is no more reliable than the other. I just preferred a '13 s4 to a 335.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 PM

The temps above 70F so it may not mean anything, but after letting the car sit for 3 weeks it started right up with no hesitation. The dealer fix of the fuel pump and pressure regulator might have been spot on, but they only found and recognized the problem after I volunteered to pay for a fuel system pressure check overnight.