Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-25-2014, 01:25 PM
WYKDBMR

Mein Auto: BMW E39 6 Speed
Valley pan leaking or hose?

Hey guys/gals so this morning I get the low coolant message on my 540i. I haven't added coolant for a log time so I topped it off, it was pretty empty. Checked for leaking hoses reservoir tank and all around to find no leaks. I drove to the store parked for about 20 min and as I was leaving I see a small puddle underneath my car of coolant. I get home since I wasn't far and as soon as I am coming in the driveway I stopped the car without turning it off and it is barely leaking little drops from the middle of the car. I turn it off right away and just starts pouring more coolant. I lifted the car and put it on jack stands. The leak is coming down where the drain plug for the transmission is at. It's as if it is leaking somewhere above and going down and dripping where the tranny drain plug is at. If it was the valley pan shouldn't it be leaking where the transmission and engine are bolted up? Could it be a hose??

I need some help on this one please before it gets late so I can repair it. Thank you all in advance.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-25-2014, 01:28 PM
WYKDBMR

And also the car never overheated.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
If you remove the engine cover, and crawl into the engine compartment, you can just barely see the RR corner of the valley pan. If it's leaking, you should see evidence there.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:06 PM
WYKDBMR

Found the ruptured hose! It's the hose that goes from the firewall to the valley pan outlet I'm assuming? It was ruptured on the valley pan outlet side, hence the dripping towards the back of transmission. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1406322199.880627.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	454368Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1406322220.029778.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	454369Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1406322239.407978.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	454370
This hose, it's on the driver's side the third hose I'm pointing at. I removed the cabin air filter housing and was able to remove it. Was a little corroded but got it out. Gonna go to bmw to buy a new one before they close at 4.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1406322255.684465.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	454371

Old 07-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
You should replace all the hoses. The others will split soon.

You're lucky that the failure was soft. If it had blown open, much coolant would have been lost.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:31 PM
WYKDBMR

Yea my brother in law was telling me it was the valley pan lol. I guess I lucked out. Thanks for the input.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:10 PM
WYKDBMR

So I just got back from the dealer. Kid behind the counter going through the computer looking for the part. He then asked me if I have the Vin number??? Really for a heater hose??? So he's like I need the vin number to look for it. I then show him a picture of where it went and he says ohh it might be this one pointing at a diagram on the computer. The diagram he was showing me was a 6 cylinder engine after I told him it was a 540i. The he was like its the same one. Then he said I don't have it in stock. So now it looks like I am going to order it online since neither autozone, napa, or any other auto parts store has it in stock. The only one napa had in stock was a quick release type attachment hose. But mine had clamps on both sides and was over $60 for that hose. This is the part number I got online. 64218391013. I guess I will order online tonight and wait to get it till next week. :/

Old 07-25-2014, 07:03 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorml07 View Post
asked me if I have the Vin number??? Really for a heater hose???
Whatever you learn, please add to this thread so that others don't have to go through what you're going through:
- What is the recommended parts list for a complete cooling system overhaul (1)

It would be nice also, if you make sure this thread has those hoses listed, as I only knew the I6 and didn't do all that well for the V8:
- How to locate all the cooling system hoses in the BMW E39 (1)

I'll also take the liberty of adding your information to this thread so that others benefit from your troubleshooting efforts:
- A pictorial saga of all the ways the cooling system can fail (1)

See also:
- What is the recommended parts list for a complete cooling system overhaul (1) quickie telephone verbal instructions for unlocking the high instrument cluster on the E39 to test the koolant KTMP (1) & how to tell whether you have the high or low on board computer cluster (1) & a video showing how to unlock the low OBC (1) or the high OBC cluster for diagnostics (1) & how to change the OBC MID IHKA KTMP temperature from degrees Celcius to Fahrenheit (1) & how to locate all the cooling system hoses in the BMW E39 (1) & how to non-destructively remove the heater hoses (1) or radiator nipple (1) or expansion tank nipple (1) or overflow hose Oetiker clamp (1) & how not to misplace the thermostat wiring loom (1) & how not to twist a plastic bleeder screw (1) & the cn90 trick to get the fan clutch nut back on (1) & bluebee tricks to get the radiator back on in the I6 automatic (1) & what is the proper coolant level bobber stick height (1) & what to do when your expansion tank coolant level sensor float measuring stick is MIA missing in action (1) & where to find leaks when the CHECK COOLANT LEVEL is lit on the instrument cluster (1) & a pictorial saga of all the ways the cooling system can fail (1) & how to diagnose lack of HVAC/IHKA heater core heat with cooling system (auxiliary pump) at idle (1) & where the coolant level sensor cable goes (1) & what is the o-ring size for the coolant temperature aux fan thermoswitch (1) & how the thermostat works, including what the normal temperature of the coolant is when the thermostat opens under normal conditions (1) & how to remove just the expansion tank to repair a leak during your cooling system overhaul (1) & how the expansion tank works (1) & users' behr/hella cooling system autopsy photos (1) & what to check on your new Behr/Hella expansion tanks to ensure it's not DOA (1) & how to test the cooling system auxiliary electrical fan (1) & a how to replace the aux fan (1) & where is the auxiliary fan fuse F75 (1) & where is the aux fan relay (1) & how to make your own BMW special cooling & belt drive system counterhold tools (1) & how to retrofit brass bleeder screws (1) & how to modify the cooling system expansion tank 2 bar cap to 1.2 bar to vent at a lower pressure (1) & how to modify the cooling system pressure with zero psi coolant (1) & how to eliminate weak recycled plastic with Zionsville aluminum (1) & how not to (JB Weld) fix a cracked radiator or other cooling system overhaul leaks (1) & how to tell the age of your cooling system by its date date codes, stickers, and plastic molded markings (1) & how to retrofit a coolant level sensor to an E39 that doesn't have it (1) & summary advice to provide users who suspect a major engine repair due to overheating (1) & how to test an overheated engine for a blown head gasket, cracked heads, a warped block, stripped head bolt threads, cam seizures, contaminated bearings, coolant hydrolock, or piston, ring, or valve damage (1) & what are the major factors in deciding whether to rebuild the engine, replace the engine, or sell the car (1) & a DIY for replacing the I6 M54 head gasket (1) & a DIY for replacing the V8 M62TU head gasket (1) & why these engines are so prone to heat-related damage in the first place (1) & welding the crack between cylinder #3 and the water jacket on the exhaust side (1) & what engine swaps are most recommended (1) & where to obtain a new or rebuilt head (1) or a replacement short block or long block (1) & how to lift & remove the engine (1) & how long can you drive your BMW E39 with the viscous fan clutch removed (1) & what is the most often recommended coolant (1) & tricks for efficient flushing (1) draining (1) bleeding (1) and coolant refilling DIYs (1)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cooling_system_overhaul.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	454418  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 07-25-2014, 07:58 PM
WYKDBMR

Okay so I will be ordering again from AutohausAZ.com. I got my timing chain tensioner from them and came fairly quickly. Here are some of the hoses they have in stock for anyone wanting to order as well.
https://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...Coolant%20Hose
This is for the 540i.

The one that ruptured on me is this one 64218391013 which is $7.22 plus shipping/handling. It's hard to believe that no auto parts store even the dealer had it in stock. At the end of the day I will be getting a better deal online though so that's a plus!