Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-01-2015, 09:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e36 m3, X5, 74 2002
M62TU vanos solinoid check valve

I need to replace my vanos solenoid check valves, anyone have a DIY? Did not see one in the bestlinks
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2015, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: E39 528ITA
Well, I know there is a piston, oring.. spring and solenoid. Haven't noticed a check valve but if you are looking just to replace the solenoids the dyi are here. you just unscrew them. very simple .. just like a spark plug..

Production FROM : 1998/09/01 TO : 1999/08/31
Old 07-01-2015, 12:55 PM

The check valve is buried inside past the solenoid, part number is 11121706921 I think

Last edited by mrblahh; 07-01-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:16 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I didn't want to say anything because the OP mentioned they looked in the bestlinks, which is the only place I looked.

Therefore, the OP already knows of the Besian DIY (pictured below).

So, what I need to ask then is what's exactly is it you find MISSING in the check-valve removal procedure in the Besian DIY?

Here is just one tiny snippet of that well-known DIY...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	checkvalve.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	517259   Click image for larger version

Name:	checkvalve_small.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	517261   Click image for larger version

Name:	vanos_oil_pressure_check_valve.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	517262  

Last edited by bluebee; 07-01-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:58 PM

I said I searched, did not find it and no you are not hurting my feelings posting info, I did not look at the vanos procedure obviously or I would have seen they mention the check valves

I did find an X5 howto on another forum that has step by step that I needed, no where near as involved as removing a vanos for seals
Old 07-01-2015, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: E39 528ITA
Clever, Clever BB... Hey, isn't your usual pattern to say something on the order of ... I typed /x and then F3 and found?.... I do have one more question, I'm curious, how do you quantify 'well known'? It's not too often that I've seen a thread ask this question in fact I can't recall when was the last time this questions was asked. Thanks in advance..

Production FROM : 1998/09/01 TO : 1999/08/31
Old 07-01-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblahh View Post
I did not look at the vanos procedure obviously or I would have seen they mention the check valves
That explains my confusion because vanos and besian are almost synonymous on this forum, so, I figured you had to have already looked at it.

BTW, I've never done my VAnOS, and I only skimmed the Besian (because I knew if it was important, it would be there), so pardon my dumb question.

But, is it as simple as you screw in a threaded rod, and then you just pull the thing out with backward force?

Quote:
I did find an X5 howto on another forum that has step by step that I needed, no where near as involved as removing a vanos for seals
Would you kindly provide a reference so that I can make this thread here (i.e., your thread) the canonical thread in the bestlinks on how to remove the VANOS solenoid check valve?
- How to remove the VANOS solenoid check valve (x)
(Where x will be this thread.)

That way the next person with the same question stands on your shoulders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2014mp2 View Post
Clever, Clever BB... Hey, isn't your usual pattern to say something on the order of ... I typed /x and then F3 and found?....
I don't see anything clever in what I wrote.
A question was asked, and all I did was look up the question.
Since I found that answer in the same spot anyone would look, I had wondered if the procedure was missing a step or three (it happens).

Nothing clever whatsoever.

Let me tell you my M.O. for most threads:
a) I skim them (if it takes me more than about five seconds to skim the entire thread, that's too long).
b) I decide what the basic question is talking about
c) I type the keywords and provide the link
d) I move on to the next thread.

Since I skim threads, I can easily get the specific question wrong; but, I generally have the general topic figured out in those few seconds.

In most cases (99% of the time lately), the answer to the question has been well documented (as it appears to have been in this case), so, my MO should work if the person clicks on the links.

In this specific case, I had known (from the way the OP was written) that the OP had already said they had clicked on the links, so, I clicked on them myself, to see why they hadn't answered their question.

When I saw the answer as plain as day, I questioned my assessment of the problem set (which sometimes I get wrong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2014mp2 View Post
I do have one more question, I'm curious, how do you quantify 'well known'? It's not too often that I've seen a thread ask this question in fact I can't recall when was the last time this questions was asked. Thanks in advance..
I think you skimmed my answer!
I never said, nor even implied, that the specific question of how to remove the VANOS oil pressure check valve was a well known question.

What I said was that the Besian DIY is pretty much the universal standard for VANOS, so, I knew that anything worth asking about for VANOS removal procedures would be in that DIY.

Again, when the OP intimated that it was not in that DIY (by implying he had checked all the links in the bestlinks that referred to VANOS), I simply LOOKED at the DIY (took me another ten seconds).

When I saw it, I was perplexed, so I asked the OP what was missing from the procedure (since I was sure the OP had seen it since it's the procedure EVERYONE goes to).

Anyway, the answer is simpler than I had thought.

To move forward, I ask the OP to snap a picture or two of the procedure, and we'll make THIS THREAD the canonical thread, so that when someone types in /check valve f3, they'll find this thread in the future.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:05 AM

I would not call this well known as I searched a lot on rattles and find a thousand links to the cam chain tensioner but not this check valve & vanos rattle, I Found the x5 and some landrover info before posting here figuring there was probably an e39 howto somewhere but I have not found one yet, the besian instructions are very different and for a full vanos rebuild, I'm definitely not doing that as my vanos works fine. I have done vanos seals before and will never do one again unless it absolutely requires it.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...ck-valves.html

looks pretty easy
Old 07-02-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I would not call this well known
We're still misunderstanding each other, but, let's drop that discussion, as it's not important what we thought.
What's important is HOW to do the job.

Moving forward, thank you very much for that explicit reference:
Quote:
M62 Vanos Seals and check valves
My X5 started to get a slow leak of oil from each of the Vanos seals. So I replaced the seals and also changed the check valves that are behind the solenoids.

I didn't use the BMW special tool that was mentioned in the Bentley manual. I used some plumbers wrenches that fit the solenoid. I also used a bolt to thread into the check valve and pull it out.

The passengers side was easy. The drivers side involved draining the coolant and removing the water pump - radiator hose assembly.
Took 3 hours taking my time and cleaning things as I went.
What matters is that this thread is now a canonical thread in the bestlinks, so that someone who searches /keyword should find it.
I always try to put keywords into the reference that others would use (even purposefully mis-spelling them, if that's what people use), but I'm not sure what keywords they'd use for this DIY.
And I noticed that the part is listed on the tag in the picture below as a "non-return valve", so, given these keywords ...

How does this proposed bestlinks reference look so that you would have found it, had it existed?
- How to remove the vanos oil pressure solenoid check valve non-return valve (1)

BTW, I wasn't sure exactly what BOLT SIZE to use (thread + pitch + width).
Do you have that bolt size so that the next person starts with the correct size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flastlander.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	517455  

Last edited by bluebee; 07-02-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:04 PM

M10 x 1 but I think m10 x 1.5 threads on enough to get the valve out

I am only replacing the o rings on mine
Old 07-02-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
M10 x 1 but I think m10 x 1.5 threads on enough to get the valve out

I am only replacing the o rings on mine
Thanks for confirming the bolt size, as this canonical thread will help others gather the right tools ahead of time, so it's good that you tell us whatever you can while it's in front of you.

BTW, while it's fresh on your mind, what is the size of the check-valve o-rings?

Note: We would want to add the o-ring size you report to this thread so that others can order it, in advance, during routine parts ordering:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Complete list of all o-rings (by size & by part number) to buy when ordering parts
Old 07-02-2015, 01:32 PM

heck if I know, I have a box of various sizes, when I remove mine I will find one that fits
Old 07-02-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
heck if I know, I have a box of various sizes, when I remove mine I will find one that fits
Generally what is needed is the ID and OD, or the OD and the cross section, usually in millimeters.

I usually measure mine with a mic, but even a caliper would work.