Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-23-2010, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: X-3
07 X-3 making a ticking noise

I just talked my mom into buying an 07 X-3, which is the first BMW she or I have ever owned. It has started to make a ticking noise from the engine and I can't find the dipstick to check the oil. To complicate matters we never received an operating manual so we are really in the dark with this car. I am a car nut but I do not know my way around the BMW models including this X-3. The car has around 36,000 miles currently.
Would someone please advise how to check the oil? And if you have any possibilities for the ticking it is appreciated

Thanks Ben
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
You can download a copy of the owners manual from the BMW USA website.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx

The ticking is usually one of two things. If it is really cold outside, the fuel injectors make a ticking sound. The other is the lifters. It seems like a good number of X3 and 3-series owners experience the lifter sound. There is a "bleeding" process that can be performed to remove air. Also, when the car is driven for longer periods of time, the lifters are supposed to quiet down.
You can search this forum for more information on the lifter noise.

To check the oil level, download the owners manual for exact steps. But, I think you can hold the right button at the bottom of the gauge cluster while the engine is running to check the oil.

Good luck.

BMW CCA #422951

Old 01-23-2010, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the info Al!

Ben
Old 01-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmuddy View Post
I just talked my mom into buying an 07 X-3, which is the first BMW she or I have ever owned. It has started to make a ticking noise from the engine and I can't find the dipstick to check the oil. To complicate matters we never received an operating manual so we are really in the dark with this car. I am a car nut but I do not know my way around the BMW models including this X-3. The car has around 36,000 miles currently.
Would someone please advise how to check the oil? And if you have any possibilities for the ticking it is appreciated

Thanks Ben
There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) out with BMW on fixing this known problem. Since your dealer is trained to immediately deny it, say it isn't happening, or they all operate this way. The easiest way to get them to conform is to open the hood take a video with sound and present it to them.

They will then say, "Oh you are right that is not normal" and perform the TSB fixing the problem.

I have the service slip in my files if you need it to give them an additional push.

Cheers,

EE
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 01-23-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:07 PM

Thanks evlenger, I hope I will not have to take you up on that offer. I just realized tonight that the X-3 has a service engine soon idiot light on, so I guess I need to get it to the dealer ASAP.

Thanks again,

BEn
Old 01-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Ben, by the way the -07 and later X3's do not have a dipstick! They depend on the oil sensor. Stupid? Yes it is! And while you have the car at the dealer, be sure to have the Service Advisor (SA) run your car's VIN on his/her computer to get a maintentance, repair, and service history. Since you are still under the original OEM warranty pretty much all the service/repair history will be listed because it was free. Good luck!

Last edited by UncleJ; 01-24-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) out with BMW on fixing this known problem. Since your dealer is trained to immediately deny it, say it isn't happening, or they all operate this way. The easiest way to get them to conform is to open the hood take a video with sound and present it to them.

They will then say, "Oh you are right that is not normal" and perform the TSB fixing the problem.

I have the service slip in my files if you need it to give them an additional push.

Cheers,

EE
I know this is an old post but you are right on this one. They gave me the deer in the headlights look like they had never heard this before and did not offer to look up the TSB. I suspect that if the vehicle had misbehaved in front of them they would not have been able to deny a problem. I have a video on my Blackberry now with the loud clatter but I can't be bothered with the lease ending.