Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Going back to the noise when the car is in neutral and idling. It seems some people experience this and others do not on the same car. I hear it noticably more when the A/C is engaged (and revs drop a tad) and less upon first starting the vehcile cold and when revs are higher. It seems revs related so I assume harmonics are created causing excessive vibrations.

Is this something that potentially has worked itself slightly lose on the clutch, flywheel side? Perhaps a good idea to take to the dealer to have them check?

I cannot recall if my car did this from day one but it certainly is noticable at idle and I'd rather have it looked at under warranty than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 05-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
In reply to my own question. Checked the ZF website and found this...

Q: The noise disappears when the engine RPM exceeds 1500 without depressing the clutch pedal. What does this condition suggest?
A: This condition is referred to as neutral rollover. This is caused by the engine firing pulses, which are transmitted through the gear set. Some neutral rollover is normal. The dual mass flywheel should eliminate this concern.

Looked some more for this condition and found this info at: http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12ho...Diag-noise.pdf

Neutral Rollover Rattle has the same characteristics as gear rattle except that rollover occurs with the engine
idling, transmission in NEUTRAL, and the clutch engaged (clutch pedal released). The rollover noise intensity
increases with transmission operating temperature and engine torque load resulting from air conditioning and
generator.
Neutral rollover noise is not detrimental to the engine or transmission. In vehicles where the engine
idle speed is below specification or rough, a harsh clattering noise like loose marbles in the transmission may
be heard.

Rollover Noise caused by engine torsional vibrations and Clutch Release Bearing Noise are sometimes
mistaken for Transmission Bearing Noise. Neutral rollover noise will disappear when the transmission is
engaged in gear. Due to a constant running clutch release bearing (used for the hydraulic clutch release
mechanism), noise caused by a worn or damaged clutch release bearing will be noticeable with the clutch
engaged or disengaged (clutch pedal released or depressed). Transmission service will not eliminate gear
rollover noise or clutch release bearing noise.

[...]

Gear rollover noise, inherent in manual transmissions, is caused by the constant mesh gears turning at engine
idle speed, while the clutch is engaged and the transmission is in NEUTRAL; and release bearing rub are
sometimes mistaken for mainshaft bearing noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 10-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to razzy530
Mein Auto: 2007 530i 6 Speed
the above post is really good info. Thanks!

2007 E60 530i - Current
2002 E39 530i - RIP

BMWCCA MEMBER #397411
Old 10-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 BMW 328i
So - mine has both AT as well as MT & what I know is that if I turn the clith towards I guess left side - then how to change gears manually? How does it work?thanks
Old 02-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
In reply to my own question. Checked the ZF website and found this...

Q: The noise disappears when the engine RPM exceeds 1500 without depressing the clutch pedal. What does this condition suggest?
A: This condition is referred to as neutral rollover. This is caused by the engine firing pulses, which are transmitted through the gear set. Some neutral rollover is normal. The dual mass flywheel should eliminate this concern.

Looked some more for this condition and found this info at: http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12ho...Diag-noise.pdf

Neutral Rollover Rattle has the same characteristics as gear rattle except that rollover occurs with the engine
idling, transmission in NEUTRAL, and the clutch engaged (clutch pedal released). The rollover noise intensity
increases with transmission operating temperature and engine torque load resulting from air conditioning and
generator.
Neutral rollover noise is not detrimental to the engine or transmission. In vehicles where the engine
idle speed is below specification or rough, a harsh clattering noise like loose marbles in the transmission may
be heard.

Rollover Noise caused by engine torsional vibrations and Clutch Release Bearing Noise are sometimes
mistaken for Transmission Bearing Noise. Neutral rollover noise will disappear when the transmission is
engaged in gear. Due to a constant running clutch release bearing (used for the hydraulic clutch release
mechanism), noise caused by a worn or damaged clutch release bearing will be noticeable with the clutch
engaged or disengaged (clutch pedal released or depressed). Transmission service will not eliminate gear
rollover noise or clutch release bearing noise.

[...]

Gear rollover noise, inherent in manual transmissions, is caused by the constant mesh gears turning at engine
idle speed, while the clutch is engaged and the transmission is in NEUTRAL; and release bearing rub are
sometimes mistaken for mainshaft bearing noise.
Great post! I've recently begun noticing this noise... Glad to hear that it is "normal"... Not that I like that response, but at least I can stop ruminating about it... I wonder if upping the idle RPM a little would help... Will check on that next time I go to the dealer!