Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-24-2010, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 x5 4.4i
Xenon Lights - moving up and down randomly

I have a 2006 X5 4.4

On the highway people are flashing me with bright light becasue my headlights lights keep moving up and down.

Has anyone experienced this and what am I to do?

Rod
Ads by Google
Old 01-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnery View Post
I have a 2006 X5 4.4

On the highway people are flashing me with bright light becasue my headlights lights keep moving up and down.

Has anyone experienced this and what am I to do?

Rod
The "self leveling" zenons in E53s tend to be very sensitive to minor changes in the slope of roads. This is most obvious on 2 lane country roads in hilly terrain. I simply adjusted the zenons down a little bit so that they would not annoy oncoming traffic. Its quite easy. The lights can be safely adjusted with easily reached plastic knobs.

Funf Dreisig
Old 01-24-2010, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 x5 4.4i
Great! thanks for the tip. I hope it works. Im just worried the 'self-leveling' is not faulty as it seemds to move up and down even though the road is pretty stable. They just might be way too sensitive....
Old 01-25-2010, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8is
Hang on, let's not jump to a technical solution when the obvious could be the root cause. If your headlight's mounting points are cracked or damage, your headlights would jiggle or be in the wrong position. This is aggravated by HID lights which are brighter. Suggest checking to see if your headlights are loose or have moved out of position. This may explain your constant moving Xenons as they try to self-level.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i
I'm having the same trouble with the headlights on my 2005 X5 3.0i. Even on very smooth roads they will randomly adjust up, then straight, then down, and sometimes back up. It seems totally random. Interestingly, this almost never happens in the early morning during my drive to work, but always when I'm driving home in the evening; not sure if that makes a difference or not. I've checked the mounting points for the headlights but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Is there a headlight level sensor? Where is it and how can I see if it needs replacing? Thanks for any help you can give!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
There are level sensors connected to front/rear right suspension according to the dealer retro fit instructions. I guess the factory system should be the same.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:45 PM

Okay, thanks Zulu95. I found the sensors. The sensor arm on the front passenger side is pointed straight down though - it looks like it should be at an angle? Any idea how it can be adjusted?
Old 12-30-2010, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
Bluegrowler, you have an IM.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu95 View Post
Bluegrowler, you have an IM.
Got it - thank you so much, that's just what I needed!