Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 12-13-2014, 08:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E34 540i/6
Mykk's 540i/6 Progress Thread

Hey guys,

I know I have pics of my project scattered around various threads, but I figured it's time to consolidate into one thread now that I've got the car running and driving and as a few more mods/changes are under way.

I picked up this Sept of '95 540i/6, found on craigslist Phoenix Az. Just sold my highly modified/Hot Rod/race Chevy Silverado and I was looking to pickup a little commuter/daily driver and something I can lightly mod without going overboard. The V8 & 6 speed grabbed my attention. Once I saw the car and saw that the paint and body were fairly clean and interior really nice I picked it up, non-running. My first experience with BMW's.

Also got a set of 18" M-parallel rims with the car:

Towed the car back up to my town in Az roughly 90 miles north of Phoenix (Thank you AAA) and started diagnostics. The previous owner said that the car ran until the water pump bearings seized, shattered the WP housing and the fan blade disintegrated. A new water pump was put on, and then the car wouldn't start. The battery was disconnected and changed at the same time so the PO suspected the anti-theft acting up since.

I researched on the forum and found the EWSII bypass procedure, so I replaced the 484 DME with a 404 and cut and spliced the wires on the EWS module, as well as cut the lead at pin #66 on the DME.

The car had crank, no fire. It sounded like it wanted to catch, but just couldn't quite do it. I investigated the fuel pump:

That's not going to work well, if at all. Installed a new 340lph fuel pump with wiring harness.

Now the car had crank, spit and sputter, backfire and white smoke out of the tailpipe on cranking. Making progress. To me this was a sign of stuck open fuel injector(s), pulled the fuel rail and injectors and found them covered in burn oil and carbon.

Again, hopped online. Found that OE injectors were 19lb/hr and that it would be beneficial to upgrade to a modern design multi-hole pintle. Ordered a set of flow matched Bosch II four hole injectors.

The intake manifold injector holes were equally as disgusting and I couldn't bring myself to install new injectors in a dirty manifold. Pulled the intake and started cleaning, ordered new gaskets.

late '95 intake with curved bellmouth runners:

Cleaned up, painted, new CCV. M62B44 cable throttlebody, same size as the M60B40 but doesn't have the limiter plates bolted to the blade. Blocked off IAC, my preference and simplifies air intake tubing.

Also mounted and wired up a pair of universal electric fans with a 180F thermo temp switch probe.

I was taking a gamble on the original radiator that had a bent core from the cooling fan explosion. I couldn't physically see any rips in the core, so it was worth a shot.
a

Top end back together, piecing together spectre intake piping:

Now there was crank, spit, sputter, backfire, no smoke out of tailpipe. No fire.

After some more research online I found that the harmonic dampener/crank tone ring needed to get pulled to install the water pump. I pulled the dampener and found that it was mounted 90 off and there was evidence it was mounted 180 off at one point in time too. The dampener face was bent from being torqued down clocked wrong. Picked up another M60B40 dampener, albeit a but rusty and dirty.

Cranked and fired up! I was so thankful to finally hear the engine run. But man did it have the ugliest exhaust leaks and valve train noise.

Just about every bolt on the manifold collectors was either missing or broke. Dug through my misc hardware junk draw in my toolbox and found some hardware that worked.

I read online how the M60B40 oil pump bolts will back themselves out and lay in the bottom of the pan, when this happens it looses oil pressure at idle and the valvetrain gets noisy. Dropped the pan, found one nut laying in the bottom of the pan. Pulled every oil pump bolt I could reach, loctited them all and torqued them back to spec.

Put it back together, filled the oil and the cooling system. Fired it up and brought it up to temp. Then white smoke started pouring out of the tailpipes, filled my neighborhood with smoke. Head gaskets.

I really didn't want to pull the heads and do machine work. So I opt'd for a mechanic in a bottle. Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealant. Gave it a shot, and it seemed to of stopped the smoke by about 90%.

The radiator didn't hold, had pin holes and was smoking. Installed a new radiator and a new bottle of Blue Devil.

Now the white smoke has subsided completely and I've now got a noticeable blue smoke. Burning oil.

Also located and ordered an early B40 intake manifold with the velocity stacks on the runners. Painted and installed the velocity stack intake manifold. While I had the intake off I noticed the new CCV was allowing raw oil into the intake manifold and thus sucked up into the cylinders and getting burned. I installed an external oil catch can to try and prevent that oil from getting burned by the engine.

Now I've got the smoke out of the exhaust cured about 98%, somehow oil is still getting burned. I suspect valve stem seals. II am trying another mechanic in a bottle in the crankcase to see if perhaps I can soften up those seals.

With the duplicolor engine rebuild almost wrapped up, I did a duplicolor brake job. The pads and rotors actually looked great, I was shocked.

I've also got an ugly power steering leak at the short pieces of rubber hose going to the power steering cooler. I will address that soon enough, but for right now it feels great to finally drive and cruise this little car.

I tried an Ebay performance chip (ACS clone) and the car would crank but wouldn't fire up with it, replace the stock chip and runs fine. I am now awaiting a Dinan clone chip.

The 6 speed wooden shifter handle pulled off on me, so I tried something a little different.

Believe it or not, that is the most comfortable and natural feeling shifter handle I've ever tried. But from what I gather this kind of handle is not for everyone.

I am starting to focus on a few external mods. I pulled my kidneys and replaced the front headlight glass, I didn't realize it but I ordered clear glass. I think it looks cool. Right now those are LED headlight bulbs, the lows aren't bright enough at night so I've got 6k HID's on the way.

Since these pics I've pulled the ///M badges off the trunk and front plate. I've still got the M5 door sills, I kind of dig them.

Future plans include making all new exhaust from the collectors back, I've got a wild hair to make a set of sidepipes running down the sills.

A friend said he's got a set of black/chrome lip BBS 18"F/19"R wheels and tires that were on an E92, after some research I've found that the E34 would need a 20mm+ wheel spacer to run them, and that invites a few unwanted vibrations at speed. But I might still toy with the idea. Otherwise my plan was to re-chrome those 18" M-pars and mount the correct size tires on them for the car.

I've got a set of sport side mirrors to install.

I was thinking of converting the high beams over to lows and running four low beam lights.

I plan to install a flip out DVD in the dash sometime in the near future.

...and just like every other car I get into, the mods/changes will never stop. Cheers ~Mykk
Old 12-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Resident e34 Racer

Mein Auto: 1995 540i SPORT /6 spd
Love it thank you for making a build thread! Subscribed.

FYI all US 6 speeds were 1995 model and got 484 DME's you need any m60 dme with a 404 on it as it is not ewsII and will work with the chips.
A 484 otherwise would need to be coded. Also, do not waist time on any chip other than a DUDMD. @ 130$~ it is a steal and the best on the market.
He can code in week or so or mail you a 404 chip right away and you can get 404 dme on ebay for 50$ almost overnight.

I had the legit Dinan and it SUUUCK's! So a "clone" of one sound horrid lol...
Bone stock 95' 540i/6 Blk/blk w/ ram style C.A.I / JBR LWFW/ DUDMD tune/ straight pipe /545 SSK /3.15 LSD / Rev-shift motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs/Eibach sway bars/ VAC under drive pulleys/weight reduction /sparco 368, Recaro seats, sparco harnesses, NX wet kit, M/T E/T streets.

"Skill can only get you so far, then comes money!"
R . I . P Paul Walker - 1973 - 2013

Last edited by imae34driver; 12-13-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imae34driver View Post
... all US 6 speeds were 1995 model and got 484 DME's you need any m60 dme with a 404 on it as it is not ewsII and will work with the chips...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykk View Post
I researched on the forum and found the EWSII bypass procedure, so I replaced the 484 DME with a 404 and cut and spliced the wires on the EWS module, as well as cut the lead at pin #66 on the DME.
The copy chip was for 404 DME, it's currently running a 404. I was actually looking in the long term at a war chip. But, if I could find a good tuner/chip and set it and forget it I'd be happy.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Resident e34 Racer

You only cut one wire. I put mind on a disconnect switch so i can swap DME's at will and disable the car if i want.
Bone stock 95' 540i/6 Blk/blk w/ ram style C.A.I / JBR LWFW/ DUDMD tune/ straight pipe /545 SSK /3.15 LSD / Rev-shift motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs/Eibach sway bars/ VAC under drive pulleys/weight reduction /sparco 368, Recaro seats, sparco harnesses, NX wet kit, M/T E/T streets.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:15 PM

Question for those with more m60b40 experience than I. When I had my intake off I noticed all four knock sensors had cracked housings, today I took a dvom to each knock sensor and they all read open loop. Is there a resistance spec for knock sensors? I spent about an hour in google, including bentley and couldn't find any spec. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Smuggled into the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1990 BMW E34 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykk View Post
Question for those with more m60b40 experience than I. When I had my intake off I noticed all four knock sensors had cracked housings, today I took a dvom to each knock sensor and they all read open loop. Is there a resistance spec for knock sensors? I spent about an hour in google, including bentley and couldn't find any spec. Thanks.
It's a matter of waiting for someone with access to AllData at this point.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Got Beemer?

Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 535I
I'll check my all data

Alpina

ANN- 1990 535I- hr springs/bav chipped/dinan tcm chip/m5 e39 rims/m5 sway bar/billet guibo and motor mounts/LSD rear end/M-Tech steering wheel/Blisten touring shocks/Racing dynamics tower brace.
"It's not a car unless its a BMW."
Old 12-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Got Beemer?

500 to 600k ohms at 75 degrees

Alpina

ANN- 1990 535I- hr springs/bav chipped/dinan tcm chip/m5 e39 rims/m5 sway bar/billet guibo and motor mounts/LSD rear end/M-Tech steering wheel/Blisten touring shocks/Racing dynamics tower brace.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina535I View Post
500 to 600k ohms at 75 degrees

Alpina
Thank you. Much appreciated.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Got Beemer?

Welcome Mykk.

Alpina

Old 12-14-2014, 10:08 AM

Still battling burning oil and blue smoke out of the tailpipe, a large amount of it. I'll pull the CCV off to see if somehow it's still leaking/sucking oil. The oil catch can hoses and can are still dry.

I suppose there is a slim chance that it's an nikasil block, but I couldn't image the M60B40 nikasil would last 233k miles in the U.S. with U.S fuel. Especially making +/- 150 cranking psi on each cylinder with a compression gauge.

The engine does not smoke at start up after sitting all night, like with valve stem seals. It can idle in the driveway for hours and rev out of gear without smoking. It seems to do it once warmed up, with high manifold vacuum. Most noticeable after cruising a steady rpm/mph and on deceleration, then it will smoke at idle after it's started burning (likely residual).

I just pulled the coils and found oil beginning to pool on the spark plugs. Looks like I'll get to paint those valve covers like I planned. I'm thinking a wrinkle finish black will do nicely on magnesium valve covers.

This couldn't be my burning oil problem, but something to fix none the less before it is an issue/misfire.

I think I will also repaint my late '95 intake manifold and re-install it too. The car felt like it had more power and off the line torque with the OE manifold and was a bit more fun and responsive to drive.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:19 AM
Resident e34 Racer

I get the feeling your sucking in oil of fluid of some sort via a vacuum line.

Or a tiny crack in the head to an oil jacket.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Got Beemer?

[ QUOTE=imae34driver;8768909]I get the feeling your sucking in oil of fluid of some sort via a vacuum line.

Or a tiny crack in the head to an oil jacket.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Do you notice mykk any part of the engine with more oil pooling up?

Alpina

Old 12-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Resident e34 Racer

I had a car come in once with vanishing brake fluid. Did not leak..

Primary cup seal of brake booster was torn so it slowly inhaled and burnt the brake fluid...
Do not think just becuase it does not go near oil that i cant be a source of burning fluid.

Do you not need to keep adding a particular fluid? Are you sure it is not contaminates still being burn off the far end of the exhuast. That takes time.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:39 PM

I don't have enough drive time or mileage on it to see what fluid is disappearing. Does brake fluid have the same bluish hue to the smoke as oil? The brake booster hose is dry.

I certainly hope it's not a cracked head. That would suck.

Original intake stripped and re-painted, velocity stacks intake is off. The CCV was not leaking any oil into the intake, the manifold was dry. Which leads me to think either rings or valve stem seals. (or cracked head).

I'm not really pleased with the way the wrinkle finish turned out on the VC's, it was my first attempt with wrinkle paint. I'm going to strip them and try again after reading up on various apply procedures.

Last edited by Mykk; 12-14-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:26 PM

I had an idea.....and it's trouble.... just like any idea I get.

For fun, and experimentation I've decided to dimple the throat "velocity stack" of my M62 throttlebody. I've only got basic tools so the process won't be clean looking, using a die grinder bit for the pilot mark and a drill bit for the dimple... lined up (I use the term loosely) by hand. Moving closer to the throttle blade each revolution.

Golf ball dimpling is nothing new to increase airflow on various things, I just don't think I've seen it applied to throttlebodies. I might just find out why, or I might be on to something...

Last edited by Mykk; 12-14-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Resident e34 Racer

On man golf strikes again lol.. Honestly i think you would feel the weight removed by it before any power it has power added lol.

I like pioneers tho.. Let us know.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:00 PM

What can I say, I like DIY gimmicks. I even indexed my throttle position sensor, and I felt a difference with that too.

I once did Singh Grooves and dimples on a set of small block chevy heads, and you know what. That motor was scary fast.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:16 PM
Smuggled into the 'Fest

People are going to roll their eyes, but mythbusters have dimpled an entire car and it got better mpg.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:36 PM
Got Beemer?

Have you test the results of dimple on you throttle body??

Old 12-14-2014, 11:40 PM
Smuggled into the 'Fest

Too bad he doesn't have a dyno...
Old 12-15-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina535I View Post
Have you test the results of dimple on you throttle body??
I just know the theory is sound and have seen, used and moded other parts with dimpling. Now if the physics applied to throttle bodies can be beneficial is yet undetermined. But, theoretically it should work well. The only variables I don't have the ability to test is if different size, pattern and spacing of dimples works better then any other.

I got the idea from a turbo build I did a few years ago, the turbo kit had a velocity stack on the inlet with dimpling around the rim. Now, this company found that dimpling at the transition from atmosphere to bellmouth provided gains. Throttle bodies have velocity stacks built in, albiet they are not open to atmosphere but a larger chamber of air (intake tube).

I won't know if this mod will have any seat-of-the-pants gains until the valve cover gaskets arrive and I get the top end back together. It's going to be tough to note any changes from the mod. If it idles smooth, accelerates quickly, has enough torque to push me into the seat and has good throttle response I'm happy. If the car doesn't do all of the aforementioned, back to the drawing board and back to wrenching.

Notice all the "If's" in my train of thought.

I do not plan to race this car, but I do like having a "race car" feel around town, especially torque. I do enjoy putting in the wrench time, especially when it's noticeable in the gas pedal. I've toned down my assuetude for speed (unless I'm confident I won't get caught) after an Exhibition of Speed (burn out) and Reckless Driving (drifting) tickets, with one point left on the license I suppose I am the things they make movies out of ;-)

Here's another idea for the intake manifold. Using a Land Rover 4.4L mid-manifold with the injector holes welded up as a spacer (2.5"-3"?) to lengthen the runners? Gears are turning, watch out now.

Last edited by Mykk; 12-15-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:26 AM

Again, it's not pretty. We'll see what it do. Good thing you won't be able to see it once on the engine.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Got Beemer?

Think it looks good. If it works it will bd a mod ill do on my m30..

Alpina

Old 12-15-2014, 04:06 PM

The 6k HID's arrived, as well as a vinyl of the mobil pegasus that I put on all of my guitars. Makes a neat front plate.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search