Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 530i Touring
no power at fuse 23 fuelpump

I had to play with it the fuel pump that is. because I read on one of these forums that sometime the contacts get varnished and the fuel milage suffers. So since my 1995 530i Touring sucks gas like there is no tomorrow i figured i give that a try as a cheap fix. (fuel filter, spark plugs were already changed a few month ago)
So today i pulled the fuel pump just to see what it looks like in there. All looked fine. Put it back together and went to start the car. But sadly it does not start, doesnt madder how long you turned it over. So i started checking with the fuse in spot 23 for the fuel pump and there is no power what so ever to that fuse, key in the ON position.
Any tips why this is and what I should check next?
Advertisement
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM

ok so i have power to that fuse when i crank the engine but not in the key ON position
is that normal?
And i dont seem to have any power at the connector to the fuel pump.
Is there a fuel safety shut off in these cars? and if yes where would the reset be?

And which of these Relays would be the one for the fuel pump?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161207_160933.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	583847  
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i
If I understand correctly, it was working fine before you disconnected it to clean the connection. Yes, I believe that it is working correctly as to the power being on to it when cranking and off when in the run position with the motor not running. Are you saying you now have no power at the fuel pump when cranking? If so, you have interfered with the connection when you messed with it. The most common problem created by messing with 20+ year old wiring is disconnecting the ground when moving wires around, JAT.
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: E34 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinada View Post
ok so i have power to that fuse when i crank the engine but not in the key ON position
is that normal?
Yes, the DME only grounds the fuel pump relay while the crank sensor is receiving a signal. i.e. as the crank is rotating.

I believe the Fuse is downstream of the relay, the other terminal of the fuse should run to the fuel pump. Test for connectivity with a DVOM between the fuel pump harness and fuse.

The fuel pump relay is in the DME box. The fact you get power at Fuse #23 while cranking tells me the relay is working as designed.

The inertia switch is under the backseat on the drivers side, well hidden under the sheet metal that the back seat cushion clips too in front of the fuse block.

I agree with 507 that the problem is around the fuel pump harness where you had unplugged and plugged back in.

In case you are interested in further dissecting you electrical system: http://www.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e34/e34_95.pdf

Last edited by Mykk; Yesterday at 07:11 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

So i checked again this time while cranking and yes I do have power at the fuelpump connector. So i guess that means my fuel pump is death.?
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM

Quote:
So i checked again this time while cranking and yes I do have power at the fuelpump connector. So i guess that means my fuel pump is death.?
Could be, but you said it was working before you messed with it? If you just looked at it and did an R/R on it I don't understand why it would stop working? What I would do is remove it again and test it out of the car, if it fails, replace it and move on. Good luck with your car
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

Just to double check before order a 400.- canadian pump.
Could there be a simple problem i'm missing?? Airlock in fuel line so fuel does not get to the engine? Or not enough fuel in the tank? the fuel light was on when i pulled the pump but i added 20 liters and the gauge is showing about 1/4 tank.

I see RockAuto has pumps for US 60.- are they worth buying or what should i look for when buying a new pump. Local NAPA dealer quoted me 450.- but would sell it to me for 400.- just the pump. Seems very expensive to me. (I am in Canada)
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Just to double check before order a 400.- canadian pump.
Could there be a simple problem i'm missing?? Airlock in fuel line so fuel does not get to the engine? Or not enough fuel in the tank? the fuel light was on when i pulled the pump but i added 20 liters and the gauge is showing about 1/4 tank.

I see RockAuto has pumps for US 60.- are they worth buying or what should i look for when buying a new pump. Local NAPA dealer quoted me 450.- but would sell it to me for 400.- just the pump. Seems very expensive to me. (I am in Canada)
Yes, That is why I said to test the pump before spending $$$ on a new one. If it makes noise when you are trying to start the car it if still most likely working. When you removed it you drooped the standing fuel presser to "0" and you could have air in your lines instead of fuel. If the pump is still good, and why would it not be, bleed the system and test again. You can also spray starting fluid into the intake to get the fuel pressure back to normal, but it 'must"done past the MAF or you risk problems.
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM

So i jumpered the #4 and #5 with another battery and i sure can hear that pump coming on.

How do I bleed the system? (when i changed the fuel filter all I had to do do was crank for about 10 seconds and it started again.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuelpumpconnector.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	583867  
Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM

Quote:

So i jumpered the #4 and #5 with another battery and i sure can hear that pump coming on.

How do I bleed the system? (when i changed the fuel filter all I had to do do was crank for about 10 seconds and it started again.)
I would remove the fuel line from the injector feed bar on my car and crank the motor till fuel came out. If you are one of the lucky ones that have a bleed valve on said bar, even easer, just open the valve and crank the motor. As many here will attack me for my recommendation, PLEASE make sure you don't let fuel flow all over the place and be careful with gas.
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM

OK if i could kick my self in the ass I would repeatably.
I dont know how and when but the 2 hoses switched them selves around. I made sure as i took them off that i stuck the one from the left under the left side and the right one to the right out of the way, but i guess they had their own plan.
All is good again. After checking everything through and before trying to disconnect the fuel rail to see if i get fuel there I figured it could hurt to quickly move the hoses at the pump to see if by any chance i had them reversed even though I was sure i didn't. Well I did and after switching it started right up, i almost cried.
Thanks for your help guys, at least now I got to know some other parts of my car. One is that the fuel pump relays is in a hard accessible place, nothing like all the pictures i found online.
Thanks again the help was appreciated.!!!!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search