Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 08-28-2014, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 e34 525i
1989 e34 525i blower motor problem

Hello. My name is derek I'm new to this forum and I made a account because I have a issue that I'm stumped on. So I would appreciate any help. But anyways my blower motor went out last month just randomly. I got inside the car in the morning about to go to work and when I turned the key on the motor spun up faster than ever and smoke came out of the vents and I cut the car off and when I tried to restart the car the fan would not come on at all. So I also own a 1994 that I use for parts so thinking the blower went swapped it out and still nothing. And even tested both motors both spun up with direct 12v applied to them. There was also nothing burned on the motor. No fuses blew. And I took the sword resistor out and it looks good no burns look like nothing's damaged. And was dated 1997 so it has been replaced before. So I'm just looking for suggestions to what else controls the blower in the system. And what burned up!
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2014, 09:42 AM

Update

I found a blower motor relay inside the fuse box. I'm thinking if changing but there's different colored five prong relays that just say multi purpose relay. My particular one is yellow bmw relay and is dated 01/20/89. So will a different five prong relay work?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E34 540i
Generally relays with equal number of terminals are equivalent. However, that is not 100% the case. For the most part, I expect you would be fine, but any decent relay will have the schematic printed/molded onto/into the casing or bottom with the terminals being numbered.

Is that relay burnt? Enough to be the source of the smoke? To me, this sounds like it is not narrowed down enough. Did it suck in some leaves/debris, and get that caught around the brushes or bearings? The smoke needs explained before you just swap a relay. You also said it spun up faster than normal. I'm not sure how to take that. It was never spinning on true high before, or it was over current for this instance? Maybe the Final Stage Resistor.

Fan Limit Switch

A/C Resistor
Hellrot Red

Fuelly

My Basic Repair History (Edited 4/7/2014)

Ongoing comparison between two E34 540ia's

OBC4 Hidden Functions : Link 1, Link 2
Old 09-02-2014, 10:55 AM

Yes well when I swapped the motor it was filled with leaves. And I was only thinking a relay because the motor got stuck on and didn't physically shut off til I shut the car off. I read that the final stage resistor when it fails usually the motor will still run on high. I don't think if was over voltage because the motor never really blew as fast as I thought it should've. And when it got stuck on seemed more like a normal high not like crazy. Seemed more like a blockage finally cleared or something. But thanks for the reply! The relay out of my 94 is green 6 prong and doesn't work when I use it. So I'll figure something out soon. Buy one if I have too.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:47 AM

You need to be sure that you are putting a proper fitting relay into place. You may inadvertently sent power a wrong way! And what of the smoke?
Hellrot Red

Fuelly

Old 09-03-2014, 10:26 AM

I found a relay that matched underneath the back seat of my parts car. But after swaping out it is still dead. But my newest discovery is I found the blower control fuse was a 15 amp fuse and it calls for a 7.5. So now I'm assuming the wiring to the motor burned somewhere
Old 09-03-2014, 02:39 PM

I would be doing current and resistance checks on that power feed for the blower. What do you get with sparks/burning, potentially flammable materials, and lots of blowing air? Find that source of smoke, BEFORE you keep trying to feed it power. Did you really check our that control box, and did you thoroughly check out the FSR?
Hellrot Red

Fuelly

Old 09-11-2014, 06:16 PM

I took the fsu apart and looked alittle closer. So if I press the relay under the handle of the fsu manually the fan blower comes on full speed. Which should be 4 by looking at a wiring diagram. So what should I check next. And all soldered 4 resistors on the fsu all tested out ok. So I'm guessing some kind of controller .
Old Today, 05:59 AM

Went to the junkyard yesterday and swapped out the fsu it fixed the problem. As far as the smoke I think I determined it came from the old blower motor. All four speeds work now it's awesome haha
Old Today, 06:43 AM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
My blower blew smoke a few days ago or fog.
I turned it off since it was nice out.
Then i hit ran and cut the ac back on and smoke or thick fog came rolling out the vents since it had no smell.
I turned it back off and hoped i wouldnt burn.
But as i left the store i cut the ac on forgetting about the smoke and then remembered but no smoke and it worked fine.

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES

Audio