Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 01-19-2016, 03:57 AM
Pork Hunt

Mein Auto: BMW E34 530i
Air con retro fit?

Hi Y'all 94 530 with R134A...
I believe the air con drags about 6Kw?
It's definitely a noticable power drain anyway, and when you only have 160 odd to begin with it slows me down a bit.
Also it's getting a bit tired, 340k's and 22 years on the road will do that.
Q. Can I retrofit a compressor from a later model which has less drag?
For example No1 son has E46 an his air con is not like pulling a trailer of rocks up a steep hill with flat tyres?
Have searched online in vain, keep coming to R12 conversions.
According to oem it;s the behr unit.
My guy has told me any compressoer will work, it's just brackets and fittings
Any thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2016, 04:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Hunt View Post
Hi Y'all 94 530 with R134A...
I believe the air con drags about 6Kw?
It's definitely a noticable power drain anyway, and when you only have 160 odd to begin with it slows me down a bit.
Also it's getting a bit tired, 340k's and 22 years on the road will do that.
Q. Can I retrofit a compressor from a later model which has less drag?
For example No1 son has E46 an his air con is not like pulling a trailer of rocks up a steep hill with flat tyres?
Have searched online in vain, keep coming to R12 conversions.
According to oem it;s the behr unit.
My guy has told me any compressoer will work, it's just brackets and fittings
Any thoughts?
There should hardly be any difference to your car's on-road performance with the a/c on.

If there is, its not due to your high mileage or compressor, but the state of maintenance and repair of your engine overall. This is why your son's E46, which is a newer car and perhaps better maintained, doesn't have this issue.

All compressors will pull the same for you. About 2hp. You've got an 3 litre M60. 2 horses will make no difference. You've got more power than the E46. Your 'guy' is trying to make some money off you.

If the compressor is bad, it can drag the system but this is very very unlikely - a bad compressor will either not cool, or make alot of rattling noises due to bad shaft or bearings, or come on and off intermittently, etc, or simply not work. The rotational force imparted by the belts on the engine are strong enough to snap a seized compressor shaft, or for the belt itself to snap. You get the picture.

Changing to R134 makes no difference to all of this. Where did your man get that idea, porky ?

Do a thorough tuneup on your engine :

a. Diesel engine flush
b. 20w50 fully synthetic oil for your mileage (lower miles = 5w40).
c. Smoke test to ensure no vacuum leaks on both the valve cover and the intake side of the engine.
d. Plugs removed and cleaned with a wire brush.
e. Fuel injectors checked for leakage and fixed if leaking.
f. All belts tension checked. All belts checked for in-line running while the engine is running.
g. Drive with the maf plugged in and unplugged. If its better unplugged, then replace it with a good used oem unit $65 shipped stateside off ebay.
h. New ects. If it was recently replaced, then do the unplug drive test and proceed accordingly.
i. Properly and perfectly cleaned ICV. Check this http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=889970
j. Charging system checked. Must produce 13.8-14.2 volts at idle with no load and with full load. Dip when activating full load (lights, high beams, fog lamps radio, cabin blower on high) should be within 0.3v before recovering to the stated range.
k. Regulator tested to ensure its not leaking gasoline.
l. No drivability error codes including O2 sensor.
m. Look at the compressor's pulley with the engine running, with the a/c off, and then on. Look at it for 2 minutes in each state to spot any abnormalities. Try to be looking at this when the a/c is switched on and off - so you'll need someone to help you.
n. Temperature steady at optemp, which is 12 oclock or one needle's width either side of 12 oclock.

Porky, you might want to start with m and f. Then do all the rest.

Last edited by capricornbmw; 01-19-2016 at 04:39 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search