Oil change length curiosity - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 06-17-2017, 03:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1990 E34 535i Automatic
Oil change length curiosity

Hey fellows!

It's been a while since I've posted anything, the car is running good and I have been driving it quite a bit as I drive about 200miles twice a week to go to school and the a few more miles during the other days.

I usually change my oil every 7k miles, and I use mobile 1 synthetic.

Is it safe to wait longer than 7k miles or no? 85% of my driving is on the highway as well, if that's an important piece of info.

What do you guys think?

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2017, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 99M32
Oil change length curiosity

Longer trips are generally better for lubricants, allows time for condensation to 'gas-off'.
The real answer is from a Blackstone test. They can tell you the health of the engine as well as how you oil is holding up.
I have 267K on my S52, and other than track days preparation changes I have followed the service lights. I do have to add a quart every 1k miles, which helps with the long change interval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2017, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 540i/6
5000 miles between changes using Castrol synth 5w40, for my 540i/6. I follow the same regimen in my Jaguar XJ8 and MB SLK230... No significant oil use in any of them. Maybe I add a quart at the 2500-3000 mile mark. The 540i has 211,000 on the original Nikasil block, btw
Old 06-18-2017, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 E34 535i Automatic
Thanks fellows.
I will look into the blackstone test later just to get a report on my
Engine, granted I believe it is in good shape.

I do add oil here and there bc I think my oil pan needs a new gasket and I have drips, so every month I might add half a quart. I actually don't measure how much I put in, I just check the stick and make sure it is level, but I will pay attention to how much I add from now on and how often!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-18-2017, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Now they have the annual oil change oil I see on TV. Well this is just IMO, and for some IMO always seems to bring out the experts that say MO is always wrong LOL.

1st, there are a lot of factors that determine how often your oil needs changed IMO. Climate is one, if you live were it is very hot and humid, like me here in SW Florida, you may want to consider how long in time as well as miles as more condensation contaminates oil as well IMO.
Next, how do you drive? If you race your car or drive it very hard, more frequent changes will be a good Idea IMO. If your car is only driven on short trips to the store and such, I would use the time thing instead of miles due to water condensation, 6 months or less, regardless of miles IMO.

If you have a high millage motor, there are great high millage oils that have increased friction modifiers like zinc and others that should add to your motors life expectancy. I would also advise removing the oil pan, cleaning all the crap out of it and clean the screen, then check and locktight the oil pump bolts if needed IMO. I would also add "Restore" oil conditioner at ever change, especially on Nikasil motors IMO, IMO, IMO, it works, IMO.

Another great thing for older motors is Lucas injector cleaner IMO, I add it every fill up of gas. not just to keep my injectors clean, but it lubricates the top end of the combustion chamber, valve guilds, seats and seals, piston rings and upper cylinder walls, another + for Nikasil motors. In addition, it raises the octane rating to allow regular gas to be used without pre detonation, it more then pays for it's self in fuel cost and increased millage IMO.

Next, use a good quality oil filter and stick with the same good quality oil every oil change. A good test is to check your oil often and use a clean white paper towel so you can tell if it looks overly dirty, if so change it even if it is a little earlier then normal IMO.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search