Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 07-31-2015, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: 89 BMW E34 535i
HELP*** E34 535i/A

*****ITS FIXED*****

89 E34 535i Auto 207k

Okay so the other day I was driving around town and hit a speed bump a little too fast I would say and jarred my car pretty good. O did not think anything of it until my car started to stall. Did it for a second and I just kept going thinking nothing was wrong. Well now it has gotten worse. After just two days. Second day was not too bad. It does not do it at start up. Runs perfect and even when I hit the brake.

Querks of car when it starts to stall
(When warmed up)

-When I brake it stalls
-When I feather the gas repeatidly it has power like normal
-When driving normal (not under braking) it wants to stall and runs like total crap but still runs but leans out. Spitting and sputtering

I have not put it in nuetral and just stomped on the brake to see what it does however. Doing that tommorrow to see what it does. Will update when I do so.

*Parts that have been replaced*
Fuel pump
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
Wires
Distributor
Rotor button and cap
All new hoses
All new coolant hoses
Vacuum lines replaced (including brake booster valve)
Fuel pressure regulator
Fuel lines
Rebuilt (30k miles ago) including all new tentioners and timing chain
MAF sensor
ICV Valve
Blower motor
All fluids changed on a regular basis
(Engine, tranny, brakes, powersteering, coolant)

Still going to replace more, all have been done within a 2 year span. Basically on a preventative maintenance and still going.

What has not been replaced
Carbon canister and vacuum line
TPS sensor
Radiator
Transmission/Tranny Rebuild and lines (4HP22) Eventually 5speed
Relays
Dash cluster
Sending unit for fuel pump
Grounds for motor and tranny
Etc... (Whatever is left to replace)

I am a huge bmw nut and this basically stumps the hell outta me. I figured I could give some input to show what I have replaced and instead of a bunch of questions about what has been done.

I really need help and this is driving me mad and I love my car a lot and do not want her to just die cause of a stupid speed bump that I went over at 10-15mph that looked insignificant and not as tall as I thought it was. I thought it was a gradual speed bump and clearly it wasn't...

Last edited by BMWGUY1992; 08-01-2015 at 04:43 PM. Reason: its fixed
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2015, 04:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2 x 1988 bmw 525i's
You have replaced alot, that's good.
Since you hit the speed bump hard you may want to check that all the fuses, relays & modules are properly secured in the E Box, fuse box & under the rear seat.
Also you never mentioned changing the coolant temp sensor or 02 sensor. I'll also mention the crankshaft position sensor though alot of members have replaced it mine to my knowledge is 27yrs old.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:23 PM
This Guy

Mein Auto: 1994 530i
Sounds exactly like a vacuum hose has come loose somewhere. Check them all twice.
'88 Honda Civic LX
'60 Jeep Willys CJ3B