Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 05-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Chelle- View Post
2 things I do to make flying more tolerable;

1) Ativan is my friend
2) Fly first class. If I'm going to die, I'm going in style, dammit
Medication makes me nervous too. I hate taking pills. Would it be wrong if I flew first class and bought coach tickets for everyone else? Thanks for sharing your feelings on this with me, I appreciate your honesty, most people here just like to pretend that nothing scares them (either that or they simply do not have the same passion for life that I do).
Old 05-17-2010, 10:26 AM
O.G.

Mein Auto: 2011 MDX, 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato View Post
Medication makes me nervous too. I hate taking pills. Would it be wrong if I flew first class and bought coach tickets for everyone else? Thanks for sharing your feelings on this with me, I appreciate your honesty, most people here just like to pretend that nothing scares them (either that or they simply do not have the same passion for life that I do).
Passion for life? I enjoy every day like it might be my last.

Conquer your fears and you will enjoy life much more.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Ice Princess

Mein Auto: 325xi
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your feelings on this with me, I appreciate your honesty, most people here just like to pretend that nothing scares them (either that or they simply do not have the same passion for life that I do).
It's easy for people to dismiss the fears of others when they have no first-hand experience. Anxiety and phobias are very real, and anyone who's actually had an anxiety attack at 35,000 feet would not make light of it. I used to love flying, but all it took was one really bad flight to Cancun through a thunderstorm with turbulence so bad that drinks were flying, people were puking, and praying, anyone not belted in was flung out of their seats to render me fearful. Until that happens to you, you can't imagine the psychological trauma.

I wish I could just hop on a plane and go without a second thought, but here I am trying to plan a vacation, and I'm stressing about the aircraft, the duration of the flight, the seating... nobody wants to be this way.

If you're interested (and at the risk of a shameless plug), I run a fear of flying support site with lots of good information. A friend of mine is a Captain with Southwest Airlines (Captain Ray), and helps answer a lot of questions. I've found the more you understand about the mechanics of the aircraft the more comfortable it makes you... because as you know, all the 'safety statistics' go out the window the minute anxiety kicks in.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
It's easy for people to dismiss the fears of others when they have no first-hand experience. Anxiety and phobias are very real, and anyone who's actually had an anxiety attack at 35,000 feet would not make light of it. I used to love flying, but all it took was one really bad flight to Cancun through a thunderstorm with turbulence so bad that drinks were flying, people were puking, and praying, anyone not belted in was flung out of their seats to render me fearful. Until that happens to you, you can't imagine the psychological trauma.

I wish I could just hop on a plane and go without a second thought, but here I am trying to plan a vacation, and I'm stressing about the aircraft, the duration of the flight, the seating... nobody wants to be this way.

If you're interested (and at the risk of a shameless plug), I run a fear of flying support site with lots of good information. A friend of mine is a Captain with Southwest Airlines (Captain Ray), and helps answer a lot of questions. I've found the more you understand about the mechanics of the aircraft the more comfortable it makes you... because as you know, all the 'safety statistics' go out the window the minute anxiety kicks in.
Wow, thanks -Chelle-! I completely understand your anxiety and I'm so impressed that you're doing something about it, unlike me who all I do is constantly debate with people whether or not flying is safe. Every time a plane crashes I'm like, "see I'm not crazy these things do crash a lot" but no one sees it that way except for me.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderm0n View Post
Passion for life? I enjoy every day like it might be my last.

Conquer your fears and you will enjoy life much more.
Preservation doesn't have to mean abandonment of passion.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
Quote:
Anxiety and phobias are very real, and anyone who's actually had an anxiety attack at 35,000 feet would not make light of it.
Can you say Xanax?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Ice Princess

Quote:
who all I do is constantly debate with people whether or not flying is safe.
Well, the truth is flying is safe. Accidents of any kind can and do happen every day, but you are statistically far safer in an airplane than you are on a highway. But I understand those are rational thoughts, and anxiety is never rational. Just arm yourself with as much knowledge as you possibly can, and learn some coping techniques (if you're opposed to taking drugs, which many therapists will tell you is a band-aid cure). It's tough, but it can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
Can you say Xanax?
As I mentioned, I do take Ativan to fly (a form of Xanax). It takes the edge off, and allows me to sleep. There's something to be said for falling asleep in one airport and waking up in another, lol. I'd like to one day be able fly without having to be sedated.. but I'm not there yet.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Porsche
Quote:
Well, the truth is flying is safe. Accidents of any kind can and do happen every day, but you are statistically far safer in an airplane than you are on a highway. But I understand those are rational thoughts, and anxiety is never rational. Just arm yourself with as much knowledge as you possibly can, and learn some coping techniques (if you're opposed to taking drugs, which many therapists will tell you is a band-aid cure). It's tough, but it can be done.

As I mentioned, I do take Ativan to fly (a form of Xanax). It takes the edge off, and allows me to sleep. There's something to be said for falling asleep in one airport and waking up in another, lol. I'd like to one day be able fly without having to be sedated.. but I'm not there yet.
I always take Ativan when I fly but it only "spaces" me out while I'm on the plane (I'm too nervous to fall asleep). Problem with Ativan is that after I land, the remainder of my day is a blur..

Also, remember that the most dangerous times during a flight are at the very beginning and the end. Very very unusual for there to be a problem while you are at cruising altitude. So, if you are going to be nervous, save it for those times!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Ice Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
I always take Ativan when I fly but it only "spaces" me out while I'm on the plane (I'm too nervous to fall asleep). Problem with Ativan is that after I land, the remainder of my day is a blur..
I find the difference between 0.5mg and 1.0mg of Ativan is the ability to sleep. I'm still cognizant, can get up, use the washroom, walk off the plane.. but if I'm just sitting in my seat I can zonk right out. I'm the same though, the whole rest of the day is a blur. When planning vacations, I try to pick flight times that arrive late in the day or even early evening for that reason.. just get there and sleep it off, start your vacation the next day.

Quote:
Also, remember that the most dangerous times during a flight are at the very beginning and the end. Very very unusual for there to be a problem while you are at cruising altitude. So, if you are going to be nervous, save it for those times!
Speaking of fears being irrational, I know this, but it's only ever at cruise that I start to hyperventilate, lol. Logically, I know planes don't just fall out of the sky, but take-offs don't bother me much, and I love landings because I know I'm going to be on the ground in a matter of minutes, lol. I think it's because my phobia stems from trauma at cruise, not on take-off or landing. Weird stuff.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Praetorian

Quote:

The thing for me is that driving I always feel like there's a chance. If I pay attention, don't speed, don't drive drunk or recklessly, I think I always have a chance to control my fate. Sure there are the times when you don't see it coming and even the best drivers in the world couldn't change anything but in those instances it would happen fast and come out of nowhere. You would either be killed instantly or if not at least you would always have the hope that help was on the way. Flying is a different story, many accidents that resulted in fatalities had quite a few minutes while the occupants knew they were going to die, either plummeting to the ground or getting sucked out of the plane, etc. you get the point. That aspect of it, not being able to do a damn thing about it and possibly going through that with loved ones by my side is what makes it terrifying. I can rationalize this whole thing with statistics but somehow I always worry about that worst case scenario happening to me. After all it has to happen to someone.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Ice Princess

Quote:
The thing for me is that driving I always feel like there's a chance. If I pay attention, don't speed, don't drive drunk or recklessly, I think I always have a chance to control my fate. Sure there are the times when you don't see it coming and even the best drivers in the world couldn't change anything but in those instances it would happen fast and come out of nowhere. You would either be killed instantly or if not at least you would always have the hope that help was on the way. Flying is a different story, many accidents that resulted in fatalities had quite a few minutes while the occupants knew they were going to die, either plummeting to the ground or getting sucked out of the plane, etc. you get the point. That aspect of it, not being able to do a damn thing about it and possibly going through that with loved ones by my side is what makes it terrifying. I can rationalize this whole thing with statistics but somehow I always worry about that worst case scenario happening to me. After all it has to happen to someone.
I know, I've had all the same thoughts. Statistically though, they say you would have to fly every day for 1,700 years in order to be involved in a fatal plane crash. You have a better chance of winning a lottery...
Old 05-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Can't control my fingers

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Man in car

The plane came out of nowhere! jumped a red light and crashed right into the side of me... luckily enough the pilot was man enough to trade insurance details with me. But still... im sure he had been drinking! he explained that he already had points on his licence an tried to settle it out of court. Tried to take me for a fool.... in future he should watch where he's going, he's a danger on the road."
Old 05-17-2010, 05:16 PM
*rh Cdrh*

Mein Auto: 08 M5 e36 M3 gt40 877hp
Moderato sucks by the way!

****************** __________________------====http://bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)====--------__________________
Old 05-22-2010, 01:15 AM
Praetorian

And again, and again, and again........

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100522/...ia_plane_crash
Old 05-22-2010, 01:17 AM
Praetorian

Don't worry, it won't happen to you!
Old 05-22-2010, 06:02 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
I don't worry about it. Life's too short on its own to worry about low probability deaths.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 05-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Ice Princess

Quote:
And again, and again, and again........

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100522/...ia_plane_crash
Location, location, location...
Old 05-22-2010, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Don't worry, it won't happen to you!
bottoms up.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:12 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
I don't worry about it. Life's too short on its own to worry about low probability deaths.
No doubt all of these people felt exactly the same way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rcial_aircraft
Old 05-22-2010, 08:21 AM
O.G.

Mein Auto: 2011 MDX, 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by moderato View Post
no doubt all of these people felt exactly the same way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/list_of...rcial_aircraft
wgas
Old 05-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderm0n View Post
wgas
One of these things could crash in your back yard and take out your swing set and it wouldn't bother you.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
People are dying all around you by the minute. Better commit suicide quick before it happens to you!

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present

Old 05-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamM3 View Post
People are dying all around you by the minute. Better commit suicide quick before it happens to you!
Perhaps they should print that on every plane ticket and then I would have nothing to complain about?

AA
"If you die on this flight do not be concerned. People die everyday and you can never predict when it happens to you. Dems da breaks."

This is the world we live in. Bank teller doesn't make sales goals, bank teller gets fired. Plane crashes and hundreds die, CEO makes final payment on vacation home.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
We were born to die. Blame God ....

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present

Old 05-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamM3 View Post
We were born to die. Blame God ....
Depressing but true. Life doesn't make sense when you think about it does it?