Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Should warranty replace worn door seal

I guess from someone's butt rubbing the rubber door seal during entry and exit this seal has worn through and is torn. BMW fixed one on my older 528 but won't on our X3 claiming iit is considered a wear factor from external factors, not a defect. Well since this happens pretty frequently perhaps they should redesign it in this area.

Do you agree and what is your experience with this? Warranty is about to expire and the cost to replace to me is $240.
Ads by Google
Old 01-26-2010, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
I guess from someone's butt rubbing the rubber door seal during entry and exit this seal has worn through and is torn. BMW fixed one on my older 528 but won't on our X3 claiming iit is considered a wear factor from external factors, not a defect. Well since this happens pretty frequently perhaps they should redesign it in this area.

Do you agree and what is your experience with this? Warranty is about to expire and the cost to replace to me is $240.
Honestly - I view it as a wear & tear item.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
I understand that but

it was replaced as I said several years back on another BMW. Times have changed though and business is tough for everyone. Just curious if anyone else has had any luck with this issue. Thanks for the input, I agree it is a wear item but then again it is a poor design that has existed for many years.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
I guess from someone's butt rubbing the rubber door seal during entry and exit this seal has worn through and is torn.
I'd say it's more likely a previous owner's hand was always grabbing that area for ingress and egress. Fingernails, oil, rubber, etc.

I've just checked the driver door seal on my '04 and it still looks and feels new.

I'm all for pressuring BMW to do the right thing on components that don't live up to expectations, especially mechanical ones, but I'm with them on this.

To avoid the steep replacement cost, any prospect of trying a simple repair?
A rubber patch kit could work if you can fit a patch inside the torn moulding to hold it all neatly together.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:53 PM
pocket rocket

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
mine was replaced under warranty last year. i got my wife's X3 w/ a torn door seal front and back. scheduled an appointment and they fixed it for free together w/ all the other things i complained about.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
I guess from someone's butt rubbing the rubber door seal during entry and exit this seal has worn through and is torn. BMW fixed one on my older 528 but won't on our X claiming IT is considered a wear factor from external factors, not a defect. Well since this happens pretty frequently perhaps they should redesign it in this area.

Try getting it replaced by a different dealer. Good luck
cheers
Vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Mine was torn a month after I bought the car new. I didn't bother with having them replace it knowing it would just be torn again. I believe it is a bad design with poorly chosen materials. It is indeed caused by my (big) butt rubbing against it when entering the car wearing winter coats. Leather seems the worst. I have no problem with door seals in either the wife's A4, or my kids' XC70, XC90, or Tahoe. Those door seals are pristine. While the truck door is a bit larger, the Audi and Volvo driver's doors are virtually the same size as the X3.