Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW Z3 2.5i
Charmed Life

My 2002 2.5 has definitely lived a charmed life. It has 25,451 miles on it. I became the second owner in Sept 2010. It spent the winter hibernating indoors but that is over. It will be my daily driver for the next 9 months. At this point the car is in almost new condition as you might expect. I love this car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	z3_cropped.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	268737  
Old 03-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Carpe Diem

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko521 View Post
Sweet looking car
Thanks man!! These cars just never get old.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: e39 M5, Z3 2.8
I'll play. I bought my Z3 in december 2010, so I have not enjoyed the top down experience yet. (well actually, I did once as a dare by a good friend, lol). Its a 98 2.8L roadster with the special edition black leather with red piping seats. I love the car, sometimes more than my e39 M5....It is unique. the car has 128k currently and looks to have never been touched. It was originally from Texas and made it's way up Illinois to me. Anyway, As I got it I have replaced or added:
-thermostat
-coolant flush
-air filter
-valve cover gasket
-spare tire plastic cover
-spark plugs
-coil boots
-oil change
-seat bushings
-antenna grommet
-3rd brake light bulbs
-Bridgestone re0760's
-rear camber/toe kit
-H&R springs
-hvac bulbs
-window guides
Old 01-02-2012, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: 335i/Z3 2.8
Don't mean to necro-post, but:

1998 2.8 Z3. Dark Green beige/beige with the factory hardtop. 48k miles.

Fixed some oil leaks
Did the factory service bulletins (loose tank, speed sensitive volume, etc)
Replaced the front bumper cover after one too many repairs
Fixed the rocking seats
Replaced door handle gaskets
Replaced the antenna grommet

Other than a Dinan Front Strut Brace, and a Blaupunt Toronto in-dash CD player with an aux port (looks completely stock), the car is as delivered. The only thing odd about it is it has the sport seats, which I never see on another Z3 of that year.

The hood could use a re-spray, but other than that, it's in great shape.

Richman
Old 01-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3
Smile

No worries....
In November of 2011 I bought a 98 2.8 Z3 with about 91k on the clock.
Mine is also dark Green but has a black top and interior.
I haven't done much except for the rear brakes.
Oil Change due next week as well.
I am getting ready to upgrade the audio system, perhaps speakers to start and then we will see.
I also need to get a set of tires for the rear.

The car is just a great ride and I am so glad that I bought it!

Rudy
Old 01-04-2012, 09:56 AM
YYZED3M Driver

Mein Auto: '99 ////M Roadster
'99 M Roady, 75,000 miles. bought 6 months ago, oil/filter change, new Alpine head unit, new Polk Audio speakers (front and rear 5 1/4"), MTX Thunder 3200 amp and 12" Polk Audio sub in box, in trunk. new antenna grommet, new door handle grommets, new headlight/dimmer switch, and new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's all around. New front pads last weekend.

New back window when the weather warms a bit.

Need a new console plate where the switches are, in front of the shifter......... any hints where I could find one would be great!!! (Imola Red)

Crappy : )

(Just outside of Nashville)

Last edited by crappyattitude1; 01-05-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 z3 2.8
can it really be 15 years old?

built 1/97 approx. 50k miles looks and runs like brand new. hmmm what would a 15 year old kia look like... I have done all the preemptives..ie cooling sys, brakes, rotors, seat bushhings etc. now I start working on my wish list. Full saddle leather interior with silver conchos, twin screw turbo charger and the matching 6 speed manual trans. that should run about $20k and result in 400 hp and a better Z than they make currently. (and still less than a new kia) By the way does anybody else wonder why the current color choice is so bad on new Z's?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: z3 '97 atlanta blue 2.8
400 hp!? in this little car? puts me in mind of the "flexible flyer" kawasakis of the '70s. kawasaki put high horsepower engines in frames that weren't designed for that much power. they tended to spit off riders at high speeds.

people who own the z3m report structural problems with less than 400 hp. while the project sounds really kool, i'm sure i wouldn't do it to this car [we drive apparently identical z3s]. and a six-speed gearbox may be twice as many gears as needed with that much hp in such a small package.

i remember cityconstable advising that roll hoops weren't necessary if one concentrated on being a better driver. i think it was pinecone who advised someone to put their efforts into becoming a better driver instead of looking for increased hp. not trying to rain on your parade but you may not be happy with all the maintenance issues involved with that much power.

but, if you go ahead, we're all behind you. just keep us posted.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: -98 Mroadster S50 Estoril
1998 2.8 Roadster with 75 k. Its more or less original, runs like clock. Underneath it looks like it been driven 7k.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
2000 2.3 w/160,000 miles

My 2000 2.3 has a 160k on it. Yesterday I had a guy come up to me and say what a beautiful car it was. I told him it was eleven years old and he couldn't believe it. For the most part it is a daily driver and it is garaged kept. We have been to Homecoming, Z'fest, Washington DC, the Poconos, Niagara Falls, 4 trips on the Dragon and in 3 weeks we will be at the 24 hrs of Daytona. I have done my share of normal maintenance and more then a few mods. I love this car and I can not see myself without a Z3 in my life. Picture is at Niagara Falls Nov 2011.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3960A.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	307637  

Last edited by lil z3; 01-08-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added picture info
Old 01-08-2012, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 z3 2.8
Hoisted by me own petard

ok so I don't have 20k lying around.. Is that any reason not to dream??? Oh yeh... Roll hoops ( and Kia's ) still bite.
hoopless in beantown

Last edited by Cityconstable; 01-08-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: Z3M
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob lindquist View Post
Well I started this thread to have the Usual Suspects share the condition of their cars after all these years. What's looks like new, what's wearing out, what breaks all the time, whats the car been like.
Great thread. Helped me dial in my to do list. The car runs like a top. My wife and kids love it. The misses will jump in and take it whenever she gets the chance. She calls it the fun car.

>What looks like new.
In short - the car. Most people are shocked to learn this car is over 10 yrs old.

Maint
Brake pads, air filter, spark plugs and boots, Lubro Moly Fuel Injector and Valve Cleaner, tires (Continental DWS), battery, water pump, thermostat, belts, hoses, change out the fluids: oil, brake, power steering, and coolant.

To Do:
Change out diff and tranny fluid, rear shocks and mounts, fuel filter, valve cover gasket, secondary air pump and valve, and keeping an eye on the sub frame.

Repairs:
A new top. Replaced one of the front struts (2 of the flanges were broken - I have to assume the previous owner slid into a curb). Also reinstall one side of the rear sway bar (one of the bolts was missing - a common issue).

Mods:
If I were to do a mod, it would be to upgrade the suspension. The factory springs and sway bars are ok for driving on the street, but the setup is way too soft for the track.

I love this car. Love the way it looks, the performance, that I can do so much of the maint myself - in part due to all the posts on this forum and others like it. Thanks for that!

Last edited by turbo10325; 02-07-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 00 528, 00 MZ3
I bought my '00 MRdstr in April 2003 with only 7k on it. It now has 48K and looks new. Just in the last 2 months, or so, I was asked if it were a new model just in....not hardly....

I've only changed oil, tires and the rear speed sensor, in that order and frequency. Oil is done at least once a year, if not more often, even if I don't drive very far or much. I'm still on the original brakes to my knowledge. My indi service team is amazed at this and wonders if I ever really use them....Truth be told: I don't like to use them, that's the middle peddle...left and right pedals are used a lot.

Besides, my clubs fit in the trunk and I can drive with the top down all year long here. Yes, even when it is in the 20's.

Last edited by ghpup; 01-09-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3
Mr. FredR

Where did you purchase your Camber/Toe Adjustment kit at?