Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 750LI
Valvetronic Issue

So I took my 06 750 to an Indy shop where I live because all of my cyclinders were misfiring after the car warms up. The shop says that I have a Valvetronic issue and they don't know what it is unless they open up the engine. As an alternative they suggested that they could unplug the eccentric shaft position sensor and the car would drive fine with a little higher gas consumption. I got the car back with the sensor unplugged and the car drives fine except maybe a little higher rpms at idle. The codes they said they got were P0300 thru p0308. Can anyone tell me if unplugging the sensor will harm the engine.
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2015, 12:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750i
Valvetronic Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita1972 View Post
So I took my 06 750 to an Indy shop where I live because all of my cyclinders were misfiring after the car warms up. The shop says that I have a Valvetronic issue and they don't know what it is unless they open up the engine. As an alternative they suggested that they could unplug the eccentric shaft position sensor and the car would drive fine with a little higher gas consumption. I got the car back with the sensor unplugged and the car drives fine except maybe a little higher rpms at idle. The codes they said they got were P0300 thru p0308. Can anyone tell me if unplugging the sensor will harm the engine.

No it won't harm anything.
Valvetronic module or IVM could cause that if vvti sensorS are good.
I also saw the problem like this because of bad ECU:
-replaced vvti module no difference
-new vvti sensors 600$ wasted
-new ECU
problem got solved.
In my case one bank could not see vvti camshaft position. Turned out bad ECU 300$ and all good
Old 03-03-2015, 12:55 PM

Thanks that's good to hear. I replaced the IVM and cleaned all 4 of the VANOS Solenoids. About 6 months ago I replaced the valve seals and broke Bank 1 Eccentric Shaft Sensor. I bought a NON-OEM one from BAVAUTO. Do you think that might have anything to with the problem? I understand these engines are very sensitive. I'm just trying to get as much information as possible. Also where would you suggest to buy the ECU and would it need to be programmed for my car? I appreciate all of your help.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks that's good to hear. I replaced the IVM and cleaned all 4 of the VANOS Solenoids. About 6 months ago I replaced the valve seals and broke Bank 1 Eccentric Shaft Sensor. I bought a NON-OEM one from BAVAUTO. Do you think that might have anything to with the problem? I understand these engines are very sensitive. I'm just trying to get as much information as possible. Also where would you suggest to buy the ECU and would it need to be programmed for my car? I appreciate all of your help.

As far as I know there are no aftermarket sensors. Only Siemens vdo makes them. 300$ roughly.
If INPA or ista reads vvti cams positions well, then ecu should send signals to adjust them.
Of sensor is cracked, usually it's intermittent and misfiring.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:20 PM

Okay thanks. I'm having problems getting INPA to work but as soon as I do I'll check the readings. Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:35 AM

Hey Motronic, I have been trying to find the correct ECU and found 2. Could you or someone else confirm which is the correct one or if there is a different one than these?

1. Part # 11377575654

2. Part # 12147566725

Thanks
Old 03-05-2015, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 06
interesting that it points to cylinder 8. I might consider just changing the coil on that plug first just to see what happens
Old 03-05-2015, 07:20 AM

What would be the significance of cylinder 8 if all cylinders are misfiring?
Old 03-05-2015, 08:22 AM

then you gotta think higher up the food chain, ie ecu or what not. multiple strange codes can possibly be battery, but I think youre on the right track. I would not, however, change a part that Im not certain has failed
Old 03-05-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamilun View Post
then you gotta think higher up the food chain, ie ecu or what not. multiple strange codes can possibly be battery, but I think youre on the right track. I would not, however, change a part that Im not certain has failed

Don't worry, he is on the right track
If engine runs good without vvti connected, then it is 100% vvti issue and most likely vvti sensor, vvti module or ecu module.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:58 AM

any way to check these components, including through inpa? gets expensive quick to just change out parts. ask me how i know
Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 AM

Valvetronic Issue

Quote:
any way to check these components, including through inpa? gets expensive quick to just change out parts. ask me how i know

Read the thread from beginning. Of course you gotta diagnose it, and it's not that simple, because vvti is in emergency mode and it won't tell you what's wrong, unless it's simple sensor or vvti adjuster motor. But his case is easy, because vvti returns the cam into disabled mode. In my case one bank was completely off and it wouldn't turn the cam at all.
First time took me 2 weeks to fix it. Turned out DME ECU.

Last edited by Motronic; 03-05-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motronic View Post
Read the thread from beginning. Of course you gotta diagnose it, and it's not that simple, because vvti is in emergency mode and it won't tell you what's wrong, unless it's simple sensor or vvti adjuster motor. But his case is easy, because vvti returns the cam into disabled mode. In my case one bank was completely off and it wouldn't turn the cam at all.
First time took me 2 weeks to fix it. Turned out DME ECU.
theres nothing in the thread about actually testing components. sorry
Old 03-05-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
theres nothing in the thread about actually testing components. sorry

He said in the first post engine runs good without vvti connected, which means it was diagnosed correctly and problem is indeed with the vvti and has nothing to do with cools or anything else.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:28 PM

Well since there is nice weather today, I was able to work on my issue. I plugged the eccentric shaft sensor back in and drove the car around to see if cleaning the VANOS Solenoids made any difference. The car drove great.
I understand that it still could be the ECU or a bad sensor but my question is could I rule out bad levers or the shaft since if they were bad I would continue to have a problem.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Well since there is nice weather today, I was able to work on my issue. I plugged the eccentric shaft sensor back in and drove the car around to see if cleaning the VANOS Solenoids made any difference. The car drove great.

I understand that it still could be the ECU or a bad sensor but my question is could I rule out bad levers or the shaft since if they were bad I would continue to have a problem.

Thanks again for your help.

How do you know your vvti is working now?? It could be in emergency mode and you won't notice. You need to see in INPA if vvti is actually working, but if it is working fine, it means it's a glitch somewhere or end positions were not learnt correctly.
But cleaning vanos won't affect vvti functionality at any way, those systems are independent.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:50 AM

Okay thanks, I will post back once I get INPA up and running.