Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-10-2003, 09:27 AM
jk330i jk330i is offline
Ripening slushbox drifter
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 539
Send a message via AIM to jk330i
Mein Auto: 2002 330i OB
Engine clicking noise all of a sudden--HELP!

I noticed this morning as soon as I started the car I heard Engine ticking noises. I thought it might have been due to the factor it was cold, however, even after 5 minutes of warming up the noise didn't go away.

When I stepped on the gas, the noise seems to diminish and come back again during idle. When I popped open the hood the noise seemed to grow even more apparent. I drove it to my destination which is 2 miles away, and about 10 minutes later I got out of the car and checked again for noises. Same thing...."click click click". I had an oil service done 2 weeks ago and haven't noticed any noises until now.

Pls advise. thanks.
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-10-2003, 09:33 AM
JonW's Avatar
JonW JonW is offline
blubb blubb blubb
Location: Indiana Corn Fields
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,130
Mein Auto: '01 325xi & '93 325is
Check you oil level. I think low oil can make the valves click like that. But it could be other things as well.
__________________
  #3  
Old 10-10-2003, 09:54 AM
jk330i jk330i is offline
Ripening slushbox drifter
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 539
Send a message via AIM to jk330i
Mein Auto: 2002 330i OB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW
Check you oil level. I think low oil can make the valves click like that. But it could be other things as well.
But I just had an oil service done 2 weeks ago... any other thoughts? anyone?
  #4  
Old 10-10-2003, 10:00 AM
JonW's Avatar
JonW JonW is offline
blubb blubb blubb
Location: Indiana Corn Fields
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,130
Mein Auto: '01 325xi & '93 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk330i
But I just had an oil service done 2 weeks ago... any other thoughts? anyone?
Just because someone changed your oil does not mean it was done properly. I'd say have a look at the dipstick.
__________________
  #5  
Old 10-10-2003, 10:11 AM
operknockity's Avatar
operknockity operknockity is offline
My TARDIS is a BMW
Location: On the bleeding edge of last week
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,353
Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW
Just because someone changed your oil does not mean it was done properly. I'd say have a look at the dipstick.
The likelyhood is that the oil change was done correctly, but it only takes a minute to check it and eliminate a possible source of the problem. Besides, once you are under the hood, you might notice something else amiss which might be the real problem. I can't tell you the number of times I've popped the hood to find bolts that weren't fully tightened or air filter cover latches that weren't latched.
__________________
How many posts could a repost post if a repost could post posts?

  #6  
Old 10-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Artslinger's Avatar
Artslinger Artslinger is offline
BMW + twisty road = fun
Location: Evanston
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,886
Mein Auto: Car
Check the oil cap. Sometimes they forget to put it back on. Its happened to me twice (never with the BMW), now I make it a point to check after every oil change.
  #7  
Old 10-10-2003, 10:39 AM
jk330i jk330i is offline
Ripening slushbox drifter
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 539
Send a message via AIM to jk330i
Mein Auto: 2002 330i OB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger
Check the oil cap. Sometimes they forget to put it back on. Its happened to me twice (never with the BMW), now I make it a point to check after every oil change.
okay I'll do that and all the other things mentioned above. The funny thing is the biggest peeve of mine is service negligence on their part. I forgot to mention that on my oil service 2 weeks ago they forgot to re-cap my tire valve stems after checking air pressure. I had to go back and get some worn out old ones that were laying around.

And this was at Crevier BMW... surprise!
  #8  
Old 10-12-2003, 05:51 AM
blackhawk77 blackhawk77 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 205
Mein Auto: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk330i
But I just had an oil service done 2 weeks ago... any other thoughts? anyone?

Suspicious that it happened soon after an oil change.

Maybe they serviced it with the wrong oil......
__________________
2003 330CiA. Japan Rot, Sand Leather, Premium Pkg, Htd Seats
__________________________________________________ ________
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
  #9  
Old 10-12-2003, 06:53 AM
xspeedy's Avatar
xspeedy xspeedy is offline
mmm... carbs!
Location: Austin, TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,055
Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335i
Someone stole your engine and replaced it with an obsolete diesel
__________________
  #10  
Old 10-12-2003, 08:11 AM
operknockity's Avatar
operknockity operknockity is offline
My TARDIS is a BMW
Location: On the bleeding edge of last week
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,353
Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger
Check the oil cap. Sometimes they forget to put it back on.
After one service on my old car, the oil dipstick was not put back. I didn't notice it was gone but when I took the car in for a smog test a couple of weeks later, they wouldn't pass it because of the missing dip stick. Argh!
__________________
How many posts could a repost post if a repost could post posts?

  #11  
Old 10-12-2003, 10:52 AM
Orient330iNYC's Avatar
Orient330iNYC Orient330iNYC is offline
Flying monkey herder
Location: Wall St
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,198
Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
i've heard that ticking noise on my 330i before, and it was the oil level. was about 3/4 of a quart low.
and the reason it was 3/4 of a quart low was because i just brought it in for service a few weeks prior.

i have a feeling they just put in however many whole bottles of oil (6 or 7, i cant recall at the moment) and leave out whatever fraction. it would be a pain for them to deal with half empty bottles of oil.

now that prior statement is totally negated if they use bulk oil to fill. I've never seen them actually changing the oil so i have no clue if it comes from bottles or a bulk dispenser...
  #12  
Old 10-12-2003, 11:38 AM
The HACK's Avatar
The HACK The HACK is offline
Rest in peace, Coach
Location: People's Republic of United States
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 9,106
Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC
i've heard that ticking noise on my 330i before, and it was the oil level. was about 3/4 of a quart low.
and the reason it was 3/4 of a quart low was because i just brought it in for service a few weeks prior.

i have a feeling they just put in however many whole bottles of oil (6 or 7, i cant recall at the moment) and leave out whatever fraction. it would be a pain for them to deal with half empty bottles of oil.

now that prior statement is totally negated if they use bulk oil to fill. I've never seen them actually changing the oil so i have no clue if it comes from bottles or a bulk dispenser...
Service department don't carry "bottles" of oil. They have these giant 50 gallon drums of oil that they pump into the engine compartment.
__________________
Quote:
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
  #13  
Old 10-12-2003, 02:26 PM
Orient330iNYC's Avatar
Orient330iNYC Orient330iNYC is offline
Flying monkey herder
Location: Wall St
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,198
Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
that makes sense. how do they measure out the oil though? i've had two oil services and both times i was short about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart when i checked.
 

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms