Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Classic Bimmers

Classic Bimmers
Discussions pertaining to vintage and classic BMW models here...

Old 02-06-2010, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: BWM 645Ci
1973 3.0 csl should I buy it

Hi all,

does anyone have knowledge regarding this model?

I've got an opportunity to buy a CSL (RHD, only 1 of 500 produced) it's got rust on the front valance (above the front bumper,replacement panel needed), but I could not spot rust anywhere else. It's 9K ($14K). Is this a usual rust spot? Or is it that, that I haven't been able to spot rust elsewhere - due to my poor inspection.

Also could do with a respray as the paint is flat. chrome is okay though

What else should I be looking out for?

Trouble is the CSL looks so cool, I feel that my heart is ruling my head with this!!!

Help me before I fall into a money pit!!!

Jamie
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Regular User

Mein Auto: Z4 Coupe 3.0si, 2004 R32
Hello Jamie,
A 9K CSL is very tempting, isn't it? BUT... please do yourself a favor and find someone familiar with the coupes, because the wrong one can quickly become a money pit. A very big money pit.
Go to the E9coupe.com site, there are several buying guides - including a "rust prone area" diagram and other useful information - and regular contributors from the UK. Enlist their help, it can save you a lot of heartache and money.
If you go it alone, one very rust prone area that can be missed are the front fenders (what you call the "wings"). Study the photos of how they should look because if they seem a bit odd, there is a good chance that its rusting from the underside. Unless you're able to repair bodywork yourself, it can quickly get expensive.
One thing that I would ask you, is why the CSL? Regardless of how it was originally configured, correct body panels are rare (and thus, expensive). If you are after the look, the "standard" CS and CSIs can be made into a CSL clone or at least you can adapt the differences you find attractive (maybe the airdam? or the rims?) very easily.
Good luck and I hope to see you over at the e9coupe site!

1972 3.0 CS Coupe
2004 Golf R32
2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0si