Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-27-2014, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i E39
2003 525i Blue paint means its Sport?

So im thinking my 525 is a sport, ive got the M Sport steerign wheel, 88 series rims, and its low, real low (See attached) . Ive also noticed that my car is.. blue. I havent seen another 525i on the street with my car color, and according to the first owner, its the original paint.
im thinking about getting a thick Purple and red stripe on the passenger side, run it across the top, but i want to be sure i have an M before i do so, dont want to look like one of those posers lol
Let me know guys!
btw how the HLL do you post up pictures?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bm.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	461060  
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Color is not an indicator for the 525i (especially when we can't really see the color of your car in the pic you posted...it looks gray on my laptop). BTW...there should be an exterior color label on the underside of the hood. It's located on the lower right side just above the microfilter housing on the passenger side (see images below).

But if you post up the last 7 digits of your VIN...someone can pull up the build sheet to see if you have the 03 sport pkg.

Or you can do it youself by going to:
{Car color = Orientblau (Orient Blue) & undercoat is dunkelblau (dark blue) on color code label below}

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 08-27-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
I consider it tacky to badge a non-M car, but that's just me.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 99 BMW 540i
U are funny Deathstroke blue means sports what you don't know is people put the sports steering wheel on these cars even the sports seat sometime call real OEM.com (ecs.com) and give them the last 4 of Vin they will tell. Hate to tell u this but e39 sports are m5 and mainly in 540i's just a few in others
I mean factory sports but these days people do anything to modify them

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo

Mein Auto: OO=[][]=OO
Color means nothing. You do have the Sport Package wheels for a 525i, but the steering wheel (and if you have them) seats can be easily retrofitted to make it seem like a sport package car. The suspension on your car seems to be even lower than a sport package car, making me think that it at least has aftermarket springs.

Have the VIN run and know the truth. If you want my honest opinion.....you cannot put any type of stickers on the body of the car without it looking a 17 year old just bought the car (no offense if you ARE 17... we've all been there). You can do much better things to improve the aesthetics of the car.

Click Me

Albo's Official Upgrade Thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=532572

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
If you don't want to do nothing, you must want to do something.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: '02 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
but i want to be sure i have an M before i do so, dont want to look like one of those posers lol
yeah...its not

ColdWeather+Summer+Sport--20/30 Ceramic Tint--Euro Armrest--JL 13tw5-3 Subwoofer--LED AEs
Old 08-27-2014, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i E39
called DEALERSHIP

Thanks for the reply guys. Really appreciate it. I called the $tealership gave themmy last 7 and they told me i indeed have the m series version of the 525i .. atleast a part of it.. they say my car has the M suspension system, st.wheel, rims, brakes, and a few other things, guy mumbled alot. But he told me its not quite an M5. So idk if i still have the right to add the M stripe paint job on my car. .. and yes, applying M decals to a non M is tacky, and im 24 yrs old btw lol.
So... Should i go for it? Or am i not worthy.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:05 PM
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo

Mein Auto: OO=[][]=OO
Do not do it... you will get nothing but flak. The only "M" there is in the E39 family is the M5. The sport package was just called the "M-Sport" in the later years. No reason to advertise something that simple.

Click Me

Albo's Official Upgrade Thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=532572

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
If you don't want to do nothing, you must want to do something.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:03 PM
Nor genius Nor ignorant

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i
The topic of "M sports suspension" is beat to death unfortunately, and why bmw didn't call it just Sport suspension as it should have is beyond me.

Sport package varies by the year of the car, which was primarily a bunch of M badges.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-vs-M-packages

OT: You have normal sport package

For Sale:
1 Set of E39 OEM Technical graphite trim (No TPMS):
1 Set of E39 OEM Matt-Chrome trim (TPMS):

For Sale SOON: [PM for info!]
2 Sets of E39 OEM Maple wood "Muschelahorn" trim (No TPMS)
1 E39 OEM Maple wood " Muschelahorn" Steering wheel (w/o airbag)

Last edited by Dking078; 08-27-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:49 PM

I feel u Deathstroke u are so eager for M but if u don't have both front and rear M-teck bumper on your 525i that should be your first step not the M paint job cuz folks with M-teck bumpers will laugh at you on the road
Old 08-27-2014, 10:54 PM

Unfortunately 525i and 530i don't come with the factory M-teck package only the 540i's do
Old 08-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Color is not an indicator for the 525i
Darn. And I thought, all of a sudden, I might have had the sport!

See also:
- BMW 10-character vehicle defect code lookup tool for dealer service records (1) & how to better understand your 17-character BMW VIN (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) and online BMW VIN decoders (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & what is the definitive list of electronic computer modules that need VIN recoding once replaced (1)

And ...
- Meaningful (i.e., performance) differences between E39 base, sport, and M packages (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 08-28-2014, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528iA
One way to tell if it's a sport is if your side window frames are black, not chrome.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by occhis View Post
One way to tell if it's a sport is if your side window frames are black, not chrome.
I have to hand it to BMW M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G that people say what you just said.

I know exactly what you're talking about, so, I'm not denigrating you at all. I am in awe of BMW marketing that they make the higher-cost model LOOK different in superficial, but, easy to recognize ways.

That's sheer genius!

For example, how does blacked-out trim make the car handle better?

Yet, people constantly say that's one way to tell a sport model from a non-sport model. BMW M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G is amazing. The smartest guys in the world must work there.

See also:
- Meaningful (i.e., performance) differences between E39 base, sport, and M packages (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
These are the "performance" differences:
1. Different wheels and tires (17")
2. Different springs (slightly lower and different spring rates)
3. Different shocks & struts (different damping rates)
4. Slightly larger anti-sway bars
5. Different seats (arguably less comfortable with more features)

Overall, the sport package provides improved handling characteristics without degrading the quality ride (significantly).
Quote:
Originally Posted by King 5 View Post
3 spoke M steering wheel too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
I discounted that (and the moulding) as a non-performance improvement although some might say otherwise.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
btw how the HLL do you post up pictures?
See:
- How to post, shrink, modify, edit, annotate, merge, & upload pictures for posting here (1)