Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Wrenchin' fool ...

Mein Auto: e39 528it
FYI:

P0xxx is a generic code (all OBD II)
P1xxx is a manufacturer specific code

The above are emissions related codes.

Most code readers read both (Actron mentioned above)

The "next step up" are readers that read OBD I and II ... AND ... communicate over the CAN-bus to monitor and activate controller modules.

CAN (Controller Area Network) is an automotive standard and is not BMW-specific.
Details on the CAN protocol can be found on the web.
The data pathways (physical wiring, generally) used by the CAN are sometimes also referred to as the CAN-bus.
The control modules (in your/our BMWs) use the CAN-bus to communicate with each other.

Examples would be Autoenginuity, BMW GT1, ediabas/INPA, Carsoft, etc...

These typically require software AND a connection cable (hardware) with chips/coding to allow the software on your laptop to communicate through the cable to/with the modules on the CAN-bus.
Most require a serial port on your laptop to connect the cable to.
There are problems with newer laptops only having USB ports and people trying to use a USB to serial port adapter with these cables/software.

LOTS more information on how these operate, troubleshooting, tips & tricks, etc... on this BMW Diagnostics sub-forum.

2000 528iT Sport 5M (mfg. 5/1999) ~ 1990 325iX 5M
BMW CCA member #130075
JScottRacing
Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
I have just started to use PA Soft 1.3.6 two days ago to clear some codes. It does alot more than clearing codes but too bad I have no idea on how to read all the codes and stuff. You can clear codes, reset units, read/write .bin files...other stuff that I dont understand. Heres some pics of the scan I first did and there was alot of errors that didnt show up with a regular OBDII scanner. The only 2 errors that came up when I used a regular OBDII scanner are the 2 error in the DME. Well, after I cleared the codes everything is A OK. If anyone know where I can get some instructions or some understanding of the codes please let me know.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 02-26-2010, 12:49 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Question, how exactly do I read codes, where is the OBDII interface to plug the code scanner in?

1999 528iT
Old 02-26-2010, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc View Post
Question, how exactly do I read codes, where is the OBDII interface to plug the code scanner in?

1999 528iT
Google search is your friend!

The plug is under the dash, near the steering column...just to the left of it. You plug in, start the car or at least put in to position 2 or "on" then fire up your code scanner or lap top (in my case I use an ELM scanner connect to my laptop).
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, H&R 15mm spacers, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
xref here
Old 08-22-2010, 10:52 AM

As a cross reference, the least expensive CAN OBDII scanning tool on the net (that also reads pending codes & clears codes) seems to be this $30 Chinese-built Autel MaxiScan MS300 scanner.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 01 530i SP
OBDII Scan Tool

Anybody use any of the scan tools by Innova/Equus?? I used the 3100 sold at WMart $100 to clear my P0740 code to allow passing state insp test. Then I returned it b/c I want a higher model that also includes reading/clearing SRS codes (ABS too but I'm only interested in the SRS) since I have that light on. Their 3150 & 3160 ($150 & $200) models has that feat. http://www.equus.com/Product/3160/ABS_CanOBD2-Scan-Tool.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...tomotive%2C291
Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
I have the Innova 3100, the Peake and GT1.
The most used are first 2. I also own another car.
GT1 is used very seldom, only when playing with it or IF the other 2 don't show anything if the CEL is on, which has never happened. Laptop is bulky compared to the other 2 (GT1) and I'm not compelled to mess around with the car's settings.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 08-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdharvey View Post
Anybody use any of the scan tools by Innova/Equus?? I used the 3100 sold at WMart $100 to clear my P0740 code to allow passing state insp test. Then I returned it b/c I want a higher model that also includes reading/clearing SRS codes (ABS too but I'm only interested in the SRS) since I have that light on. Their 3150 & 3160 ($150 & $200) models has that feat. http://www.equus.com/Product/3160/ABS_CanOBD2-Scan-Tool.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...tomotive%2C291
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
I have the Innova 3100, the Peake and GT1.
The most used are first 2. I also own another car.
GT1 is used very seldom, only when playing with it or IF the other 2 don't show anything if the CEL is on, which has never happened. Laptop is bulky compared to the other 2 (GT1) and I'm not compelled to mess around with the car's settings.

I've got the ELM327 Bluetooth, the Autel MS300 above, the Peake, and a Laptop running INPA, DIS and GT1. Have NCS installed but too afraid to use that one.

For simple troubleshooting on the BMW, I go with the Peake reader.

For simple live data on any car, I go with the ELM327 streaming to an Android Tablet running Torque App.

For occasional live data when something doesn't feel right, I run the GT1.

Bought the Autel MS300 recommended above and used once to see what I can do. For the price, the ELM327 does a better job than Autel for 1/2 the price (unless you include the cost of the Android tablet). Although the bluetooth connection is a bit flaky at times.

Anyone know what the INNOVA 3100 can do that the MS300 or Peake can't? Seems for the price of the Innova, a Peake for the BMW specific and a MS300 for BMW and most other cars is sufficient.

Last edited by dvsgene; 08-21-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 PM

my link above shows the comparison chart for the diff Innova models. I personally wouldn't be interested in a BMW only tool and although neat techy thought on the SW ops, I don't want to lug a laptop or IPad around just to read and/or erase codes. I've narrowed my choices down to the Actron 9580 (what Autozone uses) or the Innova 3160b (latest). I think the Innova has the edge for hopefully being able to give me insight into my SRS light. Others I read are interested in the ABS feat although not all inclusive for all cars. I think the Actron has ABS but I don't think it has the SRS feat. Its $179 while the Innova is $199 (Amazon).
Old 08-21-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
Anyone know what the INNOVA 3100 can do that the MS300 or Peake can't? Seems for the price of the Innova, a Peake for the BMW specific and a MS300 for BMW and most other cars is sufficient.
There are better models than the 3100 from Innova.
What Innova can do that Peake can't, is connect the scanner to the computer, and go online to the Innova site, where it can give you a diagnostic with a solution for the pulled code and car specific model. No need to search forums to diagnose, just to find help to DIY.
Innova site
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
There are better models than the 3100 from Innova.
What Innova can do that Peake can't, is connect the scanner to the computer, and go online to the Innova site, where it can give you a diagnostic with a solution for the pulled code and car specific model. No need to search forums to diagnose, just to find help to DIY.
Innova site
Aaaah, that makes a difference. Online access.

I think I have enough diagnostic tools at this moment though.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 PM

but the big Ah ha gotcha is that innova charges for the detailed online diag solutions...that's what I hear most complain about on a lot of blogs and reviews. I think around $15 ea (per pull). I don't care about that though, I plan to do what most do and that is google the code for info for free! :-)
Old 08-24-2012, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: E39 (528i)
So i skim read through here so forgive me if its been mentioned already. Im looking for a reader that will cover basics and bmw specific codes. Im restoring a junked '99 528i and now that i got the engine running, the tranny light is on with a few others, but the tranny is the scary one to me. Ive seen one code reader here that i beleive would work, but i would like to see more options. Whats available for about 100-150 dollars?

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Old 08-24-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdharvey View Post
but the big Ah ha gotcha is that innova charges for the detailed online diag solutions...that's what I hear most complain about on a lot of blogs and reviews. I think around $15 ea (per pull). I don't care about that though, I plan to do what most do and that is google the code for info for free! :-)
I haven't had that issue (to pay). I just registered when I purchased that tool, and once connected, I received the detailed info for the specific code I had (last year). Haven't had any other issues since, so I don't know if it stil works or not. That would be bad to charge you for each code.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
For non BMW specific troubleshooting, I have a Yongtek bluetooth scanner paired to my phone using the Torque app.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 PM

See also:
- Where to get a cheap OBDII DTC scanner (1) (2) or a better scanner (1) or the best diagnostic tools (1) (2) (3)