Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M Sport
e92 Weak heater

Ok, so last night did my 70mile trip home from the Indy airport where my car hit the 2k mile mark. I ordered this car back in September, waited a grueling two months and picked her up on Nov 2. I've got to say that so far I am having a blast. The car looks and sounds great and performs better than I had even anticipated. I came from a 2003 325i so while familiar with BMW the performance on this is leaps and bounds above.

It is not all roses though!

Not sure if this is a general 2010 e92 issue or issue with my car. Granted when I got the airport last night and started it up it was about 10F outside and by the time I got home it was ~7F but the car never really warmed up. Oil was up to temp but inside heating temp was the problem. In the e46 you could cook a turkey in the cabin if you wanted to. This one is weak when it comes to temperature and had it not been for heated seats and wheel I would have been downright cold. I did everything I could think of with the settings but nothing seemed to help. This is the second time under really cold conditions that I notice this. Anyone else in a northern climate have this problem or should I take it in to be checked?

I hate winter!
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
You put the red/blue dial on red, right?

Then again 7F is pretty cold.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Hi plo. There has been negligible mention of HVAC cabin heating problems with the E9x. I have an E92 and get more than adequate heating within 10 minutes at temperatures similar to what you report.
When you call your SA you should have factual info available, otherwise they might think you are on blood thinners or don't know what you are talking about. Here's what to do; set your temp dial to the maximum temp, set your system to 'vent', be sure the dial is set to the red zone on the upper dash, set the fan speed to the second speed from low. Drive the car and measure the exact vent output temperature.
That is the method specified by all mfrs. for checking heater output, Your thermometer should read at least 140 and ideal would be 160F. Don't let them tell you that it isn't working to spec because "it's too cold out". That's BS, the thermostat guarantees a minimum engine temperature and that's where all the hot coolant for the heater core comes from.
Try the test I described and let us know what you get.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Gentleman Extraordinaire

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Hi plo. There has been negligible mention of HVAC cabin heating problems with the E9x. I have an E92 and get more than adequate heating within 10 minutes at temperatures similar to what you report.
When you call your SA you should have factual info available, otherwise they might think you are on blood thinners or don't know what you are talking about. Here's what to do; set your temp dial to the maximum temp, set your system to 'vent', be sure the dial is set to the red zone on the upper dash, set the fan speed to the second speed from low. Drive the car and measure the exact vent output temperature.
That is the method specified by all mfrs. for checking heater output, Your thermometer should read at least 140 and ideal would be 160F. Don't let them tell you that it isn't working to spec because "it's too cold out". That's BS, the thermostat guarantees a minimum engine temperature and that's where all the hot coolant for the heater core comes from.
Try the test I described and let us know what you get.

2009 E92 335i xDrive (Ordered 3/21/09 / Completed 5/4/09 / Delivery 6/6/09)

Space Gray Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / Gray Poplar Wood Trim / ZPP / ZCW / ZSP with 18" wheels / StepTronic / Navi+HD Radio / Logic 7 / iPod+USB / PDC / Anti-Theft
Old 01-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Did you have the climate control on automatic? Additionally, it helps if the centre vent dial (underneath lock button) should be at middle or to the right/red.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:51 AM

Thanks DSX. I noticed over the weekend that when I hit the MAX button no light comes on. I am pretty sure we have a problem. I am calling the SA to make an appointment and will run your test beforehand to make sure i go in with some solid ammo. I appreciate your advice.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by plo335ICPE View Post
Thanks DSX. I noticed over the weekend that when I hit the MAX button no light comes on. I am pretty sure we have a problem. I am calling the SA to make an appointment and will run your test beforehand to make sure i go in with some solid ammo. I appreciate your advice.
My guess is that they are going to be replacing the Control Head. That's the box directly behind the control panel, which is part of the control panel. It contains the HVAC computer and drivers.
It's relatively easy diagnostics, and a fast job. The part cost would choke a horse but you won't be paying...
The dealer is very unlikely to have the part in stock so be prepared to have a loaner for a few days.
Let us know what happens.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:47 PM

I stopped by and talked with my SA on Tuesday while cold outside but the car up to temperature. SA gets in and gives me a resounding, yes, we have a heating problem and we set up an appointment to drop the car off today and put me in a loaner. By noon he's calling me telling me that they checked it on the computer and no faults or issues are showing up and the tech looked at it and it was heating correctly. Wants me to pick it up and tech will go through proper operation of the heating system (WTF!) Loaner he puts me in is a 2010 328 vert. Heating system is identical to mine. I set it at max temp and after 2 minutes I am cooking. Hit the MAX button and lights up, and makes adjustments to the settings. Works as you would expect. I don't have a PhD in HVAC but I know how to work a car heater!

So he calls me a while later and tells me to disregard the previous conversation. He took it out of the bay and fiddled around with it and agrees it isn't working right. He will call me back with a report later today.

Annoys me that we can sit in it one day and we are in complete agreement that we have a problem but because they hook it up to a computer that reads no problems, they dismiss it.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
I stopped by and talked with my SA on Tuesday while cold outside but the car up to temperature. SA gets in and gives me a resounding, yes, we have a heating problem and we set up an appointment to drop the car off today and put me in a loaner. By noon he's calling me telling me that they checked it on the computer and no faults or issues are showing up and the tech looked at it and it was heating correctly. Wants me to pick it up and tech will go through proper operation of the heating system (WTF!) Loaner he puts me in is a 2010 328 vert. Heating system is identical to mine. I set it at max temp and after 2 minutes I am cooking. Hit the MAX button and lights up, and makes adjustments to the settings. Works as you would expect. I don't have a PhD in HVAC but I know how to work a car heater!

So he calls me a while later and tells me to disregard the previous conversation. He took it out of the bay and fiddled around with it and agrees it isn't working right. He will call me back with a report later today.

Annoys me that we can sit in it one day and we are in complete agreement that we have a problem but because they hook it up to a computer that reads no problems, they dismiss it.
That's exactly why I suggested you have temperature data to whack the SA over the head with. I have heard this story so many times, "the computer says there is nothing wrong with it." Then how come you're freezing your *ss off?
I knew you were going to hear the "let us show you how to work it" BS!

PS I bet they don't give you a vert if you bring your car in in July!
Old 02-04-2010, 01:28 PM

You were absolutely correct. But when I stopped by earlier this week and he was in such wild agreement I though that would be enough. For crying out loud, it is obvious! Chalk it up to lesson learned.

and your right, he was probably LHAO when he handed me the keys to the vert while the snowflake symbol is on in the dash!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
You were absolutely correct. But when I stopped by earlier this week and he was in such wild agreement I though that would be enough. For crying out loud, it is obvious! Chalk it up to lesson learned.

and your right, he was probably LHAO when he handed me the keys to the vert while the snowflake symbol is on in the dash!
The b*st*rd!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 94 325i, 95 332ti
Curious what they did to resolve this issue...
Old 10-03-2012, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
I've never had an issue, then again 30 degrees is really cold for me to be out driving in. N4S