Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 10-11-2003, 05:56 AM
ED experienced member

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 528i
Smile Newbie questions? Which BMW Center does $1200 over invoice for ED?

I am a new member of this board and have learnt so much from the knowledge base here about BMWs... so thanks to all of you in advance.

I am considering getting into my first BMW ever, a 325i, and to keep the price on the lowest, I am only considering it to be equipped with Auto, Moonroof and Onboard computer. What I have found is the dealer stock may have just a couple, if any at all, of these lowest configured cars. Its hard to find anything without getting into the premium or sport package. So I looked into the ED program but I have found dealers to be discouraging new BMW enthusiasts like myself from the so called ordeal.

So my question here is that could I still order a 2003 model from ED or is it too late?
and how cold would it be in Munich by the time my car is built, and I want to drive it to Amsterdam and drop it off there?
And because of timing, would it be less expensive to get into a dealer stock 2003 as they maybe eager to dispose those off?
And finally, would anybody recommend any dealer in SoCal that would encourage ED as the ones I have talked to in San Diego havent raised my spirits high about the program.

One other ignorant question... What are the E46 and other E models representing???

Last edited by tashi; 10-13-2003 at 08:55 AM.
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2003, 07:27 AM
Tree Stalker

Mein Auto: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe
Too late for the 2003.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashi
I am a new member of this board and have learnt so much from the knowledge base here about BMWs... so thanks to all of you in advance.

I am considering getting into my first BMW ever, a 325i, and to keep the price on the lowest, I am only considering it to be equipped with Auto, Moonroof and Onboard computer. What I have found is the dealer stock may have just a couple, if any at all, of these lowest configured cars. Its hard to find anything without getting into the premium or sport package. So I looked into the ED program but I have found dealers to be discouraging new BMW enthusiasts like myself from the so called ordeal.

So my question here is that could I still order a 2003 model from ED or is it too late?
and how cold would it be in Munich by the time my car is built, and I want to drive it to Amsterdam and drop it off there?
And because of timing, would it be less expensive to get into a dealer stock 2003 as they maybe eager to dispose those off?
And finally, would anybody recommend any dealer in SoCal that would encourage ED as the ones I have talked to in San Diego havent raised my spirits high about the program.

One other ignorant question... What are the E46 and other E models representing???
let me try to answer some..

1) There are plenty of dealer who will...go find someone who would do ED
2) I believe 2003 production ended in first week sept (that is what usually happens)...since your car is custom built for ED pick up..you have no choice (i believe)
3)ED does not come out of dealer stock but if you can get 10% off MSRP in USA then you should NOT do ED but..see 4)
4) ED is a great fun experience except waiting for redelivery in USA. See my pics in my URL for e.g and search board.
5)E abbreviation stands for a very funny looking german word which means "development"
6) Two months from order day for ED pick up will put you in December..which will be cold!..but your airfare will be cheaper but your car will be very dirty at drop off.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i ED
You are well into the 2004 production year. It started in September. Typically, the factory is closed in August to do the model year switch over.

However, the good news is there were practically no changes in pricing between the 2003 and 2004 model years. In the configuration you mention (step, MR and OBC), the car you get is going to be identical to the 2003. Now you do bring up a good point about 2003 incentives, however, if you have a specific color in mind (outside of black or silver), it will be very hard to find. However, "lightly optioned cars are out there (I have seen a few with SP, MR and step). The 2003 incentives may help you in getting SP for the same price as a 2004 w/out SP. But you must act fast.

I would search around for a good dealer willing to do ED. As Eksath mentioned, just be aware of the weather in Europe when you plan your pickup date.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:29 AM
ED experienced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer4me
You are well into the 2004 production year. It started in September. Typically, the factory is closed in August to do the model year switch over.

However, the good news is there were practically no changes in pricing between the 2003 and 2004 model years. In the configuration you mention (step, MR and OBC), the car you get is going to be identical to the 2003. Now you do bring up a good point about 2003 incentives, however, if you have a specific color in mind (outside of black or silver), it will be very hard to find. However, "lightly optioned cars are out there (I have seen a few with SP, MR and step). The 2003 incentives may help you in getting SP for the same price as a 2004 w/out SP. But you must act fast.

I would search around for a good dealer willing to do ED. As Eksath mentioned, just be aware of the weather in Europe when you plan your pickup date.
Thanks to all who responded... Eksath I really liked your pictures of beautiful countryside Germany. And also I found your pics on some aircraft picture site and loved all of them.

beemer4me, really appreciated your insight. I am getting the idea that the full benefit of ED is appreciated in spring, summer or fall. So either I'll have to wait till then, or get a local car. One dealer in San Diego is willing to sell me any 2003 325 for $1000 under invoice, or 330 for $2000 under invoice, which sounds like slightly better than what I would pay for ED. But for what I would spend on ZPP, I'd rather get a navigation, and so the exact requirements I have can only be special ordered.

How does the dealer do financing for ED car?
Old 10-11-2003, 02:57 PM

The car has to be paid in full 30 days prior to delivery in Munich. How you pay for it is up to you. As for dealer financing, you will basically draw down your loan 30 days before you actually see your car, you will also be paying payments while it is being shipped back. Your first payment will probably be around the time you pick up your car and your second while its on a boat.

Leasing an ED vehcile is even worse, you will be paying payments on a car that you will not have use over. Whether its a loan or lease, the rate will be the prevailing rate at the time you apply.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:56 PM
ED experienced member

Yeah I dont mind making payments early because I will pay it off early as well... wont lease it...

Just came back from a dealer who told me on the phone he'd do ED for $1000 over invoice but in person pressed me to get into one of their leftover 03 cars. When I said I wanted to do ED only he raised his share to $1500.

Please anyone, find me a decent dealer in Cali that would do ED at $1K + change as others have experienced...

Last edited by tashi; 10-11-2003 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:02 PM

I think you will be hard pressed to find a dealer to do a $1K deal right now. They have 2003s to move off the lot. I think it is more likely you will find a $1,200 deal. That is not to say that nobody will do $1K. Personally, it was easy to find someone to do $1.2K over, $1k was a little harder.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:53 PM
ED experienced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer4me
I think you will be hard pressed to find a dealer to do a $1K deal right now. They have 2003s to move off the lot. I think it is more likely you will find a $1,200 deal. That is not to say that nobody will do $1K. Personally, it was easy to find someone to do $1.2K over, $1k was a little harder.
Do you know a CA dealer who would do $1200 over? I am not being able to find one in San Diego / LA...

Thanks for the assistance.