Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-30-2010, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: '04 325i
Unhappy Oil Drain Plug Shearing During Oil Change!

Was doing my first oil change since I got my new (used) 2004 325i. Everything was going smoothly until I went to screw the oil drain plug back in to the pan.

The bolt started giving a bit of resistance, and when a bit of torque was applied, the head of the bolt sheared right off. It's not as though I was putting my back into cranking this thing down; I was actually just barely turning with one arm and started to feel the lack of consistency in the resistance the bolt was giving me.

I manged to get the remianing chunk of bolt out of the pan, and bought an OEM plug replacement from the local auto parts store. Everything is completed now, but I'm curious if anyone has experienced or heard of this happening.

Could this have just been a bum plug that sheared or is this something I need to continue to be careful of?

Thanks for any input.

Advertisement
Old 01-30-2010, 04:33 PM
In my own cars again

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
The plugs shear pretty easily. The bit that stays behind is hollow and soft, so the easiest way to get out the remainder is to bang a flat screwdriver into the hole and turn it out. It sounds like you did fine getting it out.

If it sheared with very little torque from you, then it had probably been overtorqued the last time it was put in. There was a little damage done to it then, then a bit more when you removed it (unbeknownst to you of course) and then the re-insertion put it over the top.

I killed one years ago on the wife's Touring. Since I started keeping a spare around, I have not had that problem

--Micah O'C
CCA 193374
'88 M5, Bilstein Sports/ST Springs, staggered BBS RS, Euro conversion
'04 330i ZHP, Jet Black 6spd, hot seats, LightWerkz TFX-Xenon, Bilstein PSS10
UUC Strut/SwayBarbarians, PowerFlex CAB/TAB, Performance Gearing 3.38 LSD

Old 01-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Heh.

I don't undo the drain plug when I change the oil with my Mityvac.

But seriously, I agree with MicahO that the bolt was probably gorrilla-ed on there the last time the oil was changed.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:46 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
One reason why I put in a new bolt every 3 or 4 oil changes.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 01-30-2010, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Consider using an oil extractor and forget about the pan nut. Far easier and cleaner too. And don't listen to anyone who tells you they aren't any good because they don't get the bottom crud out of your pan. If you have crud like they tell you -- you have some other serious problem.

I use it on my Porsche and BMW. Never a problem. They cost around $60.00.

Here's an interesting link on their use.

http://www.webs4racers.com/bmw/oil/
Old 01-30-2010, 08:43 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
Yeah, the oil plug is hollow as a protective measure for the pan. That way, if you get too brutish with the wrench (like when you don't use a torque wrench), you won't strip the thread on the pan and need to do a major rethreading repair there. If it went with minimal force you were either crossthreading it or, as mentioned, had been overtorqued previously.

2006 325Ci
Old 01-30-2010, 11:35 PM

Thank you all for the responses.

Luckily, I was able to use my Easy Out (which was extra easy since the bolt was already hollow I didn't need to drill it).

After checking out the photolog of the extractor process that bh1066 posted, I am definitely getting an extractor. Couple the bolt fiasco with a small "the damned jack is stuck to the jack point" problem, and I am convinced to pursue simpler oil changes.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmcarter View Post
Thank you all for the responses.

Luckily, I was able to use my Easy Out (which was extra easy since the bolt was already hollow I didn't need to drill it).

After checking out the photolog of the extractor process that bh1066 posted, I am definitely getting an extractor. Couple the bolt fiasco with a small "the damned jack is stuck to the jack point" problem, and I am convinced to pursue simpler oil changes.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...672&highlight=

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:28 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
wow, lucky you were able to get it out. i knew someone would mention the vac-oil changes.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourcoul View Post
(like when you don't use a torque wrench)
I have never sheared off my pan bolt and I have never sheared off the bolt. Common sense is required, not a torque wrench.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 01-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Quote:
bought an OEM plug replacement from the local auto parts store.
I use a torque wrench (same setting for the drain bolt and oil filter cover) and at 120K miles and about a dozen oil changes I've done myself, never sheared the oil drain plug bolt. One item to note. Most parts store plugs are NOT hollow. If you over torque these you WILL damage the threads on the oil pan as the aftermarket bolt will not shear. Unless your sure it is hollow, go now and pick up 2 drain plugs from the dealer. Next oil change, throw the after market plug away.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:22 AM

OEM plug is hollow as well. Also I assure you that a torque wrench set to tighten the plug appropriately would have sheared the bolt just as I did. Glad to have the "only an ogre could rip the plug head off" responses since it assures me I won't have to worry too much about this moving forward.. Especially with vac based changes
Old 01-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I have never sheared off my pan bolt and I have never sheared off the bolt. Common sense is required, not a torque wrench.
Hm, ja, but we all know secretly you want one of these:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aa_tw.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	216778  

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:15 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan View Post
Hm, ja, but we all know secretly you want one of these:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store
Well sure, EVERYONE wants one of those!

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 10-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
I was able to use my Easy Out (which was extra easy since the bolt was already hollow I didn't need to drill it).
For cross reference, from the VERY best of E39 Links:
- How to fix broken or stripped oil drain pan plug bolt threads (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17)

Last edited by bluebee; 10-07-2010 at 10:24 PM.