Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-18-2011, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Thumbs up Thank you for your awesome and helpful posts!

I have been dealing with the "check engine" light on my car "beamie" for the last three years and P0491 and P042. We have to get cars inspected here and each year before inspection I would take her to the mechanic and ask them to try to get the light off and to get it to pass inspection. Every year they would charge me between $300 - $350 and somehow get it to pass inspection at their own emissions center. Two days after emissions testing the light would come back on. I read your post and we checked our cars emission system. We started by ruling out the least expensive part...the vacuum hose behind the manifold. We could not remove manifold but we did remove air vent cover above the manifold. It gave us more room and we reached and reached until we found a hose that was not connected! We went up to auto zone and bought a vacuum hose for $1, came home and, with mirrors and flashlights we repaired the hose. We disconnected and then reconnected the battery. After three days of local driving the engine light went out and the car passed inspection! $1 that is all it took after reading your post, seeing your photos and reading that newsletter! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:38 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
jillsocean, you are very welcome. I'm glad you got rid of the code.

If there are more problems with "beamie" in the future post a thread with a question and we'll see if we can help with a piece of advice.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 330i 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
If you are planning to remove your valve cover one day (for VCG or VANOS seals), you might want to read this just in case...
I took the cover off last night and the car was idling rougher then it had been. I might have discounted that little hose you're talking about.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Before you assume it's the hose behind the VC, check the one by the check valve, check that the air pump kicks in in the morning, check the air pump large hose - those are easy things to do.
Where is the Check valve?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiz21 View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread but this is my exact problem. How long after separating the hoses behind the valve cover did you start to get codes? I did it a few months ago and it seems like only recently it started for me. I havent had a chance to check it cause of work, but planning on looking into it this weekend and was just curious as to timeline for this. Thanks for the DIY btw.
I'm in the same situation as you. All was well then I started to do preventative maintenance by starting the with replacing the VCG and moved on to the OFH gasket and my car hasn't idle right since.

All this is an eye opener for me I had no idea items in an engine could be so fragile.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:26 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalin View Post
Where is the Check valve?
It's that silver looking can thing by the big pump itself
Old 06-18-2011, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 323i
I'm just bought myself a 2000 323i. When I bought it the check engine light was on. I took it to a local mechanic being as I dont have a diagonstic tool yet. They told me that there were 15 codes when they first checked. They reset the codes and the only one to come back was a "Malfuction of the secondary air injection system bank 2." Two mounts for the pump are broken, do you think that could be the source of my problem?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:54 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpyro View Post
I'm just bought myself a 2000 323i. When I bought it the check engine light was on. I took it to a local mechanic being as I dont have a diagonstic tool yet. They told me that there were 15 codes when they first checked. They reset the codes and the only one to come back was a "Malfuction of the secondary air injection system bank 2." Two mounts for the pump are broken, do you think that could be the source of my problem?
No, the mounts won't set a code but a break or crack in the plastic and rubber tubing and hoses connected to the air pump will. Check them carefully, especially toward the back of the engine, it's a common problem and an easy repair. The air pump itself may also be the problem, but check the hoses first.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 323i
Will do. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-05-2011, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 520i
Quote:
I could not edit my original post so I'm posting some additional information that I have collected here.

Paragraphs 6,7,8 and 9 of the bavauto secondary air system troubleshooting guide (see original post) discuss diagnosing system components located below and behind the manifold in a hard to reach place. Bimmerfest member Genuity shared the pictures of these components (electrical vacuum valve and non-return valve) that he took as a part of his car overhaul project. I appreciate his contribution and insert these pictures as a part of the origilal write-up.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot man. I've been looking for such pics for ages!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 330i
what are symtoms of a bad secondary air pump? white smoke from exhaust?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:02 AM
*^^^^^^^^*

Quote:
Originally Posted by veli510 View Post
what are symtoms of a bad secondary air pump? white smoke from exhaust?
No, white smoke from the exhaust has nothing to do with secondary air pump. Besides throwing a code there are no obvious symptoms.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 330i
Quote:
No, white smoke from the exhaust has nothing to do with secondary air pump. Besides throwing a code there are no obvious symptoms.
thanks for fast reply. i'm having white smoke from exhaust, only does it after cold start once a day. every morning.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: 95 325i conv
This posting came in handy.. i got the same problem and did what you said to do.
and i am back on track got rid of the codes.. thanks a lot for your help.really appreciated...
Old 04-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Etz

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
I believe that my pump is going bad. My indications are the screeching sound that begins as soon as I start the cold engine.

From the reading that I've been doing today, I'll be replacing the pump and the valve at the same time. Since these are the two most expensive parts, and I don't have the money currently, can I simply disconnect the power to the pump for a month or so while I get the money together? What problems, if any, can I expect?

Thanks,

Etz
Old 05-28-2012, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Please help!

I have a 2005 545 and I had the vcg changed. Immediately following my ses light came on. Additionally, I get an error message of increased emissions or engine malfunction further driving can damage the catalytic converter. I had the ses checked and I received these same codes P0491/492. Please help! The car idles hard and it's making me insane. By the way I also changed the spark plugs. Any help is more than appreciated.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:12 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrnshuga View Post
I have a 2005 545 and I had the vcg changed. Immediately following my ses light came on. Additionally, I get an error message of increased emissions or engine malfunction further driving can damage the catalytic converter. I had the ses checked and I received these same codes P0491/492. Please help! The car idles hard and it's making me insane. By the way I also changed the spark plugs. Any help is more than appreciated.
The help is in the first post of this thread
Old 05-31-2012, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto: 95 325i conv
Thank s s Alex found it
Old 07-11-2012, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 528iTa
Thumbs down Thanks to members Genutiy and Starless

Those pix in missives #8 and 35 make replacement of the hoses so much easier than my previous method, which was to reach around and try to guess what was going where.

A rare shot of the vac control valve indeed!

Three years later and your sharing is still helping out the witless...thank you!

Tom
Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: '94 BMW 318i
Thanks for this write-up! Very helpful!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
I toke my car to Munich wast and get replaced water pump, thermostat and bled cooling system. Replaced valve cover gaskets and vanes solenoid seals. Replaced 4 feet of vacuum hose at front of engine. R&R left engine mount bracket and alternator bracket replaced seal on engine block plate. After the finish all this work my serves engine light is on. I toke it back and the pulled engine codes replaced valve cover breather valves and reset fault codes and charge me for the second time. The serves engine light came back again and they told me that the secondary air control system is bad and it will take 8 hour work and the part is around $200 after they charge me $2291.73 for the first time and $58.04 for the second time. I need help? No serves engine light before the serves the only problem I had was liking the coolant and sums oil.

Last edited by deresse1998; 03-28-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
this is easy to do, i am actually doing this myself and should take you about 1-2 hrs max to do, save yourself the $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by deresse1998 View Post
I toke my car to Munich wast and get replaced water pump, thermostat and bled cooling system. Replaced valve cover gaskets and vanes solenoid seals. Replaced 4 feet of vacuum hose at front of engine. R&R left engine mount bracket and alternator bracket replaced seal on engine block plate. After the finish all this work my serves engine light is on. I toke it back and the pulled engine codes replaced valve cover breather valves and reset fault codes and charge me for the second time. The serves engine light came back again and they told me that the secondary air control system is bad and it will take 8 hour work and the part is around $200 after they charge me $2291.73 for the first time and $58.04 for the second time. I need help? No serves engine light before the serves the only problem I had was liking the coolant and sums oil.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Thanks for this posting!!! I bought a used 02 330i and it had a check engine light. The dealership promised to fix the P0491,0492,0441 & 0442. The small shop they used had it 3 times and the code kept coming back. The last time they said they replaced the purge valve (which it didn't look new) and the 0491 & 0492 codes came back. I read this posting and knew it was time for me to get my hands dirty. I found the exact same break in the vacuum line behind the intake. That hose is so small and brittle it came apart in my hands. A quick replacement of the vacuum hose and no more engine lights!!!! Thanks Starless!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 02 325i
Thanks for this post. Did my disa seals this past weekend and then threw this code. Ended up being the vacuum hoses you said. I had to end up replacing them all, and it was a p.I.t.a, after they crumbled when I went to inspect them. But my light is now off and it would have taken me a while to figure it out. Thanks again
Old 06-10-2013, 05:37 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Just fyi if you don't need to pass emissions. You can just remove the secondary air pump. All it does is pump fresh air into the cats really.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD