Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-07-2016, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i convertible
Discontinuation of BMW assist/connected drive

I received an email today about the 12/31/16 disconnection of the assist and connected drive for my model. I have a 2012 e93 328i with a certified pre-owned warranty through January, 2018. I am being offered a free retrofit of a new system or $200 cash. I'm not sure what I will lose, other than emergency road service/accident assistance. I have the BMW apps option. If I take the cash, can I assume that my bluetooth hands free connection to my iPhone will still work? I rarely, if ever, use the Apps option that I have. I don't use the google maps send to navigation. Will I still be able to read text and email messages on my nav screen if I take the cash? Any other info that you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2016, 09:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Did you have an assist plan or just the CPO warranty with the included assist safety features?
Old 10-07-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
Did you have an assist plan or just the CPO warranty with the included assist safety features?
I believe that I just have the included assist safety features. When the factory warranty expired, I declined to pay for added benefits.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:22 AM
Registered Boozer

Mein Auto: E36 M3, 335is cab, E70 X5
I would retrofit the new system, why not. Would be a selling point if you ever decide to move on to another car.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMGP View Post
I would retrofit the new system, why not. Would be a selling point if you ever decide to move on to another car.
I do not plan to re-up the safety assist feature when it expires in January, 2018. Also, I have done some coding with the Carly OBD2 system. Do you think that will be a problem if I were to choose the retrofit? I can always re-code since I own the dongle and app.

Last edited by GaryPSU; 10-07-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Additions
Old 10-07-2016, 11:29 AM
Car guy since 1968

Mein Auto: 2008 E91 328xi Sportwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPSU View Post
I received an email today about the 12/31/16 disconnection of the assist and connected drive for my model. I have a 2012 e93 328i with a certified pre-owned warranty through January, 2018. I am being offered a free retrofit of a new system or $200 cash. I'm not sure what I will lose, other than emergency road service/accident assistance. I have the BMW apps option. If I take the cash, can I assume that my bluetooth hands free connection to my iPhone will still work? I rarely, if ever, use the Apps option that I have. I don't use the google maps send to navigation. Will I still be able to read text and email messages on my nav screen if I take the cash? Any other info that you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Why not ask BMW? They should know more about it than we do....
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
Old 10-07-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Why not ask BMW? They should know more about it than we do....
I disagree. . Especially since I've done some "coding" with the Carly app and dongle.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335is, 2015 X1
I have not paid for any additional online support and I am still able to access Bluetooth, emails, etc.

BMW 335is, Cobb tune with VRSF intercooler, Injen CAI, and BMS downpipes. 382/414 rwhp/tq. Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkind62 View Post
I have not paid for any additional online support and I am still able to access Bluetooth, emails, etc.
Thanks, but your 2015 is still covered under the factory warranty which I believe includes assistance for 4 years.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:38 PM
Registered Boozer

Quote:
I do not plan to re-up the safety assist feature when it expires in January, 2018. Also, I have done some coding with the Carly OBD2 system. Do you think that will be a problem if I were to choose the retrofit? I can always re-code since I own the dongle and app.
Not sure if the Carly app will support the coding of the newer module.

From what I've read, BMW is moving away from the older analog based cellular service and moving to a digital service. Would be interesting to see what options could be coded to the newer digital module and if that module would support a digital phone via center console cradle (if your car came equipped with one).
Old 10-07-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Not sure if the Carly app will support the coding of the newer module.

From what I've read, BMW is moving away from the older analog based cellular service and moving to a digital service. Would be interesting to see what options could be coded to the newer digital module and if that module would support a digital phone via center console cradle (if your car came equipped with one).
Thanks for your input. I do have the center console phone input, but use Bluetooth for my iPhone instead. I even have the ability to use Bluetooth for iTunes music on my phone, although I don't use it since I have a 30gb micro USB plugged into my center console. In addition, I coded my CIC module to get rid of that annoying "click to proceed" warning. I don't want to lose any coding, or future coding ability, or the Bluetooth connectivity.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi Sedan, Sport
Quote:
I have a 30gb micro USB plugged into my center console.
Great idea! 30GB is a lot of music! Want to try that in my '09 335xi.
I take it you need to use the micro USB so as to be able to close the console arm rest?

I read that iDrive treats the usb device as a single album. Do you have any problems with that?
Old 10-07-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdocument View Post
Great idea! 30GB is a lot of music! Want to try that in my '09 335xi.
I take it you need to use the micro USB so as to be able to close the console arm rest?

I read that iDrive treats the usb device as a single album. Do you have any problems with that?
I'm only using about 10 gig of it. I'm not sure what you mean by a single album. I have seven playlists that work well, and I can choose one using iDrive options. I used the syncios program to put iTunes music and playlists on it. The album pictures show up on the car's screen too.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335is, 2015 X1
Quote:
Thanks, but your 2015 is still covered under the factory warranty which I believe includes assistance for 4 years.
My car is a 2011. The 2015 is my wife's X1.

BMW 335is, Cobb tune with VRSF intercooler, Injen CAI, and BMS downpipes. 382/414 rwhp/tq. Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I have seven playlists that work well, and I can choose one using iDrive options. I used the syncios program to put iTunes music and playlists on it. The album pictures show up on the car's screen too.
Great! Thanks! Found the Syncios web site. Got any tips or links to specifics of how to copy onto the USB flash? I would prefer to do it from my Mac but have a Windows laptop as well (not with iTunes but for formatting the flash drive).
Old 10-07-2016, 03:32 PM
Registered Boozer

Question about the USB drive; When I insert a CD and select the option to store the CD in the vehicle, is there an additional option to store the CD music to the USB drive when that drive is detected?
Old 10-07-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Great! Thanks! Found the Syncios web site. Got any tips or links to specifics of how to copy onto the USB flash? I would prefer to do it from my Mac but have a Windows laptop as well (not with iTunes but for formatting the flash drive).
If I remember correctly, I used a windows laptop to copy to a folder on my drive, then to the USB drive.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
If I remember correctly, I used a windows laptop to copy to a folder on my drive, then to the USB drive.
Thanks. As I understand it, the iDrive system gets confused by the invisible files created by Mac, so it's best to format as FAT32 on Windows.

Are your separate playlists merely separate folders on the USB containing the various audio files in in an appropriate format?
Old 10-07-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Question about the USB drive; When I insert a CD and select the option to store the CD in the vehicle, is there an additional option to store the CD music to the USB drive when that drive is detected?
No. I don't use the hard drive in the car. I forget why. I think that it didn't allow playlists, or random play per playlist, or something like that. I put the music onto the USB drive on my laptop, then inserted it into the car.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks. As I understand it, the iDrive system gets confused by the invisible files created by Mac, so it's best to format as FAT32 on Windows.

Are your separate playlists merely separate folders on the USB containing the various audio files in in an appropriate format?
I believe that songs that are in more than one playlist are duplicated on the USB drive. That's how the syncios program works - if I remember correctly. Since I'm using an inexpensive 30gb nano USB drive, wasted space due to duplication isn't an issue. The drive syncs very quickly now. It took a while for the car to recognize all of the songs the first time it was inserted.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:39 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: E30, E36, F80
Hey guys!
So we've been following this fairly closely...I urge you all to visit this site and follow the prompts.
Let me know if you have any questions!
Old 10-07-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred@AllGermanAuto View Post
Hey guys!
So we've been following this fairly closely...I urge you all to visit this site and follow the prompts.
Let me know if you have any questions!
Fred,
I got the email from BMW and went to the site earlier today. I left the site without making a decision, because I'm not aware of the consequences if I take the cash rather than the update. What will and what won't work without the update? If it's just the assistance type of thing, like GM's Onstar, I don't need it.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:

I must correct what I told you about the program I used to create a USB to play music in the BMW. It is not syncios. The Windows program that I used is iSyncer. It's free. You must have iTunes installed in order to use it. There is another program named iSyncr. That's not the correct one.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I must correct what I told you about the program I used to create a USB to play music in the BMW. It is not syncios. The Windows program that I used is iSyncer. It's free. You must have iTunes installed in order to use it. There is another program named iSyncr. That's not the correct one.
Thanks! I am overly cautious about using Windoze. I have the Win laptop because one program I need for my work is Windows-only, and that is the only app I run on that machine. And nothing which connects to the internet.

I think I'll give Syncios a look-see, here. Nothing urgent anyway. And I have lots of music files in the proper format on my Mac which I can copy to a USB flash drive (formatted on and mounted on the laptop) over the network. (When I get some free time, that is.)
Old 10-08-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I am overly cautious about using Windoze. I have the Win laptop because one program I need for my work is Windows-only, and that is the only app I run on that machine. And nothing which connects to the internet.

I think I'll give Syncios a look-see, here. Nothing urgent anyway. And I have lots of music files in the proper format on my Mac which I can copy to a USB flash drive (formatted on and mounted on the laptop) over the network. (When I get some free time, that is.)
iSyncer is available for Mac - http://download.cnet.com/iSyncer/300...-76476510.html

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search