Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series

7 Series / 8 Series
The BMW 7 series and 8 Series Forum

Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Bored Worker

Mein Auto: 540i/6 4/99
Frustrating dealer visit today....

So I decided to continue the immaculate service history with my new to me 740i, and took it to the dealer to have the scheduled oil service done 7500 miles early in order to start my relationship with my car on a good foot..

I did my own pre-inspection and went the car over with a fine tooth comb prior to purchase per the e38.org buyers guide.. I did notice a few small things but overall my car is in remarkable shape. ANYHOO..

Took it in for the oil change today and they called me shortly afterward to give me a laundry list of items that made me sound like an irresponsible owner... Especially when I declined some of the services..

First and foremost- when they went to change the oil they noticed a slight oil seep from the pan (no drips, but it is a little moist) they also noted that my oil pan bolt was "odd" according to the service manager it is a hand tightened plug with a locking rod through it. He then informed me that If i were to give them permission to remove it that if they couldnt get it back in that I would have to pay for a new pan and plug and gasket to the tune of $590 plus tax..

He also noticed a small amount of seepage from the PS line (suction hose) and wanted to replace that at $299 plus tax

Then he claimed that my michelin tires are spent (with about 1/2 inch of tread left of 80,000mile tires and offered me a $1095 plus tax solution..

I did opt to pay for the replacement oil filter mount at $76 installed..

The car is 13 years old, and by george it is in great shape.. I feel that they were a little picky and did not make me feel confident that they werent going to just "claim" the bolt wouldnt go back in so they could charge $600 for that service..

I went in feeling good about the car, and trying to be nice to it, and left with the service manager telling me to "be careful on my bald tires because it took 3 guys to push him out of the parking spot... Funny, I made the 35 mile trip in the snow just fine.....
1992 BMW K75s Cafe build
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2010, 04:36 PM
E38 E91 (R56 E30 E39)

Mein Auto: The E38
A dealer service department should give you a list of things that may need attention. It is also not surprising that they would express a concern about a non OEM part in the oil pan. But, they shouldn't pressure you or make you feel bad... that's a whole different issue!

I like to DIY my oil changes, it gives me an excuse to crawl under the car and monitor leaks as they develop.

Passed on to new families:
E30 1987 325i Royal Blue
E39 2003 540i/6 Sterling Gray
R56 2010 Mini Cooper S British Racing Green

Old 02-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Bored Worker

Mein Auto: 540i/6 4/99
Yeah, I know they always try to push services, and should. but on the phone he was calling them "leaks" and "damage to the oil pan" but in reality it was some mild moistness on a hose, and a non OEM oil pan bolt.... not damage to the pan..

I usually do my own services, I guess I had forgotten how much the dealer picks the car apart.
1992 BMW K75s Cafe build