Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
What about just using the SD mode when reliable acceleration is required. Unlike using the MT mode, the SD is easy even for those of us who haven't driven an actual MT in years.

I don't think anyone uses the MT mode much but I wonder if it is worth getting used to. From what I understand, the MT mode does not hold gears if the car thinks you are doing something wrong it will shift for you or not let you shift into a particular gear. For someone who wants to experience something other than get in and drive, the X3 is for you! I'm calling this car....challenging for drivers...fun.

When not in SD mode, this is an intermittent problem:

- Come to a complete stop.
- Take foot off brake, roll a little to get into position for an unprotected left turn or a merge into traffic
- Acceleration hesitation

It isn't just a rolling stop, I think it is the rolling start that also causes intermittent hesitation. In either case, being in M1 or SD mode should prevent the problem 100% of the time...I hope. This doesn't help when driving along and the accelerator simply does nothing. That is just odd.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: X3
final update

1000+ miles...finally removed and returned the sprint booster today. It did improve the highway driving but accentuated the jerky local driving gear change issues . Glad I tried it otherwise I would have always wondered if it could have helped.

on to the next fix for the tranny! which will be a change of vehicle
Old 02-15-2010, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
I have my ear to the ground waiting for the 2010 sw update.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:36 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3lemon View Post
1000+ miles...finally removed and returned the sprint booster today. It did improve the highway driving but accentuated the jerky local driving gear change issues . Glad I tried it otherwise I would have always wondered if it could have helped.

on to the next fix for the tranny! which will be a change of vehicle
I think next time I have to teach my wife how to drive a stick!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
I have my ear to the ground waiting for the 2010 sw update.
Don't hold your breath. It seems that those that had the latest updates cured most of their woes.

If your tranny is still got a mind of its own a software update wont fix it. Hence why I repeatedly mention I think it is a combination of mechnical design tolerances and software. Not one of the other. The software only helps fine tune or tweek out or add to the problem.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Sorry to resurrect an old thread....has anybody used this on a MT equipped BMW? I notice my car sometimes feels non-linear at partial throttle, almost like the computer is questioning whether I want to accelerate, and taking a half second or so before it says "YES!" and then does what it needs to do. Full throttle isn't an issue, only at partial throttle does it feel like a bit of hesitation.