Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-03-2010, 04:05 AM

Mein Auto: Ferrari
Audio upgrade

Has any one upgraded there stereo. I was wondering about subwooferinstallation and has anyone had any experience with bavarian sound werks company? They sell after market high quality speakers, that fit into factory locations
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 14 X1 xdrive28i
I have been trying to get info on upgrading the stock system in my car as well but haven't had much success. I would like to swap out the amp if possible. The volume on the stock radio sucks. I should have upgraded but I have had several bimmers in the past and the stock radios were always more than enough.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: Wash DC
If the vehicle is still under warranty, I will not do that. The fiber cables that connect audio systems also carry signals for other components. Replacing amp or speakers might give BMW good excuse to void warranty for the components connected through the same fiber cables.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: X5
I have had my X5 for a week adn by far the Radio is the most disapointing thing with the car. Can BMW upgrade it for you? And yes, i assume everything with BMW is expensive
Old 02-03-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkatz99 View Post
I have had my X5 for a week adn by far the Radio is the most disapointing thing with the car. Can BMW upgrade it for you? And yes, i assume everything with BMW is expensive
I have had mine for 3 months and I agree 100%.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
Amplified Bass Tubes Subwoofers A Bazooka subwoofer adds the bass, clarity and realism your system is missing with absolutely no modifications to your car, its warranty, or its original audio system. If you are leasing your car, there is no better way to upgrade your stereo system than by adding a Bazooka subwoofer

Interesting Gimmick:

http://www.bazooka.com/products/mobi...Subwoofer-P151

My pick:

http://www.bazooka.com/products/mobi...ified-Tube-P41

Last edited by XXX555; 02-03-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5d, 2009 128 Conv.
I have also been researching upgrading the 2010 X5d speaker system. Currently bavarian sound werks does not have an upgrade for non-premium sound systems. I currently am regretting purchasing my 5th BMW. Based on my experience with BMWNA this will probably be my last BMW. Bottom line is my 2008 X5 had an over 8 speaker base sound system which sounded find. The 2010 only has 4 speakers and truly sucks. Yes I said only four speakers. Problem is BMW eliminated the wiring for the additional speakers which makes adding the missing speakers more of a challenge. Even my 1 series with a base audio system has double the speakers of my 2010 X5d. If anyone from BMWNA is monitoring these page think about this. Marketing 101, over paying for something cheap leaves a lasting memory and a bad taste in ones mouth that they will be more than happy to pass on to their friends a family. Yes I am saying the BMW audio is system in X5 is a cheap piece of crap.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 228i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJKBerg View Post
I have also been researching upgrading the 2010 X5d speaker system. Currently bavarian sound werks does not have an upgrade for non-premium sound systems. I currently am regretting purchasing my 5th BMW. Based on my experience with BMWNA this will probably be my last BMW. Bottom line is my 2008 X5 had an over 8 speaker base sound system which sounded find. The 2010 only has 4 speakers and truly sucks. Yes I said only four speakers. Problem is BMW eliminated the wiring for the additional speakers which makes adding the missing speakers more of a challenge. Even my 1 series with a base audio system has double the speakers of my 2010 X5d. If anyone from BMWNA is monitoring these page think about this. Marketing 101, over paying for something cheap leaves a lasting memory and a bad taste in ones mouth that they will be more than happy to pass on to their friends a family. Yes I am saying the BMW audio is system in X5 is a cheap piece of crap.
I don't know what you are talking about. I just talked to BSW the other day and got quoted $420 for the stage 1 upgrade. I also have the standard audio system. And another thing, I have 8 speakers, 2 per door, plus the subs under the seats.

I have a 2010.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d, 997.2 S 09
New to the forum. Just picked up a new 2010 Diesel X5 2 weeks ago.

My car has a lot of options, but sadly no premium sound. I am very disappointed in the sound. After further investigation I noticed that there seems to be the following speaker configuration:

1 speaker in each of the 4 doors and small sub under a cover in front of each of the 2 front seats.

Total of 6 speakers! I cannot believe this! I used a flashlight to look into the tweeter enclosures to find no speakers inside.

So... I called BMW in NJ to ask what the car was supposed to come with and no one could give me a straight answer. I thought that if you didn't have "premium sound" there would be a total of 10 speakers, not 6!. How cheap can BMW be to leave the tweeters out of doors. They probably cost them less than 10 bucks for the two.

So what to do now is the question? Suggestions?

I was thinking about ordering the 2 tweeters from BMW which I think should improve the sound some. I wonder if the wiring harness in the doors will have the connectors to plug in the tweeters.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
When I did my last set of test drives, I drove two cars for a lengthy amount of time. I couldn't get the sound system to sound good no matter what I did in the first car. I was messing with everything. The second one sounded good right off the bat, no adjustment required. I checked and everything was at default. When I was done driving, I checked the sticker to see if it had premium sound and it didn't. I just figured that there was something wrong with the sound system in the first car and didn't worry about it.

It was about three weeks ago or so, but I think I drove a 35d first, then a 30+MSport, but I'm not 100% certain (I was comparing non-adaptive drive to +adaptive). Is it possible that the base sound system is different in the 35d than in the gas models??

If the stereo doesn't sound good in my new car, my CA is going to get a rude surprise, because I'm not taking it (it just went to the paint booth today, so that could be a bummer). I've gone from my stereo costing more than the car, until almost 30 years later, now its just a teeny-tiny fraction. To me, my car is a stereo on wheels. Ok, now its a fun to drive BMW stereo on wheels, but still a stereo on wheels.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:12 PM

There is a forum dedicated to BSW on this site, lots of good info about upgrading the audio.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjnockie View Post
New to the forum. Just picked up a new 2010 Diesel X5 2 weeks ago.

My car has a lot of options, but sadly no premium sound. I am very disappointed in the sound. After further investigation I noticed that there seems to be the following speaker configuration:

1 speaker in each of the 4 doors and small sub under a cover in front of each of the 2 front seats.

Total of 6 speakers! I cannot believe this! I used a flashlight to look into the tweeter enclosures to find no speakers inside.

So... I called BMW in NJ to ask what the car was supposed to come with and no one could give me a straight answer. I thought that if you didn't have "premium sound" there would be a total of 10 speakers, not 6!. How cheap can BMW be to leave the tweeters out of doors. They probably cost them less than 10 bucks for the two.

So what to do now is the question? Suggestions?

I was thinking about ordering the 2 tweeters from BMW which I think should improve the sound some. I wonder if the wiring harness in the doors will have the connectors to plug in the tweeters.

Any help would be appreciated.
I emailed bavariansoundwerks the other day and although they don't have an upgrade for the base system there is hope. They currently have a solution in production and it should be available within the next few months.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: E46 330i ZHP
I have ordered the Stage I upgrade for my 2009 X5d and am told it will be ready May 30. I did not order premium audio in my vehicle - BSW tells me I have the "hifi" stereo version (as opposed to Logic 7, etc, etc) which ended with 2009, and stock audio changed with 2010. They were very friendly and helpful. Not to dispute Jamze132 above, but BSW claims that starting with MY 2010 X5 the stock system is only 4 speakers (+sub) with a lower power amp, which may explain some people's unhappiness with the system (and in part how they have managed to reduce the cost?). Even with my "hifi" stereo, I still find it lacking at times and have been guaranteed the Stage I will make a significant difference with plug and play ease of install/removal. I was also quoted $420 for the pre-order ($589 regular price after release May 30). I've been told I may cancel if the release date is delayed or conditions change, etc. FWIW-

2004 6MT IR 330i ZHP / alcantara w silver cube trim / split seat / xenons / moonroof / alarm / Bluetooth / UGDO / Huper Optik 35 / Aux audio / racing pedals / Euro FAK

2009 X5d TiAg/Premium/Sport w/Adaptive/ZCW/Active Seats/Running Boards/ 214 wheels+arches
ROLA rack/ACS pedals - RETIRED

2004 6MT TiAg 330i ZHP/ZCW/alcantara w silver cube trim / xenons/moonroof/alarm/Bluetooth/UGDO
Llumar Platinum 35/Aux audio/Zeckhausen CDV / Rogue clutch stop/racing pedals/Euro FAKs/Euro plate - RETIRED
Old 04-13-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeguy View Post
I have ordered the Stage I upgrade for my 2009 X5d and am told it will be ready May 30. I did not order premium audio in my vehicle - BSW tells me I have the "hifi" stereo version (as opposed to Logic 7, etc, etc) which ended with 2009, and stock audio changed with 2010. They were very friendly and helpful. Not to dispute Jamze132 above, but BSW claims that starting with MY 2010 X5 the stock system is only 4 speakers (+sub) with a lower power amp, which may explain some people's unhappiness with the system (and in part how they have managed to reduce the cost?). Even with my "hifi" stereo, I still find it lacking at times and have been guaranteed the Stage I will make a significant difference with plug and play ease of install/removal. I was also quoted $420 for the pre-order ($589 regular price after release May 30). I've been told I may cancel if the release date is delayed or conditions change, etc. FWIW-
Well... after a lengthy discussion with the shop foreman at my local dealership who spent much time almost dissecting a standard 2010 x5 like mine today to confirm for me exactly what was in a 2010.

Here is his analysis.

The 2010 with a standard radio has a total of 8 speakers. One per door, 1 sub for each front seat and a midrange plus tweeter in the center of the dash. The 2 speakers mounted in the dash do work in conjunction with the rest of the speakers when listening to the system. The shop foreman also told me that I was basically out of luck in regard to installing the tweeters in the upper part of front door enclosures because the wiring harness in the 2010's does not have the connectors in wiring harness anymore.

To sum it up, it seems like we are all SOL when it comes to modifying the factory sound system in the 2010's.

Thank you BMW!

Glad you were able to save a few bucks per car at the expense of your loyal customers.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Well... after a lengthy discussion with the shop foreman at my local dealership who spent much time almost dissecting a standard 2010 x5 like mine today to confirm for me exactly what was in a 2010.

Here is his analysis.

The 2010 with a standard radio has a total of 8 speakers. One per door, 1 sub for each front seat and a midrange plus tweeter in the center of the dash. The 2 speakers mounted in the dash do work in conjunction with the rest of the speakers when listening to the system. The shop foreman also told me that I was basically out of luck in regard to installing the tweeters in the upper part of front door enclosures because the wiring harness in the 2010's does not have the connectors in wiring harness anymore.

To sum it up, it seems like we are all SOL when it comes to modifying the factory sound system in the 2010's.

Thank you BMW!

Glad you were able to save a few bucks per car at the expense of your loyal customers.
You are not SOL. Any car audio store who is competent can install a small tweeter in the pillar where the grill is. If BSW is only selling basically 4 speakers for $420 plus shipping, I'll pass. They couldn't even tell me what kind of speakers would be arriving 31 May nor the specs on them.

And I don't know what to tell you guys but I have a 4" mid range in each door and a little tweeter in the pillars. I do not have the premium audio. Maybe someone made a mistake.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: '10 X5 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamze132 View Post
You are not SOL. Any car audio store who is competent can install a small tweeter in the pillar where the grill is. If BSW is only selling basically 4 speakers for $420 plus shipping, I'll pass. They couldn't even tell me what kind of speakers would be arriving 31 May nor the specs on them.

And I don't know what to tell you guys but I have a 4" mid range in each door and a little tweeter in the pillars. I do not have the premium audio. Maybe someone made a mistake.
Maybe I missed it, but did you decide on an upgrade? I also have the '10 standard system. This is my 4th BMW, and I'm VERY disappointed in this system. For this price, we all should have great sounding stereos. I'd really like to upgrade.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablue View Post
Maybe I missed it, but did you decide on an upgrade? I also have the '10 standard system. This is my 4th BMW, and I'm VERY disappointed in this system. For this price, we all should have great sounding stereos. I'd really like to upgrade.
I haven't upgraded anything yet. I picked up my X5, had it for a week and had to head back to Afghanistan for a few months. But when I put my ear up to each speaker, you can hear sound coming out, even the tweeters in the pillars.

For all, even if you can't find a small tweeter to fit in the pillar, (I think 25mm will fit) you can get a decent 3-way 4" midrange for the door. And the grill on the dash shouldn't be to hard to remove, I'm sure you can put a speaker in there too for more highs. I already have an 350w mono amp and a JL W1 waiting for me to get back. I am also looking at the JL 4" 3-way for the doors. Lot cheaper than BSW.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:

Here is his analysis.

Thank you BMW!

It is almost laughable to ask a BMW dealer about audio upgrades.

Likewise to think BMW considers the "loyalty" of customers and the ability to upgrade a car's audio system.

Their position is "If good sound is important BUY A CAR WITH THE PREMIUM AUDIO".

Why would people pass up the option, then complain?

Finally, just modify it with aftermarket parts- and be prepared to deal with warranty non-coverage...if audio is so important.

Oh, I find it hard to believe that there are different harnesses for the car based on the audio option- not sure I'd trust the word of a BMW employee who likely doesn't want to deal with you- he recognizes that after an exhaustive effort to tell you all the parts you would need to duplicate a premium install, he will say "BMW wants $1600 for the parts and it will be 6 hours at $120 an hour" you will say get lost. So easier to say "sorry, can't be done"

But then again I may be wrong....
Old 04-14-2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:

What is the build date for your car? It's a 2010 right? Mine was built about 3 weeks ago.

I could buy the tweeters for the door pillar enclosures from BMW for about 80 bucks a piece...but according to the shop foreman at the dealership they couldn't be wired correctly so they would work with the sound system. How would the crossover work etc.

I just don't understand why BMW would install the door pillar enclosures in the car and not put any speakers in them?

One other possibility is that the connectors do exist in the wiring harness and the shop foreman is wrong. The only way to tell is for me to remove one of the door panels and check it out.

I agree with you about the BSW upgrade. Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
It is almost laughable to ask a BMW dealer about audio upgrades.

Likewise to think BMW considers the "loyalty" of customers and the ability to upgrade a car's audio system.

Their position is "If good sound is important BUY A CAR WITH THE PREMIUM AUDIO".

Why would people pass up the option, then complain?

Finally, just modify it with aftermarket parts- and be prepared to deal with warranty non-coverage...if audio is so important.

Oh, I find it hard to believe that there are different harnesses for the car based on the audio option- not sure I'd trust the word of a BMW employee who likely doesn't want to deal with you- he recognizes that after an exhaustive effort to tell you all the parts you would need to duplicate a premium install, he will say "BMW wants $1600 for the parts and it will be 6 hours at $120 an hour" you will say get lost. So easier to say "sorry, can't be done"

But then again I may be wrong....
You make some very valid points!

Maybe the dealers guy is full of crap and just wanted to get rid of me.

Maybe the wiring does exist. I am going to pursue the whole matter with BMW NA and let you guys know what the outcome is.

In my situation I would have absolutely paid for the premium sound system in the car. Who in the right mind wants to go through this.

The problem is that I could not find a car with that option. Very few are ordered by the dealers that way for stock and I don't like ordering cars.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:35 AM
back to bimmer

Mein Auto: car
The $1600+ premium audio package includes upgrade to DSP, 16 speakers, 2 subs and 9 channel 600 watt amp, along with a 6 disc dvd changer. For $1600, would an aftermarket upgrade provide a better value/sound over the premium package?

Last edited by jdibber; 04-14-2010 at 04:39 AM. Reason: reword question
Old 04-14-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
What is the build date for your car? It's a 2010 right? Mine was built about 3 weeks ago.

I could buy the tweeters for the door pillar enclosures from BMW for about 80 bucks a piece...but according to the shop foreman at the dealership they couldn't be wired correctly so they would work with the sound system. How would the crossover work etc.

I just don't understand why BMW would install the door pillar enclosures in the car and not put any speakers in them?

One other possibility is that the connectors do exist in the wiring harness and the shop foreman is wrong. The only way to tell is for me to remove one of the door panels and check it out.

I agree with you about the BSW upgrade. Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.
My X5 was finished 9 Dec. Who cares about what BMW says about the wiring and whatnot. Its a bunch of BS. You can run te wires yourself, its not that hard. If you go to youtube, BSW has a bunch of videos on how to take apart the panels and change the speakers. Worst case scenario, you just have a car audi store do the work. It will cost a little more but they will stand behind their work.

Crossovers come with component speakers, usually its a midrange and tweeter. The crossover sends the proper signal to the appropriate speaker and they do sound better when set up properly. But if you don't want to pay for components and don't want to pay for someone to install everything pro., just get a decent 3-way speaker to replace the stock. It will make a huge difference.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:18 AM
Drive like you mean it.

Mein Auto: Mercedes S550, 633csi
You all scared me so much I just emailed my CA with an 'urgent' email requesting an upgrade to 'premium sound' as my car has not gone into production yet.
(my daughter also talked me into the 3rd row seat for all her friends...not so sure about that, but since I didn't get her the crappy rear entertainment with one cheap, folding screen, I aquiesced).

I like the idea of an aftermarket upgrade, except for the thought of my door panels and other pieces coming out, and having new components that aren't covered by warranty. I hope they get make the change for me, and that it sounds good enough. I am not an audiophile, but nice sound is always appreciated...
1984 BMW 633csi 'big coupe', silver/tan, fun third car.
1990 Ferrari Testarossa, black/tan, Borla exhaust, no cats. Awesome.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
Quote:
Jamze132, you have MSport and perhaps they put a slightly different audio system with the MSport package. When I drove the two cars and one sounded crappy and the other didn't, the crappy one was sans-MSport and the good one had MSport.

That would be so odd if they did such a thing.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja View Post
Jamze132, you have MSport and perhaps they put a slightly different audio system with the MSport package. When I drove the two cars and one sounded crappy and the other didn't, the crappy one was sans-MSport and the good one had MSport.

That would be so odd if they did such a thing.
I don't think the M sport has anything to do with it honestly. Someone may have made a mistake. Either way, the speakers are getting ugraded to my standards when I get back from Afghanistan.