Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 02-04-2010, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 91 bmw 525i
how to remove center console by gear shift

91 525i automatic tranny. I would like to know how to remove center console by the gear shifter. Could anyone help?
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2010, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: '94 540i
I just pulled out my heater core in a 94 540i and had to do this. Bentley manual does fairly good job explaining all this.

First pop out ashtray from back seat. Inside you will see two in bracket holding rear console down. Next loosen screw in cassette tape box in center console (mine had a small plastic cover on it). Pull up E-brake pop out dust boot around it (it just snaps out). I think there are two screws in here that need to come out then. Next pop out window and emergency light buttons and unplug wires. Remove shifter (my auto had one screw on handle that came out). You may need to pop out gear shift indicator to unplug the A/M button (not really sure what this does).

I think that is everything. If not you should be able to figure out where any other screws are bolts are at this time just by feeling where resistance is.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: '94 540i
oh yeah. you gotta put car in drive position to get it out too
Old 02-05-2010, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 91 bmw 525i
thank you. I'll try.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, PORSCHE, LOTUS
This is for removing the wood veneer cover that sits in the console. Get a suction cup like those found on a gps unit that are used to attach it to the window. Attach it to the front of the console and give it a yank. The front should come up and you should be able to slide it forward to unclip the back.