Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 10-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to NickD
Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 328i 5speed
Passenger window cracking sound

The other day I had all my windows down and sunroof open doing some spirited driving down some twisty backroads. When I got back onto the main road I went to roll my windows back up. After driving for a minute I noticed my passenger window didn't go up. I hit the button again and heard a loud cracking noise. I immedietly stopped touching it. I then headed back to my friend's house, whome I was driving with and I tried again and the window went all the way up but made cracking sounds a few times on it's travel up. I needed to get it back up due to rain that was suppose to come early the next morning.

Anyway, the next day my g/f is waiting for me in the car and she rolls the window down not knowing about my previous problems. The window went right down and came right backup without issue. Any idea what this is? Perhaps I somehow knocked the window out of it's track when it was down and I was tossing the car around? I have a 99' sedan.
Ads by Google
Old 10-13-2003, 09:10 PM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 535ix, GL450, 991S, NSX
Sounds like a window regulator ... they make those strange crackling noises and it use to be a common problem

Do a search on roadfly under 'window regulator' you should come up with a lot of posts

You might not find that many here since this board became active in late 2001 and that problem was posted more often in 99 and 2000

You can also search fanatics ...

good luck
Old 10-13-2003, 09:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to NickD
Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 328i 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF330i
Sounds like a window regulator ... they make those strange crackling noises and it use to be a common problem

Do a search on roadfly under 'window regulator' you should come up with a lot of posts

You might not find that many here since this board became active in late 2001 and that problem was posted more often in 99 and 2000

You can also search fanatics ...

good luck
Hmm... This is what I was told verbally by another BMW owner. Are new window regulators expensive? I am wondering if I should buy one ahead of time so when it fails I am not stuck with a window in the down position. I haven't searched the other forums as you have suggested yet, I will do so shortly. Thanks for the info
Old 10-13-2003, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i/6sp
Window regulator for E39 rear door is $107 at Pacific BMW. I would guess the front for most BMWs is similar price.

Steve D