Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 02-05-2010, 05:15 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: '08 750i
Persuade me to come back!!

So after driving BMW's for nearly 17 years straight, from the 3 to about 14 5-series variations, to 2 750i's, I needed a change. Always loved 'em, was just a bit bored. Bought me a 2009 Maserati Quattroporte. Beautiful car, high-end quality, of course excellent performance but a but quirky too. Technology is horrific, if at all. Having some issues with dealer that are serious enough that I'm about ready to just dump her.

Looking to come back to either a 750i, possibly the new 550GT (most recent Beemer was a '08 550i M-Sport loaded), or I'm even considering (just considering) the Panamera.

For those who have had past 7's, how does the F01 compare? I'm seeing mixed emotions here on the 'Fest, aside from vibration issues. I'll say one thing though, in the BMW showroom last week, sat in the 750 comfort seats, and holy ****, SOOOOOO much more comfortable than the Maserati's. You just meld into the seat. I have a little time if needed, or can act quickly, but do I consider the 2010 at a decent deal, or full pop for the '11's and are they worth the changes?

For what it's worth, I've had my very fair share of problems with my Bimmer's and they always seem to spend more time in the shop than I'd like, but when it came to my 2 7's, other than a minor something here and there, not one single issue, just a great, all around awesome car.

Thanks for your input!

'10 Porsche Panamera S
'09 Maserati Quattroporte S
'08 550i Carbon Black/Natural Brown/Anthracite, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort access, Sport transmission, rear shades, NAV, Sirius, L7, Ipod/USB, PDC, Heated Front Seats.
'08 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'06 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'07 550i Sapphire Black/Black
'05 545i Silver Grey/Black

Last edited by wassy; 02-05-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Y ask y? Ask y not!

Mein Auto: F02
I have had an E39 (most beautiful 7 series ever in terms of design), an E66 (loved the iDrive and the crazy design - despite the bangle but jokes Lexus, Mercedes and other luxury cars took their design cue from the bangle butt), an F02 (most technological advanced vehicle on the road currently) which i sold and then got another F02 with ACC, and IAS.

The F02 is the best 7 series i've ever had the pleasure of driving. I can go on and on and on all day about why you should get F01/02 but as you can see bcool and other OPs are some of the very few people having issues with their car. The rest of us (majority) are enjoying the car very well.

I recommend you test drive any of the cars that you're thinking about buying atleast twice and then compare. The Panamera is a great car but if you feel like driving a stretch Porche 911 then that's your car. The Mercedes S-Class is a very luxurious and very comfortable car but lack some sportiness. The F02 gives you the best of both worlds; luxurious, comfort, and sportiness.

When you're done with all the test drives, try and test drive the RR Phantom and the Ghost, now go back and drive the F02 and see if you notice something; both cars have similar technology as the F02 but the F02 is twice cheaper. Just my personal observation.

Good luck and hope to see you in F02 soon
2009 750Li Mineral White - Sold
2009 750Li Titanium Silver
2011 xDrive35d Vermilion Red - Sold
2012 xDrive35d Vermilion Red
Old 02-06-2010, 02:13 AM

Mein Auto: 750i from 4/1 before S500
When the Quattroporte was shown I immediately fell in love. I can absolutely understand that you bought it. So beautiful, Italian sports engine, ... I almost bought it, too.

Then I had the chance to drive it a few days. I had a Mercedes S420 CDI (2008 model diesel!) at that time. First I heard this sports car sound, touch the leather, all very nice. But after a day I have seen that it's not really a sports car. The acceleration is not that much better than my diesel (0-60 mph < 1sec difference). It is louder, less comfortable poorly integrated entertainment and navigation systems. So I went back to my diesel and was really happy that I have tested it before buying.

Now I have a S500 (2009), I think in US it is a S550, this one is almost perfect. But I had forgotten to order the ABC chassis. The car is too soft for me without it. So if you buy a S-Class Mercedes. Don't forget it!

To have something different I have now ordered a F01 750i without xDrive. I have tested them both and have decided to go for the Integral Active Steering which is not available for the xDrive. And I think in Florida you will not have that much snow

I also had the chance to test the Panamera. It is a very nice car. Not as beautiful as the Quattroporte but it offers what you would expect from a sports sedan combined with perfect quality. I did not chose it because here it is about 40% more expensive in leasing (from a tax perspective the best way to drive a company car in Germany) than a comparable BMW 750i. Except the fact that my 750i will have a limited top speed (156 mph) it has the same performance. But top speed is most probably not the most important criterion in US.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy View Post
So after driving BMW's for nearly 17 years straight, from the 3 to about 14 5-series variations, to 2 750i's, I needed a change. Always loved 'em, was just a bit bored. Bought me a 2009 Maserati Quattroporte. Beautiful car, high-end quality, of course excellent performance but a but quirky too. Technology is horrific, if at all. Having some issues with dealer that are serious enough that I'm about ready to just dump her.

Looking to come back to either a 750i, possibly the new 550GT (most recent Beemer was a '08 550i M-Sport loaded), or I'm even considering (just considering) the Panamera.

For those who have had past 7's, how does the F01 compare? I'm seeing mixed emotions here on the 'Fest, aside from vibration issues. I'll say one thing though, in the BMW showroom last week, sat in the 750 comfort seats, and holy ****, SOOOOOO much more comfortable than the Maserati's. You just meld into the seat. I have a little time if needed, or can act quickly, but do I consider the 2010 at a decent deal, or full pop for the '11's and are they worth the changes?

For what it's worth, I've had my very fair share of problems with my Bimmer's and they always seem to spend more time in the shop than I'd like, but when it came to my 2 7's, other than a minor something here and there, not one single issue, just a great, all around awesome car.

Thanks for your input!
How about getting one of those new B7s? They look stunning and are a bit more sporting than the 750.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Y ask y? Ask y not!

Mein Auto: F02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
How about getting one of those new B7s? They look stunning and are a bit more sporting than the 750.
+1 with a caveat. Test drive it first. It maybe too sporty (due to the lowered and sports tuned-suspension) and not smooth/comfortable as the 750.
2009 750Li Mineral White - Sold
2009 750Li Titanium Silver
2011 xDrive35d Vermilion Red - Sold
2012 xDrive35d Vermilion Red
Old 02-08-2010, 09:06 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: '08 750i
drove the 550iGT Saturday... not impressed. I hate to say that because I have yet to find a BMW that doesn't. Couple things of note. Frameless windows. Makes the car creak way to much. very harsh over speed bumps.. not typical for a Bimmer.. very hard drop on rear and front wheels even in comfort setting.

car at times seems like it had NO power, and I mean no power. could be a one off bad car, but for 400hp, and coming from a E60 550i, no comparison. Mostof this was noticed at low gears off the line.

interior is pretty, all based on the 7'er. visibility a little getting used to. this car had no premium stereo so sounded blah. Of course I can order how I want, but I'll either order a 2011 750i sport or wait for the new 550i.

'10 Porsche Panamera S
'09 Maserati Quattroporte S
'08 550i Carbon Black/Natural Brown/Anthracite, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort access, Sport transmission, rear shades, NAV, Sirius, L7, Ipod/USB, PDC, Heated Front Seats.
'08 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'06 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'07 550i Sapphire Black/Black
'05 545i Silver Grey/Black
Old 03-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 X54.8 04X54.4 00E46CiC
I think that's a great outcome. The GT is ugly and if you keep that Maserati, you will be left on the roadside, broke down. Ital design is beautiful but doesn't deliver reliably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy View Post
drove the 550iGT Saturday... not impressed. I hate to say that because I have yet to find a BMW that doesn't. Couple things of note. Frameless windows. Makes the car creak way to much. very harsh over speed bumps.. not typical for a Bimmer.. very hard drop on rear and front wheels even in comfort setting.

car at times seems like it had NO power, and I mean no power. could be a one off bad car, but for 400hp, and coming from a E60 550i, no comparison. Mostof this was noticed at low gears off the line.

interior is pretty, all based on the 7'er. visibility a little getting used to. this car had no premium stereo so sounded blah. Of course I can order how I want, but I'll either order a 2011 750i sport or wait for the new 550i.
2001 X5 4.4, Ret.