Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 09-12-2009, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: X6
7 months ownership

So I've had my X6 (6 cyl) for 7 months now. Some thoughts:

The Strengths
-Fun to drive...never thought a vehicle of this size could take corners and twists the way this one does.
-Spacious interior for 4. More on this in the opportunities.
-Distinctive and exclusive. I have seen maybe two others in my area.
-USB capability. The ability to plug in my 32 gb thumbdrive and play music is awesome...no more CD's. I do keep DVD's just in case I am in a prolonged stopping situation.
-Very stable at 80 mph. My preferred driving speed on the highway.
-Spacious boot, both above and below the floor board.
-Hauls a#* as long as you take a tenth of second to allow the wheels to grab...if not they can spin.
-Does great in the snow.
-No scratches after all this time. I think people are more careful around these types of cars. Knock on wood.

Opportunities
-This one bothers me because I have to deal with it all the time. The arm rests are too hard. It's like they stretched the leather over hard plastic. My elbows are killing me.
-Interior is not so spacious if you hauling more than two 6'0 footers.
-No Idrive comments here since it crosses the brand, but...oh never mind.
-Brake dust and wheel designs makes for a long time in getting those puppies cleaned.
-Rearview is suspect...thank goodness for the back up camera. At least during the day. At night, it isn't very good.
-Sunglass holder. Petty but I had one in my Infiniti M.
-Even with 20" wheels, the wheel wells still seems huge which screws with the profile a bit.

Good/Bad
-Huge rear wheels (good) but so wide they don't go through an automatic car wash without getting scraped (bad). Any would be buyers go for touchless on day one.
-As stated, great space in the boot (good) but if you have anything on the floor board accessing the lower level requires some muscle.
-Looks are a bit polarizing based on internet comments but what's new. Safe is generally forgetable.

Would I buy again if I was making a choice today? Yes.
Ads by Google
Old 09-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Excitmnt94 Send a message via Yahoo to Excitmnt94
Mein Auto: '09 135i coupe
good review...some good points in there.

care to share some pics of your X6?

Old 09-15-2009, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: Viper
Thanks for the review. Interesting about the arm rests. Maybe there's some means to add some padding or shearling?
3 months from my present infiniti lease end and the X6 6cyl is what I'm seriously thinking. "Exclusive" looking suv for sure.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: Infiniti M45
Guys, I just test drove x6 5.0 and fell in love with the car. I currently drive Infiniti M45 and feel that X6 5.0 is a much faster car that also handles a lot better. I thought Infiniti M45 was a great handler but X6 just hugs the corners much better. I think the interior of X6 doesn't come close to what Infiniti M has to offer but may be this is something I will be willing to give up in favor of a faster car. Any comments from those of you who also used to drive M or G? Thanks.