Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Gator Neil Gator Neil is offline
2010 X5 35d Blue/Saddle
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 118
Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
Fantastic Coding Resource in the NY/NJ/CT area

Just wanted to let everyone know of my great coding experience with David (spazticrecords on here). I met him at the Palisades Mall in Rockland County (I live in NNJ) and he did the coding right there in the parking lot. Here's what I had done:

1) Fogs on with high beams
2) Activated rain sensor for sunroof when it rains
3) Close or open the tailgate from both the remote AND the tailgate button inside
4) Roll up window safety stop coded off
5) Automatic appearance of gas stations on nav screen when fuel hits below 1/4 tank
6) Legal disclaimer on nav screen gone (yay!)
7) Enabled remote folding of mirrors, sunroof and windows from the remote
8) Enabled CIC DVD in motion (this one is very very cool and surround sound comes up with it also)
9) Enabled M3 digital speedometer in dash
10) Disabled the door gong (but sadly not the seatbelt chime)
11) Automatic door unlocking when turning the engine off.

All this took about an hour or so. I have to say, David is very service oriented and does not want you to leave unhappy with anything he's done. Also, as a bonus, he will re-code all of the above for NO CHARGE should your dealer reset everything during an update or something. And, if a new coding becomes available and you want to add it at a later date, he will also do that for free. And by the way, I found his price to be extremely reasonable. He is located in Westchester, NY but travels around the area and will meet you someplace mutually convenient. I cannot recommend him any more highly.

Feel free to message me for his contact info if you like.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 06-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Bruin72 Bruin72 is offline
Expert on nothing
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 185
Mein Auto: 2011 E70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Neil View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know of my great coding experience with David (spazticrecords on here). I met him at the Palisades Mall in Rockland County (I live in NNJ) and he did the coding right there in the parking lot. Here's what I had done:

1) Fogs on with high beams
2) Activated rain sensor for sunroof when it rains
3) Close or open the tailgate from both the remote AND the tailgate button inside
4) Roll up window safety stop coded off
5) Automatic appearance of gas stations on nav screen when fuel hits below 1/4 tank
6) Legal disclaimer on nav screen gone (yay!)
7) Enabled remote folding of mirrors, sunroof and windows from the remote
8) Enabled CIC DVD in motion (this one is very very cool and surround sound comes up with it also)
9) Enabled M3 digital speedometer in dash
10) Disabled the door gong (but sadly not the seatbelt chime)
11) Automatic door unlocking when turning the engine off.

All this took about an hour or so. I have to say, David is very service oriented and does not want you to leave unhappy with anything he's done. Also, as a bonus, he will re-code all of the above for NO CHARGE should your dealer reset everything during an update or something. And, if a new coding becomes available and you want to add it at a later date, he will also do that for free. And by the way, I found his price to be extremely reasonable. He is located in Westchester, NY but travels around the area and will meet you someplace mutually convenient. I cannot recommend him any more highly.

Feel free to message me for his contact info if you like.
Would you be willing to share how much we can expect to pay for this coding?
__________________
2014 535i xDrive (current - delivered 10/11/13)
2011 X5 xDrive35i Premium (retired)
2008 X5 (retired)
2005 X5 (retired)
2004 325xi (retired)


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Gator Neil Gator Neil is offline
2010 X5 35d Blue/Saddle
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 118
Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
yes, just send me a PM...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 PM
rattmann rattmann is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 241
Mein Auto: 2011 TURBO X5 35i
Can you code for display of the torque distribution like in X5 M and X6??????????
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-28-2011, 04:26 PM
xcusm5 xcusm5 is offline
Registered User
Location: Zoo York
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 58
Mein Auto: ///M
Sending PM now. I'm in Westchester and it would be awesome to find someone local.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-09-2012, 08:27 PM
jzenock jzenock is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 328i xdrive
gonna PM you needed to post first
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Itinj6's Avatar
Itinj6 Itinj6 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,472
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Subscribed. Waiting for my car to get here and I don't want to lose this thread.

Do you know if he can enable the M-HUD?

Great thread!!! I am in Fort Lee and play hockey at the Palisades Mall on occasion
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Hockey3081 Hockey3081 is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 48i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Subscribed. Waiting for my car to get here and I don't want to lose this thread.

Do you know if he can enable the M-HUD?

Great thread!!! I am in Fort Lee and play hockey at the Palisades Mall on occasion
Unrelated, so feel free to PM me but I'm moving to North Jersey next week. Is the hockey at the Palisades any good?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-10-2012, 04:12 AM
Kzang's Avatar
Kzang Kzang is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,735
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Cool. I'm in fort lee as well.
__________________
2013 X5 35i Premium, Space Gray, Cinnamon Brown Leather, Dark Bamboo wood trim, Conv. Pkg, CWP, Multi-contour seats, Running board, BMW App. Space saver tire.
Previous Cars
2010 535i - Deep Sea Blue w/ NBD Leather, Bamboo Anthracite WT, Sport Auto Trans w/ Paddle shifter, Sports Pkg, PP, CWP, Nav, HD Radio, Ipod.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-10-2012, 08:32 AM
m3the01 m3the01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 235
Mein Auto: '12 X5-35d AW-CI
So the sunroof closes automatically when rain is detected?

Pretty sweet, have to add that to my list.
__________________
'12 35D AW-CINN ZAP/ZC3/ZPP/ZTP/456-multicontour/2LE-20's/300-spare/220-self-leveling/4MS/752
www.playabonita.ca -- wifes bathing suit company -- pretty girls...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM
icuc's Avatar
icuc icuc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 446
Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2012 MINI ALL4
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3the01 View Post
So the sunroof closes automatically when rain is detected?

Pretty sweet, have to add that to my list.
Close sunroof works only when the rain sensor is activated.
__________________
BMW Coding in Wisconsin, Remote Coding and Coding setup, 2014 BMW On-Board Navigation System Update (CIC/NBT) - www.bmwminicoding.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-10-2012, 02:07 PM
blue dragon blue dragon is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pickering/Toronto
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 703
Mein Auto: X5 35D
You guys are paying for coding? wow!
__________________


| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-10-2012, 02:09 PM
m3the01 m3the01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 235
Mein Auto: '12 X5-35d AW-CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by icuc View Post
Close sunroof works only when the rain sensor is activated.

I understand, but think its kool if the ur driving and it senses rain and closes the sunroof. Well kinda a kool
__________________
'12 35D AW-CINN ZAP/ZC3/ZPP/ZTP/456-multicontour/2LE-20's/300-spare/220-self-leveling/4MS/752
www.playabonita.ca -- wifes bathing suit company -- pretty girls...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Itinj6's Avatar
Itinj6 Itinj6 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,472
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
You guys are paying for coding? wow!
Awesome!

Look everyone. This guy is willing to do it for us for free.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-10-2012, 04:08 PM
blue dragon blue dragon is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pickering/Toronto
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 703
Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Awesome!

Look everyone. This guy is willing to do it for us for free.
I have done it for free, and so can you, if you can read and follow a step by step guide. If reading is not your forte, then by all means open your wallet. You know what they say about a fool and his money ...........

My original thread listing details
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...ed-my-e70.html
__________________


| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |

Last edited by blue dragon; 04-10-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Itinj6's Avatar
Itinj6 Itinj6 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,472
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Appreciate the link...

Don't appreciate you belittling those that would rather conveniently pay a SME to do this rather than screw with their systems. I've also heard of people screwing this up as well so congratulations to you for being an expert in coding and reading.

I make money so I can pay other people to do something I would rather not do nor have the time for. Because I'm sure you DIY for everything in your life. You never been to a restaurant, aye?

How about being a little more tactful.

Thank you very much, Gator Neil, for this very useful (to some of us) thread!

Last edited by Itinj6; 04-10-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 PM
blue dragon blue dragon is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pickering/Toronto
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 703
Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Appreciate the link...

Don't appreciate you belittling those that would rather conveniently pay a SME to do this rather than screw with their systems. I've also heard of people screwing this up as well so congratulations to you for being an expert in coding and reading.

I make money so I can pay other people to do something I would rather not do nor have the time for. Because I'm sure you DIY for everything in your life. You never been to a restaurant, aye?

How about being a little more tactful.

Thank you very much, Gator Neil, for this very useful (to some of us) thread!
I'm no expert, I merely responded to your smartass remark with my own. There is no SME on this, people learn from others and as I've said, I've offered to do it for free for people local to me. There are also many people who offered to code for free. If you want to learn, there is an entire forum dedicated to this over at http://www.bmwcoding.com

If you don't apprecite it when people respond to your snide remarks, then maybe you should be more tactful. There are lots of people offering this service for free, sometimes just to be helpful to the community. The knowledge of how to code is free, if you feel you do not have the time to learn, or the inclination to tackle something yourself, then the second best option is to find someone who will do it for free.

I've done my hitch install myself, my running board retro myself, my flares myself. I did the navigation retrofit on E46 M3 myself. I learned from others, so when there is an opportunity to pay it forward, I do that. I will pay for things I cannot do myself. I don't have a problem with paying David for coding, just letting people know that they can do it themselves or find a free coder.

If you personally want to be a wallet mechanic, be my guest, but comparing it to going out to a restaurant? Thats a bit of a stretch. There is a step by step guide posted in my link. What more could you want?
__________________


| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |

Last edited by blue dragon; 04-10-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Itinj6's Avatar
Itinj6 Itinj6 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,472
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
You guys are paying for coding? wow!
This isn't belittling???

There are also step by step recipes in cook books. No different that spending money at a restaurant. But that could be screwed up as well.

Like I said, appreciate your link. You could've posted it from the beginning with a simple, "guys, check this out"... but no. You felt it necessary to belittle us first.

I'm gonna check out what Palisades Mall Guy can do for me though. Thanks anyway!

Last edited by Itinj6; 04-10-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 PM
blue dragon blue dragon is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pickering/Toronto
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 703
Mein Auto: X5 35D
^^ More like surprised they hadn't seen the link to DIY, or any of the free coding threads. Either way, they know now
__________________


| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Itinj6's Avatar
Itinj6 Itinj6 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,472
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Well, my apologies then if I misunderstood.

I'm sure a lot of people will find your link useful. Once again, thanks for posting it, sincerely.

On the other hand, I lease so I still think I would be too nervous to screw with that stuff on my own. Rather have someone who already knows what they're doing, mess with it.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-11-2012, 01:49 PM
thom.one.two thom.one.two is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 749
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
I would never pay $120K for a car, and then jack with it myself. Like you said, Itin, I don't have time to do it and I appreciate a professional person who knows and understands my car better than I do. I wish I could find someone in Houston to do coding for us.
__________________
thom.one.two
Houston, TX

2000 328ci White/Tan
2002 330cic Orient Blue/Tan
2004 330ci Silver/Grey
2007 335i Convertible White/Tan
2009 650i Convertible White/Black
2009 M5 White/Black
2012 650i Convertible White/Cream
  • M Sport Package
  • Driver Assist Package
  • Bang and Olefson System
  • Comfort Seats
  • Contrast Stitching
  • Ceramic Controls
  • 20's
  • Active Steering
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-11-2012, 02:21 PM
blue dragon blue dragon is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pickering/Toronto
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 703
Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom.one.two View Post
I would never pay $120K for a car, and then jack with it myself. Like you said, Itin, I don't have time to do it and I appreciate a professional person who knows and understands my car better than I do. I wish I could find someone in Houston to do coding for us.
Its just a car, do you think the systems on the 120k bimmer are any different than the 30k bimmer? Or a 20k mini? Is your professional person going to do any different than the person who took 20 minutes to read the DIY? I mean thats what I did, and I posted the videos in the other thread, no screw ups, everything works.

Look at all the posts in this thread from people who did it themselves
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145
__________________


| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |

Last edited by blue dragon; 04-11-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Itinj6's Avatar
Itinj6 Itinj6 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,472
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Its just a car, do you think the systems on the 120k bimmer are any different than the 30k bimmer? Or a 20k mini? Is your professional person going to do any different than the person who took 20 minutes to read the DIY? I mean thats what I did, and I posted the videos in the other thread, no screw ups, everything works.

Look at all the posts in this thread from people who did it themselves
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145
The point is, repetition and experience is more comforting. Sure you can read and try to DIY. But then again, with YouTube, Forums and all other media out there with DIY instructions, you can DIY anything these days. Not everyone wants to. 120K or 30K, I have seen people screwing this up too. I agree with Thom though, I would be less likely to screw with a 120K car.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Hockey3081 Hockey3081 is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 48i
I don't particularly care what anyone does with their money, but on one hand, you have to pay $70ish for the cable and the value of your time. There are people who code for next to nothing, nothing or much less than the cost of the cable so it's still quite a steal since most people buying the cable would do it once and never use it again.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-11-2012, 09:51 PM
tonka858 tonka858 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: san diego
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 340
Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
anyone in San DIego do this?

i can not find the cable

more then happy to pay for your time
11 x5d
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms