Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
Does anybody here live in a warm climate like SoCal, Arizona, Nevada and have the same problem? I am wondering if it might be a result of road conditions (lots of ice, snow, road salt, dirt, etc).
Old 04-11-2010, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Baker View Post
I have had my X5 M Sport for three weeks now and it is already showing stone chips on the rear wheel arches, I am waiting for my dealer to come back to me with recommendations. I have spoken with a company who have put VentureShield® Paint Protection Film on a number of X5's. A number of which have been carried out under warranty. Has anyone had this done and what does it look like?
I had mine done. It does not prevent stone chips. It goes on clear. You barely see it.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:49 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwts View Post
I have an X5 M Sport 2008 here in the UK I have had exactly the same problem with stone chips I wont bothr sending photo's because they are exactly te sme as yours !! BMW have re painted both back doors sils and the wheel arches and then fitted mud flaps but after less than six months it have come back again I am now waiting to see what they do next.
I took my car to BMW last week with exactly the same problem, I have a 2008 3litre SD X5 with the M pack on it, can anyone tell me if BMW have accepted the problem as a design fault in the UK and covered it under warranty, I can see that I am going to have a battle with them, it is certainly is a design fault!
Old 05-23-2010, 05:52 AM

Exclamation BMW Feedback

BMW just gave me feedback about the stone chips. They will have it painted one last time... Put clearbra on etc... But that's it, then their poor design becomes my responsibility... Figure that out.

Their is no cure to prevent this from hapenning.

After 6 months of ownership, painting it twice, adding mud flaps... I am seriously thinking about trading it in.

I love the looks, the handling is simply un-beleivable, but can't imagine what it will look like in 3 or 4 years with the chipping of the paint... Cant afford to have it painted every 6 months.

I post this for you to learn from my mistake.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:45 AM

I have been pushing BMW for 2 months regarding the erosion on my wheel arches, they have finally agreed to correct the problem after a lot of persuasion from myself, I think it will cost them in the region of £2500, initially they said they would only respray the damage and they would not pay for the cost of the "film" cover which was minimal compared to the cost of the respray, amazing, they accepted that it was a manufactures fault after a lot of persuation from myself but they wanted me to pay to have it corrected. I love the car, I have had all makes in the past 20 years, Mercedes, Land Rover, Porch etc but I will NEVER have another BMW just purely based on their reluctance to give customer after care, I spend around £70,000 pa on Cars and for that I want good honest service from a reliable supplier and unfortunately I have not had that from BMW so I will be shopping elsewhere next year where I will get it, I have had other problems with the car like rusty wheel hubs from birth which they WILL NOT address and a faulty Interface Board on the command unit which affected the bluetooth functionality on the handsfree which they finally addressed after much effort from my part, come on BMW, times are hard, try keeping your customers, PLEASE STOP PISSING THEM OFF and honour your quality agreement
Old 06-02-2010, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: X5 m sport , M3
I purchased a carbon black one in January with the M sport package and mine looks identical to the one in the photo. Never down a dirt road with less than 5000 miles on it.
I am very disappointed to say the least.
Has anyone had any luck with getting BMW to correct the problem thinking about trading mine in on the new 2011 Porsche Cayenne if they do not resolve the problem.
When I contacted my dealer and asked if they had know about the problem they pretended not to have any knowledge of the problem. Then I send them a link to this thread to give them some idea that it is a known problem.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
Anything that sticks out is going to get hit with road rash. The black parts on my non sport X5 are showing wear. The more aerodynamic vehicals get the more damage they get especially the coke bottle designs with anything flared. Just look at the rear quarters (in front of the rear wheels) on e46 M3 cars. They are rashed in 10k miles. It is not a design flaw. The only "flaw" is that BMW does not use the clear protection film like Porsche does or for that fact Ford or Toyota.
07 335 coupe - sold
Old 06-02-2010, 08:32 AM

I was at a dealer in RI last week end. They have a brand new X5M Black Saphire in their yard. 700 miles on it. Same thing, all pitted around the wheels. The sales guy pretended he knew nothing about it and that is was never brought up...

I think BMW is aware, but they ignore it.

If you can't drive your M package on a regular road for more then 700 miles, why buy them?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Master Chief

Mein Auto: 09 BMW M3 e90
It's the consequence for having wide sticky tires and painted fender flares/siderockers... my M3 is having the same problem. This is why I just went with the regular sport package for my wife's X5 since that car will be used more during the winter.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
My ML320 did the same thing with the sport fender flares.

Welcome to wide tires and painted lowers. My X3 with M Sport is getting a full 3M clear setup on the rockers and fender trim before the fall because of this.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora20 View Post
My ML320 did the same thing with the sport fender flares.

Welcome to wide tires and painted lowers. My X3 with M Sport is getting a full 3M clear setup on the rockers and fender trim before the fall because of this.
FYI, I had both a 06 and a 07 X3 with M Sport and didn't have any problems.
YMMV however.

But my X5M had chips within a few hundred miles.

I had both X5's (M and 3.0 M Sport) covered in Ventureshield after having the rockers touched up on the M. So far so good on the M. I just picked up the M Sport today.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWill View Post
FYI, I had both a 06 and a 07 X3 with M Sport and didn't have any problems.
YMMV however.

But my X5M had chips within a few hundred miles.

I had both X5's (M and 3.0 M Sport) covered in Ventureshield after having the rockers touched up on the M. So far so good on the M. I just picked up the M Sport today.
How much snow do you get in San Diego? The roads up here can be covered in snow and sand/gravel deep into the summer in the high passes. The winter gravel eats it all off.

Our E320 wagon had factory clear film to keep this from happening too.

The next new car I buy will be completely wrapped. It costs about $2500, but no door ding marks or rock chips of any kind.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:57 AM

Well as for me... It's the end. I just traded in my 2010 X5 Mpackage for a 2010 GL350 Bluetech... No more issues for me. Good luck to you guys. See you on the Benz sites.

G
Old 06-05-2010, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora20 View Post
How much snow do you get in San Diego? The roads up here can be covered in snow and sand/gravel deep into the summer in the high passes. The winter gravel eats it all off.

Our E320 wagon had factory clear film to keep this from happening too.

The next new car I buy will be completely wrapped. It costs about $2500, but no door ding marks or rock chips of any kind.
I only live in SD a few months out of the year. I live in Montana most of the year.
Even when I'm in Ca. I spend a lot of time in Mammoth.

The damage to the M actually happened in Mammoth because of sand on the roads most likely.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:44 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldmystang View Post
you want a warranty on rock chips? seriously?

i would suggest you park it somewhere safe, good lord it might just get dirty if you actually took it outside you know. un-fu**ing-believable.........................
It's a perfectly reasonable expectation that the "M kit" dress up kit withstands normal road use.
FORD (oopps!) does take this seriously, and does give warranty repaints.

It should have been developed, and protected, with clear bra.

BMW however would find that to add Clear bra gives them process issues, with bubles and so on, and thus does not want to add it, and also does not want to Warranty agianst paint chips.

Welcome to the BMW world experience !!!! - and still we love our BMWs and would buy another one.

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 06-07-2010, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 xdrive50i
Where are you guys locating mud flaps for the 2011 x5 with m package? Would like to grab some right away and put on brand new vehicle, would prefer the ones that require no drilling and are custom made for this vehicle.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:56 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

stone guard (clear bra)

I was curious about these reports.
I had not noticed any stone chips, but then I normally drive through a car wash.
My car has 11000 kms on it now.
Last night I checked it in my garage, and to my delighted surprise, found that all the open areas for stone pecking (as it is called), from the tires, is covered in UPVC (clear bra)
it looks professionally done, and I dare to say from the BMW factory.
I can ask my dealer if it was delivered that way, or if they added it.
But I don't think they did !

After 11,000 kms it's looking as good as new down there, and it was driven through the last winter here in Belgium, but not much.

Rear view camera

Last edited by Marlbro; 06-08-2010 at 03:33 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:36 AM

BMW X5 stone chips

Yes BMW have taken responsability for it. 1,000 miles and the same issue on back wheel arches and the back door. BMW are aware and the fault is that the side step has been reduced in size as well as the wider wheel. They accepted the fault and have resprayed my car and applied stone chip. If they had not it would be outside the garage with a sign do not buy this model. I love the car but this is not acceptable as I would not have purchased it if i was aware. To be fair to BMW they have delt with the issue. We will see how it works !!!!!!!!!!!!!. I hope so as I like the car.

Last edited by Keithwilson30; 06-08-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:34 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Turns out my dealer knows teh problem well, so as mine was a demo, and obviously he didn't want people spotting that, otherwise they probably would order the car he added at the dealers expense a set of BMW clear bra. here's the price in Belgium, fitted
worth doing I would say.
But i would be getting the dealer to re-paint it, and fit these under warranty if it were happening on mine. clearly BMW know all about it, that's why they developed these clear bra stickers

Offerte Nr.
GSQP.10.00056

Offertedatum
09/06/10

Aangemaakt door:
KICA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

51912153864 (part nr)
Steenslagbescherming (stone chip guard)
105,42 (price in euros)

Steenslagbescherming

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Som wisselstuk

Som andere

Totaal EUR

BTW % van

Totaal EUR incl. BTW

1 Prest.Eenh(PE) = 5 Minuten

Rear view camera
Old 06-10-2010, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
I am considering purchasing x5 3.5i but the only sport pack available here is M for reasons only known to bmw Canada….. after reading all about the stone chips problem, I emailed bmw but they responded that they have not heard of stone chip problem Can someone with M pack experience confirm that the clear bra application (bmw parts or aftermarket) resolves the issue permanently? Or the M pack is simply a "do not buy" no matter what protection is applied….. Thanks!

Last edited by vbX; 06-10-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbro View Post
Turns out my dealer knows teh problem well, so as mine was a demo, and obviously he didn't want people spotting that, otherwise they probably would order the car he added at the dealers expense a set of BMW clear bra. here's the price in Belgium, fitted
worth doing I would say.
But i would be getting the dealer to re-paint it, and fit these under warranty if it were happening on mine. clearly BMW know all about it, that's why they developed these clear bra stickers

Offerte Nr.
GSQP.10.00056

Offertedatum
09/06/10

Aangemaakt door:
KICA

51912153864 (part nr)
Steenslagbescherming (stone chip guard)
105,42 (price in euros)

Steenslagbescherming

Som wisselstuk

Som andere

Totaal EUR

BTW % van

Totaal EUR incl. BTW

1 Prest.Eenh(PE) = 5 Minuten
Hi Marlbro:

Can you please post some close-up pictures of the applied clear-bra stickers? My 09 X5 35D does not have it and I wish to get the clear-bra applied in the right spots. Are these two pieces - one for the door and one for the wheel arch (dog-leg) section?

Does anyone know if these clear-bra stickers are available in Canada?

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Yeaaah Baby!!!!

Mein Auto: PG X5 35i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
. The only "flaw" is that BMW does not use the clear protection film like Porsche does or for that fact Ford or Toyota.
Funny thing is even my friends 2006 Toyota Matrix has a little piece of clear protectant on a vulnerable spot.

This sounds like a class action to me.

Last edited by bigrobb2; 06-10-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbX View Post
I am considering purchasing x5 3.5i but the only sport pack available here is M for reasons only known to bmw Canada….. after reading all about the stone chips problem, I emailed bmw but they responded that they have not heard of stone chip problem Can someone with M pack experience confirm that the clear bra application (bmw parts or aftermarket) resolves the issue permanently? Or the M pack is simply a "do not buy" no matter what protection is applied….. Thanks!
They know about it beleive me. I callec BMW customer service several times. They just refuse to admit it. Cuz if they do it's gona cost them $$$.

I do not recommend the M package at all. I tried everything, repainted, installed mud flaps and clear bra. After paying $1000 myself, It still does it.

I ended up trading for a Benz GL 350 after only 6 months. Very frustrated at BMW.

My recommendation: DO NOT BUY!
Old 06-10-2010, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 M package View Post
They know about it beleive me. I callec BMW customer service several times. They just refuse to admit it. Cuz if they do it's gona cost them $$$.

I do not recommend the M package at all. I tried everything, repainted, installed mud flaps and clear bra. After paying $1000 myself, It still does it.

I ended up trading for a Benz GL 350 after only 6 months. Very frustrated at BMW.

First of all it sucks to lay down your time and money for the X5M, very sorry it went that way for you, it would have driven me nuts for sure. Somehow the car gods must have mistaken you for me this time. Looked at the Benz 350 but wasn't my taste but others do buy it and guess it works for you. Hope they didn't crush you on the trade.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 M package View Post

How's the handling of the boat?

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /