Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:31 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 M package View Post
I ended up trading for a Benz GL 350 after only 6 months. Very frustrated at BMW.

My recommendation: DO NOT BUY!
Does your BENZ have a sport kit on it ?
what have MB done to stop this generic problem if you have a car with wide tyres, and painted lower Body parts ?

my European (Belgian) stone peck protection works great. Not a mark on the car in over 12,000 kms? but will keep you all posted if that changes.

I agree though, BMW are responsible.
The car is not standing up to the purpose it was built for.
I do not believe that BMW have a leg too stand on.
But who of you will go against them in a class action ?

the 2011 looks great without the M pack kit, but on a X5M you have no choice !

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 06-11-2010, 06:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
So glad I didn't go with the M Pac, 6 Gs for some painted pieces that chip in 200 miles?! No thank you!
But the black plastic of the reg versions looks good only on jet black or sapphire, as they blend in.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /

Last edited by 0428; 06-11-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: X5 m sport , M3
Im finding this problem to be extremely frustration this is not normal wear from wide tires.
I also have a M3 and it shows no sign of stone chipping from the tires and the trim of the rear quarter panels wraps around directly behind the rear tires.
The stone dames on My X5 M sport package is unbelievable it looks like the car has 200000 miles on it and it has less than 5000.
In the winter I live in the Vail, Colorado area with lots of snow and they spread a form of crushed asphalt or lava rock on the pavement for ice control and this is the only car I've seen with this problem. It is not normal wear it is extreme and it's been several weeks since I took my car to the dealer and it is still not fixed. They have not given me a date that repairs will start.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
When I get my 50 M Sport, its going straight to the Clear Bra Guy from the dealer.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Could someone please post a few pics of the the damaged areas? Is it caused only by the front tires? If that's the case, the front tires on M pack are the same size as those on all base models x5s - 255/50R.
The only difference is the base models wheels are all 18x8.5 with all season (bmw canada specs) while M pack has 19x9 with perf tires.
If the damage is not limited to rocker panels only, all base models x5 without running boards must have the same problem?
Old 06-19-2010, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: x5
I sent yu a private message...
Old 06-20-2010, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: Faulty X5 M !!
BMW Europe know there is an aero design problem with the X5 M Sport that causes excessive stone chipping to the rear wheel arches, rear end of the side skirts and rear doors, they are fitting new aero kits under warranty to cure the problem, I have yet to see full details but I understand it involves a new front bumper, side skirts, rear bumper and modification to aero parts underneath the car.

The new facelift X5 M Sport (released 5th June 2010) and the X5M 4.4 twin turbo (since Sep 2009) appear to have different bumper designs to the pre-facelift model, I presume this must be to address the issue.

However the X5M front bumper is also different from the new X5 M Sport just released, it is therefore unclear to me whether the X5M has a corrected aero design or whether this will suffer the same as previous models?
Old 06-21-2010, 06:28 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Rocker foils added 12,000 km no issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post
Hi Marlbro:

Can you please post some close-up pictures of the applied clear-bra stickers? My 09 X5 35D does not have it and I wish to get the clear-bra applied in the right spots. Are these two pieces - one for the door and one for the wheel arch (dog-leg) section?

Does anyone know if these clear-bra stickers are available in Canada?

Thanks.
Sorry RJ only just read your request !
here are one or two pictures. those are not scratches, it's dirty at the moment, but you can see where the dirt gets thrown up.
basically there are just two long stickers on the Rocker panel.
I checked the rear bumper, and no chips.
My car has 12,000 km now without damage, so I'm wondering what road conditions you guys are driving on ?
Do your roads have loose stones as a top covering ??? Our Belgian roads are basically clean! I'm wondering if that it the problem ????
There is a guy out of England, Sussex I think, is also having the stone pecking problem.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and I might just add some foil myself on those rear bumper under surfaces just to play safe.
In the winter, during gritting, I can imagine that would be a big problem, but I never noticed it on my 3 series with the big 19 inch either !

the last two pictures show the inside of my rear wheel arch eyebrows - No stone pecking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030286.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	235464   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030290.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	235465   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030294.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	235466   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030292.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	235467   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030287.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	235468  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030288.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	235469  

Rear view camera

Last edited by Marlbro; 06-22-2010 at 04:27 AM. Reason: to add pictures
Old 07-12-2010, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Has anyone recently applied clear bra to those affected areas on M sport? Did it resolve the problem?

Test drove 3.5i, 3.5i m sport, and 3.5d back-to-back. The handling of m-sport is amazing with the sport suspension, big difference compared to the regular, non-sport version. The power of 3.5i is more than sufficient, very similar to the diesel but the power delivery is a bit smother, probably due to 8-speed tran on 3.5i, also less torque in the lower rpms compared to diesel…. small turbo/transmission lag is felt on both 3.5i and 3.5d but becomes non-existent in sport mode….

I would love to get the m-sport but looks like the stone chip problem will be a deal breaker for me….

After looking at the m-pack setup up close, it is evident that the damage occurs due to design of the very narrow rocker panels. I'm more than sure that installing the oem running boards would resolve the issue completely, but then they would probably look out of place on the m-pack….

Last edited by vbX; 07-12-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 xDrive35d
3M Clearbra stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbro View Post
Sorry RJ only just read your request !
here are one or two pictures. those are not scratches, it's dirty at the moment, but you can see where the dirt gets thrown up.
basically there are just two long stickers on the Rocker panel.
I checked the rear bumper, and no chips.
My car has 12,000 km now without damage, so I'm wondering what road conditions you guys are driving on ?
Do your roads have loose stones as a top covering ??? Our Belgian roads are basically clean! I'm wondering if that it the problem ????
There is a guy out of England, Sussex I think, is also having the stone pecking problem.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and I might just add some foil myself on those rear bumper under surfaces just to play safe.
In the winter, during gritting, I can imagine that would be a big problem, but I never noticed it on my 3 series with the big 19 inch either !

the last two pictures show the inside of my rear wheel arch eyebrows - No stone pecking

Thanks Marbro for the close-up shots.

Our driving is mostly paved roads but they are "gritted" in the winter for traction thus the problem arises with the flared design of the body panel.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:35 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Well, you guys are making me really nervous.
I just had the dealer add some more clear bra to the rear bumper behind the tyres.
But I think I'm going to get them to clear bra the wheel arch extensions before Winter.

Rear view camera
Old 08-27-2010, 06:48 AM

The damage on my M sport package is located in front of rear tires on wheel arches and lower rocker and both front and rear doors under the trim line.
Dealer repainted wheel arches and rockers and told me not to drive car for a month then 3m protective film can be applied. After waiting a month dry time I noticed the chips on the lower doors and had to have them repainted now I must wait another month to have 3m applied.
I have not been able to drive my car since June and now must wait another month to drive it.
The problem is real and very frustrating as a customer.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:37 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecker View Post
BMW Europe know there is an aero design problem with the X5 M Sport that causes excessive stone chipping to the rear wheel arches, rear end of the side skirts and rear doors, they are fitting new aero kits under warranty to cure the problem, I have yet to see full details but I understand it involves a new front bumper, side skirts, rear bumper and modification to aero parts underneath the car.

The new facelift X5 M Sport (released 5th June 2010) and the X5M 4.4 twin turbo (since Sep 2009) appear to have different bumper designs to the pre-facelift model, I presume this must be to address the issue.

However the X5M front bumper is also different from the new X5 M Sport just released, it is therefore unclear to me whether the X5M has a corrected aero design or whether this will suffer the same as previous models?
None of these M Sport kits or the X5M bumpers are Aero aids, they are purely styling aids.
None of the changes have been done to resolve the stone pecking issue.

they are just martketing face lifts to regenerate the brand !!!!

The only solutions BMW can do are
1. fit clear bra at the Factory (quick fix)
2. look into a more resiliant paint

Opel had a similar issue on their cars back in 95 & 96, I haven't noticed it on recent Opels.
In Europe, at our Plant, we take this very seriously.
To my recent knowledge, our warranty claims do not include stone chips;
So that would mean that for our customers we have solved it in the Paint.
We deleted the Clear Bra as a cost saving.

But BMW think that they don't need too. They think that all you well heelled people can afford to pay for their cheap Ass paint on their very Expensive cars.

Still, they are very nice cars, which is why I have one and not a "Ford" Shoosh I'm not supposed to tell anyone !!!!

Rear view camera
Old 10-16-2010, 07:37 AM

Update dealer repainted lower part of car, rockers and wheel arches.
They then applied 3m protective film. Now after one thousand mile the film is starting to peel off and is badly pitted with stone chips. I plan to get rid of the X5 this is inexcusable in my book. I have hugh regrets about buying this car and warn potentials customers to stay clear of the M sport package. I think I'm done with BMW I love the styling and performance of their vehicles but the quality and customer service are poor.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:04 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Quote:
I was curious about these reports.
I had not noticed any stone chips, but then I normally drive through a car wash.
My car has 11000 kms on it now.
Last night I checked it in my garage, and to my delighted surprise, found that all the open areas for stone pecking (as it is called), from the tires, is covered in UPVC (clear bra)
it looks professionally done, and I dare to say from the BMW factory.
I can ask my dealer if it was delivered that way, or if they added it.
But I don't think they did !

After 11,000 kms it's looking as good as new down there, and it was driven through the last winter here in Belgium, but not much.

UPDATE: - Car has now got 19,000 kms still as good as new.
the clear bra was fitted at the dealer's cost, and is not showing any really bad damage.
there are one or two little marks, but no discolouration.
let's see what this winter brings !

Rear view camera
Old 12-13-2010, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 xdrive50i
Just checking in if any further advancements have been made by bmw to fix this problem, now that it is snowing here and the salt and sand are down I really notice it kicking up more than normal on the sides of vehicle and I am sure causing a sand blasting effect on the body parts. I remember awhile back someone mentioning some new moldings that bmw was installing at their cost to fix the problem at their expense.

Already tried the mud flaps and removed them immediately after installed as they totally ruined the look of the m package and do not want to use any tape.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:52 PM

I installed 3M Clear Bra in July and its been great. Looks the same as the day I put it on. I can barely see it, blends in very well. BMW is now selling their own version through the dealer, not sure of the cost.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
now that I checked my car is ****ed up too!!!

Rocks seem to be hitting the back of my car from the front tire.

EPIC FAIL
Old 12-15-2010, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
How much does it cost to wrap the rockers, lower doors and fron bumper with the 3M or ventureshield product?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 M Sport
Thumbs down X5 M Sport Stone Chipping

I've been driving my 2011 X5 M Sport for about 1000 miles and started to notice the same thing. As the owner of a carwash I personally wash and wax my car myself. After my appointment with the BMW rep he said BMW would paint once and I need to put a clear bra on. After spending 7500.00 for the M package and the 20in wheels not something I wanted to hear. I have opened a case with BMW of North America and will let you know what happens. A major design flaw. Instead of painting when someone complains,how about fixing the problem. Maybe a larger front fender flare or some flaps. My first BMW and so far not real impressed by the company.
Doug NJ
Old 01-10-2011, 03:07 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

There are plenty of exmaples of people having the problem, in America, Cananda, and Europe.
It is a design flaw, no doubt about that.
The only fix for it is a more chip resistant paint.
It is available, FORD paints it's vehicles in Belgium with a chip resistant paint.

In a court of law, BMW will have absolutely no leg to stand on. They are betting that no one has the Balls, time, or money, to take them to court on it. But if you do, you should win.

Good Luck, I look forward to reading the case results, in say 5 years time.

So far, mine is still looking great with the Clear Bra, that my dealer fitted for free, even the additional area behind the Rear tyres, that I went back and asked for after reading this thread, they didn't charge me for any of it.
My salesman came clean, and told me all about it when I asked him.
Of course, that was after I had bought the car. But so far, on that, I have no regrets going M Sport kit.

Rear view camera
Old 01-10-2011, 05:42 AM
2011 X5 50i MSportPackage

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 MSport Package
before pickup

Quote:
There are plenty of exmaples of people having the problem, in America, Cananda, and Europe.
It is a design flaw, no doubt about that.
The only fix for it is a more chip resistant paint.
It is available, FORD paints it's vehicles in Belgium with a chip resistant paint.

In a court of law, BMW will have absolutely no leg to stand on. They are betting that no one has the Balls, time, or money, to take them to court on it. But if you do, you should win.

Good Luck, I look forward to reading the case results, in say 5 years time.

So far, mine is still looking great with the Clear Bra, that my dealer fitted for free, even the additional area behind the Rear tyres, that I went back and asked for after reading this thread, they didn't charge me for any of it.
My salesman came clean, and told me all about it when I asked him.
Of course, that was after I had bought the car. But so far, on that, I have no regrets going M Sport kit.
Thanks Marlboro! Im taking this link to my dealer and going to request they put it on mine (still on order est early Feb) before I take delivery. After I ordered the Mpackage I then read all the horror stories about the chipping. I feel more confident in my choice after reading your post.
Thanks again for sharing the info.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 with M Package
I purchased a 2011 X5 with the added M package in September 2010, drove up to Big Bear Lakes on Christmas Day for some snowboarding. From a single drive in road salt (approximately 50 miles), the paint on the fender flares and rockers are very chewed up. Both doors (under the trim) are minorly chewed up. It seems the plastic can't really handle the abuse from the front wheel flinging road salt at the side of the car.

I spoke to the service manager (Bill Schrader) at BMW of San Diego. He arranged for me to show my car to the BMW NA representative. The next day I received a call from the dealership who told me that they would not be doing anything under the service warranty. My only option was to call the BMW Customer Service Center, which I did. In my opinion they are the WORST customer service I have ever dealt with. They also denied that BMW would do anything to fix the problem. I agree with Marlbro, this is a design defect and should be covered.

Unfortunately, I have no recourse other than to sue BMW in small claims court.

Some questions for those who have had this repaired.

1) I haven't got any estimates for repairs yet. Does anyone have ballpark figures on the cost to repaint the fender flares, rocker flares, and lower doors?

2) What is the cost of the clear film and front mud flaps?

3) I assume that I should be suing BMW NA (and not the dealership). Any lawyers out there?

Thanks!
Chris
Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: ///M
Purchased my new 2011 X5 5.0I with M-Sport package last Saturday 02/05/11. I noticed after getting my car washed today the rocker panels are ALL CHIPPED UP after 6 days & 900 miles of driving. The car does not have snow tires therefore it was not driven in the snow. After I noticed this problem 1 hour ago.. Car is perfectly clean so all the white and black spots you see if missing paint in front of the rear tire!!

Taking to the dealer very soon, already spoke with BMW Customer Service Center....

Last edited by sean18337; 02-11-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:34 PM

I put the 3M Clear bra on all of those lower areas on mine when it was new. Still looks as good as new after 5,000 Miles.