Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-28-2009, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Installing aux input in ashtray?

I want to put the aux. input faceplate in the coinholder/ashtray. I've found a pic on the web however can't find any detailed instructions with pics. I've taken the radio out and the two screws that attach to the fascia around the heated seat controls. I can't figure out how to get into and behind the ashtray? Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 12-29-2009, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
The shifter plate has four screws and two small retainers that have to be removed. First pull the shift handle off...I suggest in neutral and while pressing the button on the shifter in. The plate the shifter is in just pops out leaving the woodgrain part intact. Now you can see the four screws and the copper color retainers. The retainers just pop off with a flat blade screw driver. Good luck it's an easy job. By the way...thats where I was going to put my jack but opted for the armrest compartment instead....just an option
Old 12-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 335i, 98 323ic, 05 V50
Eric...I've got the auxiliary jack arriving tomorrow hopefully...I am thinking about putting the jack in the armrest compartment, but not sure how to feed it through yet. I've watched the vid about getting to the radio and I am wondering if the cord can be fed through the tunnel cover without having to remove the cover etc. Might get a better idea once I start, but would like to get my "ducks-in-a-row!" Got a new Ipod for Christmas...can't wait!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:32 PM

Once you remove the shifter plate take the cupholder and emergency brake handle boot up...they pull up quite easily. Then just pull the armrest bottom compartment out. I took the two screws that hold the console down out also...the ones near the front of the armrest compartment. Watch your hands the metal is sharp down there but I grabbed the bracket that the two console mounting screws go in and bent it back a bit...it's very flexable metal and you will have no issues bending it back...this is so you can get your hand in to grab the wire. Now run the aux wire from the radio location back toward the armrest...you will have to fish it back around the EB handle..take a few bad words but you can get it around. I mounted the jack a hair to high in the box so I had to grind a little off the console in the armrest..you can't see a thing but I would recommend mounting the jack input about two to three inches into the box to avoid this. When you drill your holes for the jack mount make the center hole big enough for the thicker part of the metal plug to fit through....otherwise you won't be able to get the nut on. Make sure you mount it in the front of the box...you will have just enough cable this way..Then just reassemble and enjoy.

Last edited by Eric Arrow; 12-29-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:47 PM

Thanks...it is either going in there or on the DCS/Heated Seats panel. I do not have a 12v outlet in the rear ashtray...my original plan was to use the armrest and plug the Ipod into the rear outlet for charging. I have the dummy plug in the rear ashtray...just not sure if it is pre-wired...pita to run wires for the outlet all the way up front. My thought is if I utilize the armrest, but still have to use the front ashtray for charging I'm still gonna have wires laying on the console.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:11 PM

Check that last post...I went to the garage and pulled the rear ashtray and there is a 12volt outlet in there. I had pulled on the plug several times before but it would not come out so I assumed it was just a cover. The previous owner must have dumped something in there sticky...probably a Juice Box reservoir at some point. Outside looks clean, but the plug was like it was glued in there. I slowly wedged around the bottom and popped it out. Aux jack is going in the armrest compartment!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:24 AM

Good luck....keep us posted. The whole deal took me about an hour.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:14 AM

Mein Auto: Audi
I installed my aux into the center console box. I drilled the one center hole to feed the cable from near the E-brake to the inside of the box and the two side holes to screw on the plate. On the center hole, there is not enough space for the female audio "barrel" to extend through the hole and attach/secure the knurled nut. The female end just sits sort of loose and if I unplug the male end, the female port will just fall from the plate and sit in the e-brake area. Can I buy some sort of barrel extender?
Old 05-20-2014, 03:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW VOLVO VW
I mounted mine just to the right of the shift console. Plenty of space below for the plug.

SWMBO loves it and saving 300 bucks installing it even more.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: Audi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschles View Post
I installed my aux into the center console box. I drilled the one center hole to feed the cable from near the E-brake to the inside of the box and the two side holes to screw on the plate. On the center hole, there is not enough space for the female audio "barrel" to extend through the hole and attach/secure the knurled nut. The female end just sits sort of loose and if I unplug the male end, the female port will just fall from the plate and sit in the e-brake area. Can I buy some sort of barrel extender?
Did anyone else experience the problem I'm describing above?