Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Yup! I hate the chime... I really don't need an annoying beep in addition to the following:

- kids asking to turn on the DVD players
- my wife complaining about something.
Duct tape and Foam?

cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 08-03-2011, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: X3 535xi
If you have any friends that ride a Harley Davidson, or work on them, they should have a Torx set you could borrow. They are easy to find at any big box hardware place if you can't borrow a set.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x3
do you have to reprogram the cluster after removing it?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
no
Old 07-12-2012, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: x3
awesome, thanks.

didn't really mean to revive an ancient thread
Old 03-08-2013, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto: 320d
People don't do this!

I cant understand how can you damage your car in this way! the speaker is used for error messages, so when someting actually goes wrong with the car it you will not hear it!

The proper way to do this is coding the car with NCS expert, all you do is plug in to the OBD port 2 minutes later no chime, and physical modyfication:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...CPqY7sEC#gid=0

Another thing that people do not understand is that when you put the buckle in the car sets itself up as if you would be wearing a seatbelt! (Belt prenensioners, SRS air bag deployment force, etc) and this can cause harm to you!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ems23 View Post
People don't do this!

I cant understand how can you damage your car in this way! the speaker is used for error messages, so when someting actually goes wrong with the car it you will not hear it!

The proper way to do this is coding the car with NCS expert, all you do is plug in to the OBD port 2 minutes later no chime, and physical modyfication:

Another thing that people do not understand is that when you put the buckle in the car sets itself up as if you would be wearing a seatbelt! (Belt prenensioners, SRS air bag deployment force, etc) and this can cause harm to you!
The x3 works differently than the e46. This speaker is on US X3s only and it's only function is to make that beep...
Old 03-08-2013, 12:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Quote:
The x3 works differently than the e46. This speaker is on US X3s only and it's only function is to make that beep...
Not, the speaker is there in all regions, but depending on the localization of the vehicle that particular chime is turned on or off. As correctly said below, that same speaker is used for other notification that I wouldn't want to miss. Last but not least: why cannibalize a perfectly working cluster when you can achieve the exact same result with a perfectly reversible software procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems23 View Post
People don't do this!

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 03-15-2013, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
Wow, do you guys react this way to everything? The guy is annoyed by the beeping, he wants to stop it, so he removed the speaker. If he wants to put it back, he can just solder it back.

Trying to do this in software isn't simple at all compared to what he did. And it's not guaranteed to work. And the fix would need to be redone if the ECU software is updated.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 320d
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwvwvw View Post
Wow, do you guys react this way to everything? The guy is annoyed by the beeping, he wants to stop it, so he removed the speaker. If he wants to put it back, he can just solder it back.

Trying to do this in software isn't simple at all compared to what he did. And it's not guaranteed to work. And the fix would need to be redone if the ECU software is updated.
A. He is damaging his car an recommending it as good solution encuronging others to damage theirs

B. software fix is easy just follow a guide one YouTube how to do it and it allways works! It's simpler than dismantling half you your dash to get to the cluster.

C. Stop encouraging bad practise, this forum is supposed to have usefull and proper tips, and this one is not either.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
Settle down. It's a modification, a minor one at that, that is reversible. No modifications allowed?

There is simply nothing wrong with removing the transducer to stop the noise it's making. It's is useful and is far from bad practice.

Your claim "dismantling half your dash" is false. It's a couple screws that hold in the instrument cluster.

Can you point me to the YouTube video you're talking about? What equipment is needed?
Old 09-18-2013, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: '91 E30 / '07 X3
Disabling X3 seat belt chimes via Coding

You need a BMW MINI USB OBD Diagnostic Programing cable INPA KDCAN DIS SSS GT1 NcsExpert kit

Once you've taken a little time to follow the instructions... closely.
You want to look at the settings listed below. For the E83 LCI these settings are located in the AKMB module.

To alter seatbelt warning beep and dash board indicator:

Default values have * next to them.

Setting enables/disables the seatbelt warning lamp, when you initially start the car. However if the seat belt is unbuckled and you begin to drive the lamp will light up anyway.

GURTWARNUNG
mit_gurtschlosskontakt* - enable visible seatbelt warning lamp
ohne_gurtschlosskontakt - disable visible seatbelt warning lamp

Setting enables/disables the seatbelt warning beep, when you initially start the car. However if the seat belt is unbuckled and you begin to drive the beep will sound anyway.

AKUSTIK_GURT_WARN
aktiv* - enable acoustic seatbelt warning
nicht_aktiv - disable acoustic seatbelt warning

This setting seems to enable/disable the driver's unbuckled seat belt timer that starts counting down when the driver's seat belt is unbuckled. When the counter reaches zero, the seat belt warning lamp and beeping sound will occur. Even if both GURTWARNUNG and AKUSTIK_GURT_WARN are set to "nicht-aktiv".

SBR_FAHRER
aktiv* - enable driver side fasten seat belt warning
nicht_aktiv - disable driver side fasten seat belt warning

This setting seems to enable/disable the passenger's unbuckled seat belt timer that starts counting down when the passenger's seat belt is unbuckled. When the counter reaches zero, the seat belt warning lamp and beeping sound will occur. Even if both GURTWARNUNG and AKUSTIK_GURT_WARN are set to "nicht-aktiv". ( I have switched this setting to "nicht_aktiv", but left the other settings at their defaults....)

SBR_BEIFAHRER
aktiv* - enable passenger side fasten seat belt warning
nicht_aktiv - disable passenger side fasten seat belt warning

If you disable any of these setting, please remember to buckle up!

BMWCCA Member

Last edited by ngcreese; 09-18-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Thanks for that step-by-step guide. I am new here and was contemplating getting rid of that annoying sound too. FWIW, I have no issues with breaking off that little buzzer.

But i am also curious about learning what can be done coding-wise and now I can see what is needed to be bought for equipment, so I will probably go that route instead.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
My purse, gym bag, or any other significant item on the passenger seat sets off the chime. I finally buckled the seatbelt and wallah, it stopped. However, I do hear a one-chime every now and then, and wasn't sure what it was. Then I saw something about the outside temperature flash above the steering wheel. Guess that's the one-beep 37 degree signal? I'll have to look at it more closely next time. I live in New England, and it's winter, so the temp is going to be quite low for the next several months. One beep isn't that bad, although it makes me wonder if there's something wrong. Who the heck thought it was an important feature???

Hello....coat warning! Your mother says it's too cold to be outdoors without a coat! LOL.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
all bmw's chime once at 37deg. risk of road ice is there at this temperature, especially on overpasses.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
*Voila. It's French.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Audi's chime at 37 too. I wonder if all german cars do?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Audi's chime at 37 too. I wonder if all german cars do?
Standard on just about every car in Europe for the past 10 years or more. Fords or whatever.

Would be preferable for the chime to be noticeably different from other warning sounds.
So the driver would know right away that it isn't a mechanical malfunction or something that needs rectifying.

The Rover 2000TC in the 1960's was one of the first with an 'ice alert'.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Regardless of what your OBC is set to, the 37deg chime will illuminate and blink the temperature setting. So its not like nothing else is happening when the chime for temp goes off.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: '07 X3
Smile

Alternate non-destructive fix:

Twist a small piece of cardboard (like from a tissue box) into the hole at the back of the little speaker. Chime muted! To reverse, simply pull cardboard back out.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
Quote:
So I finally got around to fixing the seat belt chime problem on my X3.

A few weeks ago, I had my indy BMW shop program my 2006 X3 to disable the seat belt chime and to turn off the chime when it gets below 37 degrees. Unfortunately, the programming does not work on US spec cars--despite the fact that the Autologic displayed the chime as disabled. Blah.

So here's my DIY on removing the seat belt chime...

Step 1:
Remove instrument cluster. 2 Philips head screws holding it in. Remove screws, then pull out cluster and disconnect cable harness.

Step 2:
Remove back of instrument cluster. There are 4-5 tiny torx heads screws holding the back of the cluster together. Remove them, then gently pry the rear of the cluster off with a small flat head screwdriver.

Step 3:
Remove speaker. With the back off of the cluster, I turned the car on, found the source of the noise, and err solved the issue. There is a small speaker held on by 2 solder points. Gently sway the speaker back and forth until the connections sever.

Step 4:
Reassemble cluster.

That's it... We read the cluster with the Autologic for faults, and it came up clean... The whole project took about 15 minutes to complete, and I am much happier without the ear-piercing beep every time I throw my laptop bag on the passenger seat...

Does anyone know if this is the same speaker the front parking sensors use?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
Glad to find this THANK YOU! my afternoon project this saturday
Old 05-23-2014, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Bumping this up.

Has anyone successfully disabled their seatbelt chime by using NCS expert on a 2004-2006 E83? Seems like most people have been able to on the '07-'10 LCI models but haven't read much about anyone able to do it on the earlier models. Would rather disable it through coding instead of having to pull the cluster.