Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
running some problem with 3 gear on my 07 650 6/spd

hey guys!! running some problem with 3 gear on my 07 650 6/spd....the 3 gear is not grinding just hard to get in on high rpm..... 100,000mil-160,000km on the car.... what will be the cheapest solution..... please help
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2013, 04:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 650i
I have a slush box in mine and have never worked on a 6 speed BMW. But, have it looked at soon.

Because something simple, could turn into a big job quickly. Such as a clutch linkage. If the clutch is not fully disengaging (at high RPMs and quick shift) then you could be doing more damage to the gearbox (or clutch), while the fix would probably be very easy and inexpensive. You may want to search for a DIY for linkage adjustment just to rule that out. Maybe Yorgi can tell you how difficult that job is on a 6. I think he drives a manual tranny as well.

If you don't find one here (most of us have autos and SMGs) look on M5board. Lots of manual trannys over there and I'm sure you'll find some threads relating to your issues.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 PM

thank you.... so what will be step one?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
I would replace the transmission oil as a first step. If the oil is old and has some moisture in it the cold weather will make changing gears sluggish. If the problem feels like the oil is thick and gets slightly better on warmer days then that would be my first guess.

If only the 3rd gear is sticking it could be worn out shifter linkage (bushings) or worn syncros. I installed a short shift kit on my E46 3 series and it was a total pain in the butt. It's very tight in the transmission tunnel where the shifter linkage is.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 01-05-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 PM

Thank you!! I will do that.... If my links are no good what to do next... I don't think syncro are damage... And if worse case where can I get new/used transmission for it?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by drazil7 View Post
Thank you!! I will do that.... If my links are no good what to do next... I don't think syncro are damage... And if worse case where can I get new/used transmission for it?
There are several bushings in the gearshift linkage.

Here is a diagram with part numbers.

Are you planning on attempting this yourself? If yes I would order 2x #2, #5, #6, #7, #13,#14,#15 just to be safe. Once you get in there you will want to change all those parts to be safe. Otherwise just let a shop look into it for you.

If the syncro is shot I would live with it until it gets very bad. A rebuilt or new trany will not be cheap.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater