Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 12-28-2001, 04:56 PM
pimpee

Send a message via AIM to LilEccentricJ
Mein Auto: 2004 GMC Duramax Diesel
Post Bentley E46 Repair Manual (Tips, tricks and general info) Thread

This thread was inspired by robg and is open to anyone wanting to post tips, tricks and general information found in the Bentley E46 manual. Please include page numbers when ever posting.

On page 300-14 (A confusing passage to say the least)

Begin text:

Drag torque reduction (MSR)

“During deceleration and engine braking conditions engine drag torque can cause the rear wheels of a vehicle to lock on low traction surfaces, especially in high speed, low gear driving. This can lead to loss of traction in the rear. When drive wheel speed is slower than front wheel speed the ECM will suspend vehicle coasting by increasing throttle opening angle and engine torque.”

End text

I’m confused, puzzled and for some reason this passage interests me if you know what I mean.

New Sig SOON!!! Just need to find time to make an 11 MB flashing sig file for my new truck
Does anyone rememeber my BMW?
Ads by Google
Old 12-28-2001, 05:30 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
I've had this happen before (downshifted from 5th into 3rd a bit abruptly), but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary; just a bit of tire squeal and a lurch.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:37 PM
pimpee

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz
I've had this happen before (downshifted from 5th into 3rd a bit abruptly), but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary; just a bit of tire squeal and a lurch.
Hmm, Kaz, very interesting... So do we think this is a function in a Step or 5M or both? The manual doesn't differentiate relative to its' application.

New Sig SOON!!! Just need to find time to make an 11 MB flashing sig file for my new truck
Old 12-28-2001, 06:02 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz
I think the conditions described above is a little different...Imagine going at very high speed on slippery surfaces, and all of a sudden taking your foot off of the accelerator. The engine brake will cause the rear wheel to all of a sudden lose grip if the speed is high and the gearing is low. On the track this is called "lifting" and is a very bad practice, hence in situations like this its actually VITAL that you heel and toe. I guess the passage reads that if said situation should occur the ECM will add fuel to the engine and prevent such loss of traction.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 12-28-2001, 06:10 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Wouldn't this just be a function of DSC, and not a separate system?
Old 12-28-2001, 06:51 PM
pimpee

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz
Wouldn't this just be a function of DSC, and not a separate system?

I believe it is a function of the DSC system and as far as what HACK said, it seems that this would then be more applicable to the 5M since the torque converter on a Step would allow a slip or disconnect from the engine thus minimizing or eliminating the need for such a device?

BTW HACK, how serious of an issue is this in racing?… I still don’t fully understand what we are dealing with as it relates to “real world” situations here.

Old 12-29-2001, 08:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Instrument Cluster tests...

To
access a whole slew of data and the instrument cluster test on an e46:
1. with the ignition off, hold the left instrument button
2. turn the key to position 1 (radio)
3. If you let go of the button and press again you will cycle through the following 20 tests.
4. If you want to acess the submenus, release the button while a test menu number is being diplayed, within a second, you will see Test number.0. You can then click again to cylce through the submenus. To get back to the main menu, press and hold the left key until you see the test number without the ".0".
5. Note, you can only access tests 1 and 2 without unlocking-- to unlock the other tests, go to test 19 and wait for the display ot say "l-off", then click again. Now you can cycle through to the other tests

Test 1 (Vehicle specific data)
Sub Menu Sample Output Meaning
1.0 12345 VIN
1.1 4812 Body number
6_1.2 834762 Part number of cluster
1.3 010203 Coding/diagnosis/bus index
1.4 3499 Build date (week/year)
1.5 04_600 Hardware/software version of cluster
3_1.6 415_06 Injection status

Test 2 (instrument cluster test) as discussed already
Test 3 Service INterval data
3.0 1500 Liters
3.1 0 Periodic Inspection days (NA to US)
Test 4 (Fuel consumption data)
4.0 0267 26.7 liters/1000km
4.1 0073 7.3 liters/hour
Test 5 (Fuel consumer/ distance traveled)
5.0 0195 9.5/liters / 100km
5.1 226 Distance left to go
Test 6: Fuel level sensor input in liters
6.0 237415 Fuel level: Left side fuel sensor 23.7 liters RIght side: 41.5 liters
6.1 0652 Tank level: 65.2 liters
1_6.2 0667 Indicated value and tank phase 1- both sensors ok 2- one sensor fault 3 implausible input
Test 7 Temp and speed
7.0 032 Coolant temp input = 32 C
7.1 245 outside temp: 24.5 C
7.2 5283 Engine SPeed 5283
7.3 058 Vehicle speed
Test 8
Input vaues in HEx code
8.0-8.3 XXX Hex code, instrument cluster inputs
Test 9 Batter voltage
9.0 125 12.5 volts
Test 10 Country coding
10.0 02 US (=02)
Test 11 Cluster code
11.0 0000003 Cluster code
Test 12 Not used
Test 13 Gong test Activate gong by presing button (gong response is delayed)
Test 14 Fault memory
Test 15-18 not used
Test 19 Lock/ unlock other tests
Test 20 Avg fuel consumption correction
20.0 Pressbutton when correc 1s position in attained
20.1 Press button when correct 10s position is attained
20.2 Press button when correct 100s position is attained
Test 21 Software reset

On 2001 models you can reset the oil service indicator by pressing and holding the left button, until the cluster says "reset" then click again.
Old 12-29-2001, 08:35 AM
Gone Motoring!

Send a message via Skype™ to ayn
Mein Auto: Smart Fortwo cab
cool, keep posting tips and tricks here! at least until I get mine in the mail!

how many pages are in the damn thing?

--Andrew
Old 12-29-2001, 09:11 AM
pimpee

Quote:
Originally posted by ayn
cool, keep posting tips and tricks here! at least until I get mine in the mail!

how many pages are in the damn thing?

--Andrew

The book isn't numbered like that and as much as I like you, I'm not gunna count them for you It's about the thickness of 2 reams of paper tho... so like 1000 pages +/-

Old 01-13-2009, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 02 330i
hey guys, i'm looking for some/any info on the IHKA (hvac unit), especially any built-in test modes that might be available. Does the bently have anything?

My temp setting in the cabin is way off.. I have to figure out why before blindly replacing the sensors/main unit needlessly.

I also just ordered my bentley manual (would have preferred the factory service manual on Cd, though) .. cant wait til it arrives.

Anyone have a source for factory service manuals on cd? The ebay ones look kinda shady....
Old 11-23-2010, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci; 2011 535i
I've read the Bentley manual version and the one listed above, but am unable to change the 20.0, 20.1 and 20.2 submenus data on my car, a 2004 330Ci. I get to submenu 20.0 and there are about 5 or 6 dashes for the ones digit, but nothing seems to generate a number to replace one or more of the dashes. I've had an E36 and an E60 and was able to change the mpg calculation factor for those models. Has anyone had any luck changing the mpg factor on an E46?
Old 11-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46
This (ancient) thread should probably be moved to the E46 forum for the greatest likelihood of getting answers.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 320D e46 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jere View Post
I've read the Bentley manual version and the one listed above, but am unable to change the 20.0, 20.1 and 20.2 submenus data on my car, a 2004 330Ci. I get to submenu 20.0 and there are about 5 or 6 dashes for the ones digit, but nothing seems to generate a number to replace one or more of the dashes. I've had an E36 and an E60 and was able to change the mpg calculation factor for those models. Has anyone had any luck changing the mpg factor on an E46?
hi jere i am italian and i am in the same situation have you a solution to add a factor fule consumtion correction in our e46? instead "------" value?
thanks