Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-01-2014, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Dumped my X3

Transfer case went and the cam position sensor code was showing up. At 100k that car, with sport package and in outstanding cosmetic condition, was essentially done. It faced thousands of dollars in repairs in the very near future.

The X3 seemed like a decent vehicle, yet it was the least reliable and most expensive to repair car I have ever owned - and I've owned a lot of cars. More than a couple have been BMWs, and I still have a 2005 330Ci cabrio. That said, the X3 was the last one I'll ever buy. My long-time mechanic refers to the X3 as a 'disposable' car. "Drive it to 80 or 100K and then get rid of it."

I hope the next buyer gets a warranty.

See ya'll later!
Ads by Google
Old 07-02-2014, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: NA
So sorry to heard that. Mine is a 2005 MT with sport suspension. It has 156k. I did spend a fortune with the BMW dealer in NJ replacing most of the oil gaskets. Now I have to replace a tie rod end. Other than that my car is in excellent condition. Where is your car at the moment? hopefully you didnt donated it to the dealer.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
At 85k, I'll have mine until 100k at most. I've now had thermostat, water pump, oil filter housing gaskets, steering angle sensor all fail. I have vanos solenoid codes and I will need a belt/pulley job soon, and I'm waiting on the transfer case actuator and window regulator to go. Such a great car, with horrible quality at not even 100k. My Accord at 117k has been more reliable.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: NA
True, the quality is not that great. I was honestly expecting more for a BMW car. My uncle has a 1974 BMW 2002ti since the late '80s and, according to him the maintenance is very simple, cheap and easy, no major repairs.

The sunroof glass rattles from the right corner and I was quoted a lot of money for the repair (new cassette required). Also, there's a lot of noise in the interior of the car, i don't know if the back seats are loose. I check the battery/spear tire compartment and everything seems tight and in order.

The car is very powerful only after shifting to the 3rd gear. Few weeks ago I had a road trip from NJ to OH. I put 105mph in 6th gear 3,750rpm and It felt very good and realiable, It seems that I could push more the gas pedal but it was too fast for me. I was already the fastest car on the road! Believe me, I'm not like that but the car was asking for more speed.

The solenoid sounds kind of scary ($$$). I do still have faith in the car.... well, I have to, I don't want to dumped such a nice looking car after "investing" a few grands in repairs, I do want to see the return of my money driving it for many more years and who knows, maybe teaching my kids how to drive stick shift in that car.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUEng View Post
At 85k, I'll have mine until 100k at most. I've now had thermostat, water pump, oil filter housing gaskets, steering angle sensor all fail. I have vanos solenoid codes and I will need a belt/pulley job soon, and I'm waiting on the transfer case actuator and window regulator to go. Such a great car, with horrible quality at not even 100k. My Accord at 117k has been more reliable.
I dont know guys, all these seem like "normal" BMW maintenance items. Old parts become brittle and fail. Every car has maintenance, and if one doesn't want to deal with it than buy new with warranty and dump it after the warranty period like everyone else.
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers - July'14
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 07-03-2014, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
"every car has maintenance" -- true dat! However, BMW seems to carry that to new levels. Never in my (too many) years of car ownership have I had to replace window regulator drive dogs! Never have I had to replace springs with broken pigtails. Never had to replace struts that failed (I have replaced them because they were worn, but had not failed), and the list goes on. My seat covers are cracked (sensatech), the dashboard and switch covers are peeling like they have the mange, the carpets are unraveling, the rubber seals around the doors are cracking and ragged. Frankly it looks like a "rat" -- but the engine still purrs and it does not use a drop of oil (well, not enough to trigger the amber oil can light) between changes. I look at the interior and compare it to my old Tahoe and the Chev still looks almost like new inside with 240K miles on the clock.