Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-16-2016, 05:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
How do you clean a valve cover without a parts washer?

Planning on replacing valve cover gasket soon. Don't have a parts washer and don't want to wash petroleum products down the drain or on my property or down the storm drains.

The only thing I can think of is to clean with paper towels or old rags and then dispose of them at a local household hazardous waste event.

Just wondering if anyone has any better options that work better?
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2016, 06:22 PM
BM and V dub love!

Mein Auto: '04 Phaeton,' 06 X3
Brake clean and a lint-free cloth. No reason to make it pristine, it'll just get dirty again.

If you really want to clean it, diesel works very well. For disposal, ask around at your local auto parts stores to see if they'll accept it.

Sent from my Chroma Nexus 6
Old 06-16-2016, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 x3
Cleaning

Real hot water and laundry soap.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooflessvw View Post
Brake clean and a lint-free cloth. No reason to make it pristine, it'll just get dirty again.

If you really want to clean it, diesel works very well. For disposal, ask around at your local auto parts stores to see if they'll accept it.
That's what I figured. I thought I'd ask in case there was some technique or product that could make it easier and less likely to pollute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xl250 View Post
Real hot water and laundry soap.
And what do you do with the waste water?

Last edited by TomNJ; 06-16-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3... VOLVO... V
Down the drain, recognizing it is insignificant compared to the 1000s gallons of oil gas and ATF runoff from every single mall parking lot from folks who haven't fixed their oil leaks.

By fixing this you have smiled on Mother Nature and she will forgive your liter of waste mix
Old 06-17-2016, 04:13 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
Nearby indie shop Varsol-SafetyKleen wash tub.

Lint free is over the top. My cleanliness standard was "No visible trash contamination with 10X magnification of normal corrected vision under 50 foot-candles light (a flashlight with fresh batteries)." We bought 10,000 dozen Birds-Eye lint free diapers per year. Inspectors started each day with new batteries.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 06-17-2016 at 04:20 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:40 AM

Doug,

I was thinking about that. Do you think an indie shop would let me use their setup? Have you done it? Do you tip them anything?
Old 06-18-2016, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
How do you clean a valve cover without a parts washer?

Engine degreaser or brake cleaner on a rag on the mating surfaces of the head and valve cover. Diesel is a phenomenal grease cutter (almost as good as gasoline!) but is itself an oil and will leave a residue. When cleaning really gunked up parts, I use gasoline, as it evaporates completely very quickly.

Don't worry about hosing it off in the driveway. Driving your car is far worse for the environment than cleaning the VCG.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:50 AM

I like to use grass clippings as mulch in the vegetable garden which is the main reason I don't want to clean it off anywhere that it will run off into the lawn.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search