Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: E39
540 group buy, LSD from MFactory

Info here, just fyi

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...3#post28318063
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2015, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 540, Maserati
This dif doesn't lock in snow/ice conditions.
Great GB price.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tour View Post
This dif doesn't lock in snow/ice conditions.
Great GB price.

Really?! why not??
Old 02-18-2015, 06:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 528
I dont know about this particular limited slip diff, but they normally have varying degrees of force required to get them to lock, based on their application, such as street or track.

When someone says "What year is your Bimmer?", I say "What part".

Old 02-18-2015, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 540, Maserati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkum View Post
Really?! why not??
Because it requires load on both rear wheels to execute the posi-traction. For instance, this setup will be useless in snow/ice situations. Good for dry street applications.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: ---
What is the benefit of this LSD over doing an M5 LSD swap?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsm View Post
What is the benefit of this LSD over doing an M5 LSD swap?
well that involves a used m5 lsd ($700ish?), plus a rebuild if you want to be safe ($?) and M5 driveshafts ($?).

I've heard of people doing that swap for 1kish, dont think that includes a rebuild though (most of the used m5 LSDs have 100k+ on them, up to you whether a rebuild is warranted)

This LSD drops into your existing housing
Old 02-18-2015, 11:12 AM

So apart from saving a few hundred... it's not much of a benefit in terms of performance right? I got all the required hardware, m5 lsd, m5 d/s, and input flanges for $800 shipped (I got lucky though). If I understand correctly this diff if anything is a downgrade in performance? The only "good" factor of it is the cost savings and no headache. I am not blasting this option, just saying it's less performance oriented than the M diff from an M5.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: E92 M3
Most people are aware of the limitations of a Torsen style LSD when one wheel is under no-load. A well known solution to this though is to left-foot brake, which basically adds load again to the spinning wheel. This is what racers have been doing for years in their 20+ year old cars of yesteryear.

However, with your E39 540i and most modern day cars, it has traction control, so your traction control module (or ecu) does this for you automatically (i.e apply load). So the Torsen style LSD is perfectly useable even under so called "no-load" conditions. Most anti-Torsen consumers either come from a car from yesteryear with no traction control, thus had a bad experience with a Torsen style LSD, or they simply were not aware of this.

Also, Torsen style LSD's do not lock; they are in a contant state of torque bias between the left and right wheels i.e transferring more torque to the wheel with more traction.

With the oem M LSD's, these are far from being performance orientated, as the oem LSD's only allow a lock capacity upto 30% before it starts to slip, which is not very good at all (in comparison, the LSD mentioned above allows upto 75% torque transfer to the wheel with traction). Only the misinformed purchase the oem M LSD's. These are NOT the same as the Drexler LSD's used by BMW in their Touring Cars
Old 02-18-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syeh View Post
Most people are aware of the limitations of a Torsen style LSD when one wheel is under no-load. A well known solution to this though is to left-foot brake, which basically adds load again to the spinning wheel. This is what racers have been doing for years in their 20+ year old cars of yesteryear.

However, with your E39 540i and most modern day cars, it has traction control, so your traction control module (or ecu) does this for you automatically (i.e apply load). So the Torsen style LSD is perfectly useable even under so called "no-load" conditions. Most anti-Torsen consumers either come from a car from yesteryear with no traction control, thus had a bad experience with a Torsen style LSD, or they simply were not aware of this.

Also, Torsen style LSD's do not lock; they are in a contant state of torque bias between the left and right wheels i.e transferring more torque to the wheel with more traction.

With the oem M LSD's, these are far from being performance orientated, as the oem LSD's only allow a lock capacity upto 30% before it starts to slip, which is not very good at all (in comparison, the LSD mentioned above allows upto 75% torque transfer to the wheel with traction). Only the misinformed purchase the oem M LSD's. These are NOT the same as the Drexler LSD's used by BMW in their Touring Cars
Thanks for the detailed reply, I know more today than I did yesteryear. All I care about is being able to go sideways
Old 02-18-2015, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 03 540i6
Quote:

You might want to say that you're the guy selling the diffs referenced by the OP.

dave
03 540i6
Old 02-18-2015, 12:28 PM

Old 02-18-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540nj View Post
You might want to say that you're the guy selling the diffs referenced by the OP.

dave
03 540i6
For full disclosure - I'm one of the "only the misinformed purchase the oem M LSD's."

With no regrets over the last couple years!

dave
03 540i6
Old 02-18-2015, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540nj View Post

dave
03 540i6
Good catch
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 02-18-2015, 12:56 PM

I've also had the M5 diff in my 540 for two years now and I love it, really livens up the 540. I also doubt it's not "performance oriented" seeing as how it was originally on the M5 (best car ever?).
Old 02-18-2015, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 540iTT
800 is waist of money, for NA V8,
For example I picked up used auto dif that has same ratio as m5 for 130$ shipped, with nice wide tires it hooks up really nice, and 670 still to play with,
K&N intake $35
Custon ecu tuning, with mpps chip tunning "in case someone interested here is the link" http://www.ebay.com/itm/MPPS-V13-02-..._Tools&vxp=mtr
And wet nitrous system 75-150hp for $ 400 -500 and you got your self at least 13 sec 1/4 mile car.

Last edited by 540iTT; 02-18-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:18 PM

The reason "why" I did not reference my company nor our product directly is because:

1) I am here at the request of a customer to answer questions, hence I am not selling anything here
2) I am not a vendor here, hence I am not selling anything here
3) I posted the same on the group buy forum and it was deleted (although it has been put back up now) as I was not a vendor there, hence why I decided to just answer the questions here "without" referencing the company. What I said about the Torsen style LSD's apply to all Torsen style LSD's, not just the one referenced in the group buy

Yes, the oem M LSD's do work, and are better than an open diff, but that does not change the fact that they only lock upto 30%. With the costs involved to swap to an oem M LSD, you can upgrade to a better performing LSD for less money. That was all that I was trying to infer. If you have never had an LSD on your car before, then of course you are going to be "happy" with the upgrade, as anything is better than an open diff. If you purchased an oem M LSD without knowing about being able to get a better performing LSD for less money, then yes, this makes you misinformed. Or is there another word for it? If you took offence to my statement, then please accept my apologies; this was not intentional.

Ask yourself this question: If you were given the choice of an oem M LSD for $800, and a better performing LSD (fact) for $800, which would you choose? You would have to be misinformed if you though the "better performing" LSD was the oem M LSD.

Last edited by syeh; 02-18-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:20 PM

Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
So do these really make a difference under daily driving conditions? Or is this an upgrade for the track?
Old 02-19-2015, 12:57 AM

If by daily driving conditions you mean regular in-town driving at or below the speed limit, then no, there is no advantage of installing any type of LSD, unless weather conditions dictate otherwise (i.e low traction conditions).

However, if you do do some spirited driving, or even like to drift now and again, then yes, an LSD will most certainly make a difference. It is not a track-only upgrade.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:57 AM

Mein Auto: '98 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTiger View Post
So do these really make a difference under daily driving conditions? Or is this an upgrade for the track?
They only make a difference if you regularly loose traction because a wheel is breaking loose and spinning.

When someone says "What year is your Bimmer?", I say "What part".

Old 02-19-2015, 11:35 AM
That Guy

Mein Auto: 99' 540i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybot View Post
They only make a difference if you regularly loose traction because a wheel is breaking loose and spinning.
Which is very easy for these cars lol. My e30 had factory LSD and thank god cause after the motor swap it got a pretty good workout ha. Life is better making 11's rather than making 1's!

1985 335i
Black on Black coupe 5spd
R.I.P

1979 Trans Am 10th Anniversary
#16 of 5,683 made

KOI Import Parts-- 513-771-7777
Old 02-19-2015, 11:45 AM

I don't track my car, but still love the upgrade to M5 diff. Especially notice when driving hard around corners, put it into second on a 90 deg turn, the car sits down and jumps with the gas, much more settled and immediate response than with the pegleg.

This group buy seems like a good deal, though the dealer is a bit obnoxious for my taste. I tend to do business with people I like... Got my diff set-up from a previous bfest guy who had to part out his car.

dave
03 540i6
Old 02-19-2015, 11:55 AM

Once again, if I offended you (which was not intentional) with my statement about being "misinformed", my apologies. However, you were the one who "called me out" when I didn't even bring up any company names or product brands (with exception of Torsen and Drexler), nor was I selling anything. All I was doing was replying to questions/posts that people had already posted, in an unofficial capacity outside of any company. If I wanted to people to think I was a rep (or dealer as you put it), I would have made it far more obvious.

How you managed to find me obnoxious, I certainly don't understand, and, again in an unofficial capacity outside of any company, you were the one that was actually being a little bit obnoxious for my taste when you "called me out" for no reason whatsoever.

Whatever though, I'm not the one to argue on public forums, so once again, if I offended you, my apologies.

Last edited by syeh; 02-19-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Once again, if I offended you (which was not intentional) with my statement about being "misinformed", my apologies. However, you were the one who "called me out" when I didn't even bring up any company names or product brands (with exception of Torsen and Drexler), nor was I selling anything. All I was doing was replying to questions/posts that people had already posted, in an unofficial capacity outside of any company. If I wanted to people to think I was a rep (or dealer as you put it), I would have made it far more obvious.

How you managed to find me obnoxious, I certainly don't understand, and, again in an unofficial capacity outside of any company, you were the one that was actually being a little bit obnoxious for my taste when you "called me out" for no reason whatsoever.

Whatever though, I'm not the one to argue on public forums, so once again, if I offended you, my apologies.
No probs, just busting you a bit. Good luck on the GB.

dave
03 540i6