Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Research Project: What is your personality & what fluids do you prefer for your BMW?

This simple "research project" is designed to help us advise newbies as to what gas, oil, and coolant to use when they ask the inevitable question.

The only thing asked of you is:
a) Your Myers-Briggs personality profile, coupled with ...
b) Your gas, oil, and coolant preference.

One possible hypothesis is that our gas, oil, and coolant preferences "might" be tied to our personality types, more so than to the vehicle itself. Hence, if that holds water, we can best advise others, simply by asking them what their personality is.

But that's just an hypothesis, to either be proven out, or not, by the results (which, if public, will allow all of us to analyze the data to see if we can conclude anything from it).

ACTION FOR YOU:
1. Please take this free test based on Carl Jung’s and Isabel Briggs Myers’ typological approach to personality.
2. Please tell us what fluids you use for coolant, oil, and gasoline.

That's it!

The goal is to see if there is any correlation between your Myers-Brigg's personality profile (E:I, S:N, T:F, J:P), and your most comfortable choice of (religious) fluids.

If we can come to a consensus, then, we can better advise the inevitable newbie who asks what (oil,gas,coolant,etc.), by asking them what their personality is.

As I am wont to do, I will embarrass myself first, by disclosing "my" personality profile along with my most comfortable choice of fluids:
Quote:
ESTP Extravert(100%) Sensing(1%) Thinking(25%) Perceiving(56%)
  • You have strong preference of Extraversion over Introversion (100%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)
  • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (25%)
  • You have moderate preference of Perceiving over Judging (56%)

My fluid choices are:
a. Gasoline = Costco/Safeway/Moe's Gas cheapest I can find (usually 87AKI)
b. Motor Oil = Mobil1 synthetic (any weight) at Costco (although I'm currently running Costco dino juice)
c. Coolant = Prestone green (although I'm currently running water)

PLEASE VOLUNTEER TO HELP OUT BY...
1. Taking this this 5-minute free test
2. Report your results (the percentages are very important!)
3. Tell us what gas,oil, and coolant you feel most comfortable using

Note: The beauty of a public test is that it shows us all whatever it shows, so, any initial hypothesis is unimportant as it may or may not hold water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	myers-briggs.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	455117  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2014, 11:59 AM

Explanations of the 16 personality types abound on the net:
(Note: All personalities are equal - in that none are good, none are bad; it's just how we're wired.)
- Wikipedia
- Personal Pathways
- Myers-Briggs.org
etc.

Having read many Myers-Brigg's descriptions, here's just "my" simple understanding of the four categories:
  1. How you interact with the world (focused inward)
    • e.g., how you "energize" around people
  2. How you gather data (before you make a decision)
    • e.g., how you internalize any situation
  3. How you make your decisions (after you have the data)
    • e.g., how you act on the data you have
  4. How you prefer the world to interact with you (focused outward)
    • e,.g., how you order your life & how you prefer others to order theirs
Personally, I think #1 and #4 go together, in that the (1) is how you act around people, while (4) is how you prefer people to act around you.

I think #2 and #3 go hand in hand in that (2) is, essentially, how you gather data to make decisions, while (3) is how you make that decision once you have all the data that you feel you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xxxx.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	455127  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.

Last edited by bluebee; 07-28-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
I (22%)
N (25%)
T (75%)
J (22%)
Gas - Premium (93), any brand but prefer a name brand (e.g. Mobil, Shell, etc.)
Oil - Mobil One 5W-30, (bought at BJs)
Coolant - BMW, (because I change this so infrequently)

Bottom line, my "thriftiness" influences my choices more than anything else. But when it comes to parts, I almost always go OEM (Lemforder, Sachs, Behr, etc.) except for the radiator (Nissens) and the WP (Hepu) because I don't want to have to redo a job.

Clearly I also do not read directions!

Last edited by Fudman; 07-28-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Introvert(44%) iNtuitive(50%) Feeling(38%) Judging(22%)
You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (44%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (50%)
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (38%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

Ahem, don't agree much with the test, many questions badly worded, skews results. I am more intro than extrovert. The other results are suspect.

I think Oil is all important, the "blood" of the engine. I change it every 5k (it would be 3k if I lived in a big city). I use BMW LL01 labeled oil, currently Mobil 1 0w40, but may switch to Castrol now that they have an equivalent on the US market. I find Castrol to keep an engine quieter than Mobil.

Gas: Don't care, whatever is cheap. I have no way of knowing that generic gas (Costco etc) isn't coming from Shell or Chevron, don't have time to research everything about it and have never had a car develop any problems in a million miles or so of driving mostly high-performance machines. (Though I did use Sunoco 260 in the early seventies in my 340 'Cuda). Highest octane of course.

Coolant: I think the players have reached common ground. Any major brand is OK, just use one that says "Good for all makes and models." There were times in the past twenty years when VW and other makes started using "custom color" coolants that may have had special properties but now I think Prestone et al have covered their bases.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
INTJ
Thanks for being the first "datapoint", in this informal "study".
The percentages can be extremely important, because, as you can see from my profile results, a low percentage can go either way (e.g., I'm apparently 1% Sensing, which could just as easily have shown up as 1% Intuitive when it comes to gathering data).

What that means, in my case (spoiler alert) is that I take in data roughly any way I can, but, if the number is to believed, I take in data 51% by Sensing inputs (e.g., seeing, hearing, tasting, smelling, googling, asking, etc.) and 49% by Intuition.

Point is that I'm neither an S (sensing) nor an N (intuitive), I'm both, roughly about equally, which means (to me) that I take in data by a variety of methods, while others (e.g., someone 100% intuitive) would not be able to handle the data (because they just "know" the answer, without needing much data).

On the other hand, the fact I show up as 100% Extroverted means I'm not likely to ever be in the Introvert category, so, if someone is strongly one way or the other, the 4-letter assessment won't change, but, if they're weakly one way or the other, then the 4-letter assessment doesn't really indicate the true picture.

Put into a 4-letter assessment, for example, I'm more ExxP than I am ESTP (or maybe ExtP would show strong E, half-S-half-I, weak t, and strong P), meaning something like:
  • Strong E (100%)
    • Nobody would mistake me for an introvert!
    • On a scale of 100: Basically I energize 100% around people, 0% alone
  • Half-S-Half-I (1%)
    • I gather data any way I can get it, as much as possible
    • On a scale of 100: Basically, I gather data 51% and I intuit inputs the other 49% of the time
  • Weak t (25%)
    • I make decisions based on both thinking & feeling, but mostly hard logical thinking
    • On a scale of 100: Basically, I'm about 75% thinking & 25% feeling in my decisions
  • Strong P (56%)
    • On a scale of 100: I expect people to be open-minded for the most part, but to also follow some rules
    • Basically, about 56% of the time, I'm not all that organized nor do I expect myself and others to blindly follow the rules, but, 44% of the time, I expect others to be organized and to strictly follow the rules, whatever they may be (because they are rules).
Point is, the percentage (can) matter, unless you're nearly 100% on each!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 540i/6
I 22%
S 12%
T 38%
J 56%

Gasoline: QuikTrip Premium 91 Octane (QT is the most reputable gas station in my area)
Oil: I use Castrol 0w40 previously Mobil 1 0w40
Coolant: BMW Coolant
Kansas City BMW CCA Chapter #478906
Old 07-28-2014, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 97 528i
INTJ

I (11%)
N (25%)
T (12%)
J (44%)
Gas - Premium (93), I go more by known good gas from a particular station than brand name.
Oil - Mobil One
Coolant - Green and never change it.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: '01 540i 6sp '01 X5 4.4
ENTJ

Extravert(1%) iNtuitive(25%) Thinking(88%) Judging(33%)

Never thought I was that polar, (bi-polar, perhaps lol)

Mobil 1 synthetic 0-40
93 octane generally from Shell (have rewards points that give me anywhere from $0.20-$1.00 off per gallon)
My indy uses BMW coolant
Old 07-29-2014, 12:45 AM

Mein Auto: E39 530i
ISTJ

Oil: Liqui Moly 5W-30
Gasoline: Chevron 91
Coolant: BMW
Old 07-29-2014, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 03 540iA, 08 Lexus RX350
Test Results

Introvert 78%
Sensing 50%
Thinking 25%
Judging 33%

Gas - Always Premium, Shell if available
Oil - Castrol Synthetic 0W-40
Coolant - BMW

Other favorite fluids: Jack on the rocks.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
E (11%)
S (25%)
F (12%)
J (44%)

Gas: QuickTrip/Top tier supplier. Or whatever close-by when I was running out of gas. Always highest grade.
Oil: Mobil1 Synthetic
Coolant: BMW Antifreeze.

FS 2001 ///M5
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=791509
2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo

Last edited by tmvE39/E53/Z32; 07-29-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:55 AM

So Dr. BB, what conclusions, if any, can you draw from these responses?
Old 07-29-2014, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 530d Touring
Introvert(33%) iNtuitive(25%) Thinking(62%) Judging(56%)

Gas: cheapest
Oil: 0W30 latest spec
Coolant: whatever is on the shelf
Old 07-29-2014, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
ISTJ

Fuel - Premium (Top Tier Designation)
Erl - Mobil 1 0W-40 (LL-01 Compliant)
Coolant - Pentosin Pentofrost (Supposedly BMW original fill)

Why, not because I infer these are required but because I can, so I might as well use as close to possible to the original fill.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
So Dr. BB, what conclusions, if any, can you draw from these responses?
I don't want to accidentally affect the results by making a preliminary prediction ... but, as you had surmised, I do have an hypothesis.

Suffice to say, in general terms, what I'm looking at, mostly, is the strength of the N/S (how people gather data on fluids, especially when that data is readily available so it matters where they put the most weight), F/T (how people act differently given the same fluid data that everyone else has), and/or J/P (how people prefer to order their lives and how they expect others to order their lives with respect to BMW recommendations).

The E/I (Extrovert/Introvert) strength (which is how a person energizes), isn't a component of the hypothesis, and will be thrown away unless it seems to be correlated with the fluid choice.

One would initially think the F/T (Feeling decisions versus Thinking decisions) would be the most predictive, since it's how people make decisions (but let's see if that is born out by the data set).

To make analysis easier, I plan to look first at the few results closest to 100%, because they're probably more strongly type specific; but we will look at all the results before drawing conclusions.

Overall, I'm expecting, but will await more data, that the stronger the N (intuition), the F (feeling), and/or the J (judgmental), the more BMW Marketing oriented the user will be (but we must have more data first, as that's just an hypothesis).
On the other hand, I'm expecting the stronger the S (sensing), the T (thinking), and/or the P (perceptive), the more the person will lean toward any fluid that meets the technical spec, which, we note, also often meets the marketing spec.

If the data bears that hypothesis out, it will then be interesting to then see which of the three factors (data input, decision output, or ordering of life) is the most predictive of fluid choices.

However, lest we get ahead of ourselves, we must bear in mind that my initial hypothesis doesn't actually matter one bit, unless the data actually bears it out.
The good news is that the data will, inevitably show, whatever the data will show ... so we need a few more data points ... before we begin the initial assessment.

Last edited by bluebee; 07-31-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: '99 528i M52TU
INFJ

I (22%); N (50%); F (38%); J 78%

BP or Mobil Mid or Super
Mobil 1 5W-30
Prestone
Old 07-29-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I don't want to actually affect the results by making a preliminary prediction ... but, as you had surmised, I do have an hypothesis.

Suffice to say, in general terms, what I'm looking at, mostly, is the strength of the N/S (how people gather data on fluids, especially when that data is readily available so it matters where they put the most weight), F/T (how people act differently given the same fluid data that everyone else has), and/or J/P (how people prefer to order their lives and how they expect others to order their lives with respect to BMW recommendations).

The E/I strength isn't at all in the hypothesis (which is how a person energizes), and will be thrown away unless it seems to be correlated with the fluid choice.
One would initially think the F/T would be the most predictive, since it's how people make decisions (but let's see if that is born out by the data set).

To make analysis easier, I plan to look first at the few results closest to 100%, because they're probably more strongly type specific; but we will look at all the results before drawing conclusions.

Overall, I'm expecting, but will await more data, that the stronger the N, the F, and/or the J, the more BMW Marketing oriented the user will be (but we must have more data first, as that's just an hypothesis).
On the other hand, I'm expecting the stronger the S, the T, and/or the P, the more the person will lean toward any fluid that meets the technical spec, which also meets the marketing spec.

If the data bears that hypothesis out, it will then be interesting to then see which of the three factors (data input, decision output, or ordering of life) is the most predictive of fluid choices.

However, lest we get ahead of ourselves, we must bear in mind that my initial hypothesis doesn't actually matter one bit, unless the data actually bears it out.
The good news is that the data will, inevitably show, whatever the data will show ... so we need a few more data points ... before we begin the initial assessment.
Interesting. I'm also interested to see what this says about e39 owners too. It seems we (collectively) lean towards the I and J, with you being the notable extroverted exception. Most interesting...
Old 07-29-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
It seems we (collectively) lean towards the I and J, with you being the notable extroverted exception. Most interesting...
We do have an old thread on the personality types of E39 owners, in general, but it doesn't contain the concomitant information about fluid choices.
- What is the PERSONALITY profile of the typical E39 forum member?

Quote:
It seems we (collectively) lean towards the I and J, with you being the notable extroverted exception.
We might note that I didn't set out to buy a BMW when I had bought mine, so, I may be atypical of E39 owners (it was just a car, to me).

Last edited by bluebee; 07-31-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 97 528i
Quote:
That is interesting.

We might note that I didn't set out to buy a BMW when I had bought mine.
It was just the car that the neighbor, whom I had trusted, was selling.

So, I didn't set out to buy a bimmer. The bimmer bought me!
Thats about how I got into them. A customer had one and I just bought it. Wasnt crazy about the car and expected a good gas mileage grocery getting for the wife.

Umm she never got the e46 I bought. It infected me on the way home. I couldnt let it go. So I ended up buying her the e39. She wasnt getting the e46 away from me
Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
I 11%
S 1%
T 12%
J 11%

Gasoline: Costco Premium 91 Octane
Oil: Mobil 1 0w40 from WallyWorld at 5k
Coolant: BMW Coolant
Old 07-31-2014, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: (E39) 2001 530iA M Sport
ENTJ (50-50-38-22)
Gas - Premium (91-93 AKI), prefer BP (Aral Ultimate 102 RON in Germany) - partially because I get cash back (points)
Oil - Castrol EDGE 0W-40
Coolant - no preference

With parts, I almost always go OEM.

Last edited by tcbDE; 07-31-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:31 PM

I'm diagnosing patients before I've done my research, but, based ONLY on the initial hypothesis, I prescribed my first professional opinion today, over in cn90's thread:
> DIY: E39 Changing engine oil made simple (how to do it in 30 minutes and not crying!)

Note that this analysis was made PURELY on the basis of the initial HYPOTHESIS (and not at all on the data in this thread as we are still awaiting datapoints!) ... but the analysis may be instructive nonetheless, for others to see how I am thinking ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scpousnret View Post
E s f j
coolant: whatever is on sale
oil: Mobil 1 Full SYN, 10w-30
Gas: Exxon Mobil 93 Oct
You didn't say the concomitant Myers-Brigg's strength, so, in the interests of saving posts, I'll simply assume 100% in all the comments below for ESFJ (and I'll only concentrate on the oil decision, which was the original question):

It's rare to have a 100% "Extrovert" on bimmerfest (I only know of one other 100% E on the entire forum), but the hypothesis is that how you energize has nothing to do with your oil selection, so, this is a datapoint we simply ignore.

However, how you take in data (100% Sensing) means you gather inputs from many sensors, and from the senses of other people, which is what you're doing now by asking in this cn90 thread on how to change your oil.
Since you're (assumed to be) 100% Sensing, you probably also spent time looking up various oils, and understanding viscosities, and you probably already know that the 10W only happens in the first five minutes of engine operation, and you probably even dip your fingers on your dipstick to sense the viscosity of the oil in your bimmer (as you tap your oily fingers together, just sensing the viscosity) and you probably also try to feel how the engine acts when you put the new oil (although that sensing input is fraught, for most people, with placebo effect, although 100% sensing individuals should be relatively immune to that effect since they take in "real" data as much as they can).

Since your sensing inputs are how you take in your data, now we coupled that with how you make decisions.
Given our assumption you have "100% Feeling" outputs, here's where we get into the meat of your decision making process.

The answer to the question has to make you FEEL good. You must FEEL right. Feel safe. Feel secure. Feel that it's the right oil selection. It's not a Thinking decision-making process at all. It's a 100% Feel-good process of decision making.
Given 100% Feeling (and I have to assume 100% but the answer could be totally different if you were only 1% Feeling), you're going to want to feel like you're doing what BMW and others recommend.

Couple that with being 100% Judgemental (I'm forced to assume 100% again, but realize that they're half of the most dangerous people on the planet, so heaven forbid running into anyone 100% J and 100% I), so that means you like order. You make lists. You feel good checking things off the list, more so than actually doing the thing on the list. You like to order your life. And, get this. Not only do 100% J's order their own lives, but 100% Js want everyone else to follow the same order (have you figured out why 100% J's are the most dangerous if they're coupled with 100% N yet?) Anyway, order is what you enjoy. That means order for everyone else who interacts with you.

Bluntly stated, you're going to want to go with what BMW or others recommend, because, well, it's the right thing to do. Period. Orders are orders. They're prescribed. You do them. That's what 100% Judgementals expect and do.

Given all that, I'd say you have to go ONLY with the oils and viscosities prescribed in this thread:
- What is the definitive list of BMW-approved motor oils (1)

And, specifically, do NOT read this open-ended thread (because it doesn't fit your personality, assuming 100% of everything you listed):
How to choose the right motor oil for your E39 (by quality, cold-start, warm viscosity, slipperiness, and cost)
EDIT: This is actually a good example to describe the hypothesis, because assuming 100% of each for ESFJ makes the personality traits so strong that the assumptions above can more easily be made.
Had we assumed only 1% of each for ESFJ, the entire argument could have (and would have) gone differently.
Of course, I have not even attempted to fit the hypothesis to the given oil selections in this thread - so - realize this is only going on the hypothesis (and not yet on the data, because we don't have nearly enough data yet.)

SUMMARY OF HYPOTHESIS:
  1. Extrovert vs Introvert
    • I'm assuming this has no measurable effect on the choice of the commonly argued fluids.
    • It may have an effect on the number of posts per day in this forum, but that's a different metric altogether.
  2. Sensing vs Intuitive
    • I'm assuming the stronger sensing will somehow strive to scientifically TEST the fluids and read up on the BMW specs and compare the intent of the specs with the scientific tests on the fluids, while the stronger intuitive will "just know" the answer based mostly on their personal unscientific experiences during their lifetime, which, for the older folks, will be different than for the younger folks due to stong intuitives basing their inputs on ONLY the data that they themselves have experienced (which is almost never a statistically valid sampling).
  3. Thinking vs Feeling
    • I'm assuming the stronger thinking person will make logical decisions, whether or not they match specific BMW recommendations but they would follow BMW intentions, while the stronger feeling person will go with what makes THEM feel good (which I assume would be to follow BMW recommendations to the letter, although it would be to use whatever fluid choice that makes THEM feel good).
  4. Perceptive vs Judgemental
    • I'm assuming the stronger perceptive personality will use the BMW specs as mere guidelines while the stronger judgemental personality will assume the BMW specs are unassailable gospel.
    • I would also expect the stronger judgementals to be more vociferous in declaring in the threads that others should follow BMW recommendations, while the stronger perceptives would be more likely to advise people to go whichever way they want.
    • Having said that, note I am not going to strive to look at what other people said in other threads, so, that last assumption is simply a point of note to explain some of the incessant "what fluid" thread arguments that will go on forever.
Notice that the hypothesis assumes the decision-making traits to be most important, that of Thinking (logic) versus Feeling (emotions).
It assumes the data-input traits to also be an important primary effect (that of sensing inputs or intuitive inputs), while it assumes the Life-Order traits (Perceptive vs Judgemental) will have a secondary effect on how one perceives specifications coming from BMW (and how vociferous one will be when others violate those BMW-ordained tenets).

Last edited by bluebee; 08-04-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 540i 6-speed
INTP. None over 40%. I've also gotten INTJ and other permutations, with only the I remaining constant, over the years.

Given that, and recognizing that Myers-Briggs and its progeny aren't the most useful tests, here's what I use:

Gas: Costco (usually) 91 (always)
oil: Mobil 1 5W-30
Coolant: BMW only. The prior owner had used some green stuff and it took a couple of drain/fill cycles to clear all the green out.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 99 528i
Research Project: What is your personality & what fluids do you prefer for yo...

I 11% N 38% T 50% P 44%
99 528i
Fuel: Sunoco/ Exxon 93 (sometimes w/ 89 mix)
Oil: Castrol Edge 5w-40
Coolant: BMW brand

Last edited by DHoffmeyer; 08-04-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
I use the oil that makes the least amount of Bavarian Mayonnaise in the Winter.