Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-17-2014, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto:
Brake juddering. I think....

Hi all. One around three occasions now I've experienced a rather strong juddering after I've had to brake. It last for a few seconds - even after the brake was released- and the the car ran fine. I room it to the local BMW mechanic who found no codes and took it for a test drive and it was perfect. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this ? Thanks a lot.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 07-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
At what speed does the juddering occur?

Be nice to know what kind of car you have, too: model, model year, build date, and miles.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto:
I ws going slow like under 10mph or so. BMW 525i. 2002, 79,000 miles. Thanks

Old 07-17-2014, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Sometimes the rotors can get contaminated with brake pad residue. Have the mechanic pull the front wheels and examine the rotor surfaces.

Might try this, too: Make 3-4 agressive stops from 50 MPH. It may clean the rotors.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 07-17-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 03 540i6
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess bimmer View Post
Hi all. One around three occasions now I've experienced a rather strong juddering after I've had to brake. It last for a few seconds - even after the brake was released- and the the car ran fine. I room it to the local BMW mechanic who found no codes and took it for a test drive and it was perfect. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this ? Thanks a lot.

Did it happen when you braked while going over a bump?

dave
03 540i6
Old 07-17-2014, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto:
Just braked. No speed bump or anything. It was a strange feeling. Quite violent shaking. Then fine. Even the BMW guys couldn't figure it out and as usual, it went perfectly when they drove it. Thanks

Old 07-17-2014, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto:
The guys checked in case it was some kind of misfire when I was pulling off, but no codes there either.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:03 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
a rather strong juddering after I've had to brake. It last for a few seconds - even after the brake was released
With the exception of the bumps, it sounds exactly like this:
- Violent shudder upon front-wheel braking on bumps (1)

Quote:
I ws going slow like under 10mph or so.
Disconnect your ABS control module harness.
If the problem immediately goes away, see the aforementioned thread above...

Quote:
Quite violent shaking. Then fine. Even the BMW guys couldn't figure it out and as usual, it went perfectly when they drove it.
This is a very common problem, if it's what I listed above.
I brought my 2002 525i when it had about 32K miles on it to the dealer, under warranty, and they professed to have never heard of the problem.

Since it's so common, they were either:
a) Lying, or,
b) Stupid (ignorant)

There is no other possibility because it is a well known common problem. I wish I had been on Bimmerfest at the time, but I was trusting the dealer in those days. Stevenscreek BMW. They're crooks. But, you already knew that.

Anyway, disconnect your ABS control module and drive for a couple of days, and if the problem goes away, you've proven what it is.

Quote:
The guys checked in case it was some kind of misfire when I was pulling off, but no codes there either.
Misfire? Codes? Huh?
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 07-19-2014, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for the responses. Back to the mechanic today with the advice I've received. Incidentally, i had the ABS pump and module replaced a few months back Anyway, They called round a few people and are going to replace the bushes Monday. Based on advice from this forum, I think I'll get the shocks done too. They told me it was a big job to change the bushes. No idea what the cost will be. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Ti had the ABS pump and module replaced a few months back
It's pretty rare to have the pump need to be replaced ...
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:25 AM

Mein Auto:
I had the three lights showing on the dash board and the mechanic traced it to the pump, which was then replaced. It didn't work, so another mechanic rechecked it and replaced the module which worked. So you are likely correct. Thanks

Old 07-20-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I had the three lights showing on the dash board
Yeah, we all have had the trifecta.
- How to diagnose the BMW ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta (1)

The solution is almost always a single wheel speed sensor, or a single wire on the ABS control module needs to be reattached.
- What are all known options when your ABS control module is bad (1)

Back on topic, if you simply disconnect the ABS control module harness, you'll be able to test if that's the reason for your shudder.
Here's a picture of mine ...

Last edited by bluebee; 07-20-2014 at 12:55 PM.