Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 10-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Away

Send a message via AIM to Jimmy325
Mein Auto: is slow but comfy
Quote:
Originally Posted by atyclb
c'mon---I'll be gentle
Old 10-15-2003, 01:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E30, M3, 540i
Actually, I lot of my pet peeves have already been mentioned, but one that has not, that absolutely drives me crazy is... people who don't understand the zipper system when merging on/off the freeway. Every other one folks, it's not that difficult and it keeps the traffic moving!!
Old 10-15-2003, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 540iA Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcasavant
I think e36 drivers who have not upgraded their headlights should get a reprieve from ridicule when using the fog lights. I can't see sh*t at night in my car. Sometimes, *gasp* I put on the foglights and it makes a small improvement.
I'll give you that. Also, if your fogs are adjusted properly, they do make a huge difference if you are driving around in a subdivision at night that has concrete curbs. The light is at a great level to illuminate curbs making the street look like a runway, great added visability.

There you have it, a couple of exceptions that prove the rule.

Later,
Dave

E39 - 1998 540iA Sport (11/97 Production)
E30 - 1989 M3 (44k miles)
1979 Triumph TR7, still have my first car ;-)
Past cars:
E21 - 1980 320i (sold at 130k)
E23 - 1986 735i

Avatars under the signature are MUCH more prestigious than to the left of the post...
Old 10-15-2003, 04:33 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray330
What is your driving-related pet peeve? Here is one of mine: people who drive with their fog lights on in clear weather.
Driving with all lights, including fog lights, is a prudent thing to do. The better you are seen, the less likely someone with pull out over into your lane, etc.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 OB 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Actually, I lot of my pet peeves have already been mentioned, but one that has not, that absolutely drives me crazy is... people who don't understand the zipper system when merging on/off the freeway. Every other one folks, it's not that difficult and it keeps the traffic moving!!
You know, I rarely see that problem out here. First read this thread last night. Was out on one of the local freeways today and wouldn't you know it, someone pulled this on me right in front of me. Large rig was in the right lane. Guy in front of me looks like he is going to make the move to get in front of the truck. I am right with him. Not even close, but he chickens out and hits the brakes. If I don't do something, I am at a dead stop on the freeway on ramp. So I drop off quick and get behind the rig, leaving that other bastard sitting on the freeway onramp. No room to let him in. He put himself in that position, who was I to hit my brakes in the right lane just to let him on, so I didn't! I really am pretty tolerant on the road, but when it impacts me like this, no breaks will be cut.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: '08 535 6mt
1) M'Fing cigarette smokers flinging butts out the window
2) Yapping on the cell phone
3) Tailgaters
Old 10-16-2003, 09:42 AM
Casey!

Mein Auto: '04 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObD
2) Yapping on the cell phone
Cellphone doesn't bother me as long as the driver is paying attention to driving first, and talking second. Unfortunately, those are few and far between.

"Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em...That I've got no cerebellum" - The Ramones, "Teenage Lobotomy"
Old 10-16-2003, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimergrin

I hate people who don't use their singal when turning or changing lanes.
Why do manufactures put them in cars if people aren't going to use them
Apparenty, turning signals are an option on many cars, and some people just aren't up to paying that extra expense... cheap b*st*rds...

2004 330cic
Saphire Black on Black Montana Leather, Step, Premium Package, M-Sport Package, Adaptive Headlights, 135M's

"All men are guilty of the good they did not do."
Old 10-16-2003, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed328Ci
Lately, it's been crazy or unaware pedestrians that cross the street from any where, and at any time.

Ed

As soon as i saw that, i knew it was from a fellow Vancouverite...!!

What's up with that anyways...? What's with these drivers full braking to a stop on a 6 lane roadway (Hastings and Boundry?) to let a pedestrian jaywalk during heavy traffic!!
Let them go to a light or wait til it's clear, goddammit!!!!

The pedestrians in this city now think it's actually their RIGHT to stroll out into the road... anywhere... and take their sweet time crossing...
I have never seen that attitude anywhere else 'en masse' like here...

I'd beat them with a 'stupid stick' but i think someone already beat me too it...

2004 330cic
Saphire Black on Black Montana Leather, Step, Premium Package, M-Sport Package, Adaptive Headlights, 135M's

Old 10-16-2003, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy

Those people are so funny! They roll up dead on the forward cars bumper just to keep someone from getting in... and they won't look over no matter what!! But then if the guy trying to merge looks back and waves a "can i get in"... they smile and concede as if "oh... i didn't see you there... sure! go ahead...".

I mean if your peripheral vision is THAT bad... you shouldn't be driving... nevermind... you shouldn't be WALKING!!

...someone pass me my stupid stick...

2004 330cic

Old 10-16-2003, 03:17 PM
TXSunDvl

Mein Auto: '01 325Ci, ZSP, '08 CR-V
Most of mine have already been mentioned but anyway:

1. Slow driving in the left lane.
2. People who have no idea what the concept of merge is when entering a freeway.
3. People who rush to pull out in front of you (especially when there are two lanes) and then putz around.
4. Corvette drivers who cannot exceed 25 mph (why is that?).
5. Cell phone users who have a cord attached at one end to the cell phone and the other to their right foot, so a soon as they pick up the phone, they slow down.

I could go on forever.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:49 PM
< my favorite mods

Mein Auto: 2004 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate328Ci
Left lane squatters

2004 Euro Delivery 330Cic: Silver Gray/Natural Brown, 6sp manual, PP, SP, 18" OEM Style 71's, Heated Seats, Xenons, PDC, V1, M3 Steering Wheel, Euro Tray, iPod/IceLink.....Paper Maps ... SOLD 2006
Old 10-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Away

BEAUTIFUL lady in a BMW always keeps my eyes off the road and looking to the sides. Dangerous... I tell ya.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to milski Send a message via MSN to milski
Mein Auto: dirty 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy325
BEAUTIFUL lady in a BMW always keeps my eyes off the road and looking to the sides. Dangerous... I tell ya.
Which reminds me: What do they drive?
Old 10-16-2003, 04:15 PM
Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by milski
Which reminds me: What do they drive?
Oh I dunno... did not have chance to stalk them yet hahahaha.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: Car
Left lane squatters. (I think it's now a law in Washington to have slow cars keep left. Not sure but I will check with the state patrol on that one.)

People who come to a stop in the driving lane to turn. If there's a turn lane or not.

People who honk at you to move forward at a green light when there are 20 cars. a truck and a stopped bus in front of you. I actually asked one these A**holes where he expected me to go?
Old 10-16-2003, 04:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to milski Send a message via MSN to milski
Mein Auto: dirty 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTimmy
Left lane squatters. (I think it's now a law in Washington to have slow cars keep left. Not sure but I will check with the state patrol on that one.)
Yes, I'm pretty sure it's a law and it's been like this since 2000, when I took my exam. I have never seen it enforced though.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: A 333 Horse Chariot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripsnort
Driving with all lights, including fog lights, is a prudent thing to do. The better you are seen, the less likely someone with pull out over into your lane, etc.
Huh? By that rationale why not just drive with your hazards on all the time? Yep, fog light abusers always make me go and are a source of minor aggravation to me.

I can't believe my biggest pet peeve wasn't even mentioned though: It's the JERKS making left turns who continue even after their light has turned red. They just follow, lemming-like, the cars in front of them! I've literally counted six cars continuing on through a red light after my light has gone green. What the hell is up with these people? Do they think their time is more important than everyone else's? It just makes me want to yell out the window at them. :asshole:

Fortunately there are red-light cameras at many of the busiest intersections in the San Diego area, so with time that will hopefully cut down on this particular offense.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
This is a nifty thread! I don't know why it's been dormant for more than nine years.

I have lots of driving pet peeves. I mean, lots. You probably do, too. Otherwise, what are you doing spending so much time in a forum about driving?

Here's oneómaybe we can get this thread rolling again:

I hate when people have the right of way at an four-stop intersection, and still wave for others to go first. I believe they think it's just the socially polite thing to do. It's not. All they're doing is violating the rules of the road and making the driving more dangerous for everybody.

What's yours?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-06-2013, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
This is a nifty thread! I don't know why it's been dormant for more than nine years.

I have lots of driving pet peeves. I mean, lots. You probably do, too. Otherwise, what are you doing spending so much time in a forum about driving?

Here's oneómaybe we can get this thread rolling again:

I hate when people have the right of way at an four-stop intersection, and still wave for others to go first. I believe they think it's just the socially polite thing to do. It's not. All they're doing is violating the rules of the road and making the driving more dangerous for everybody.

What's yours?
that one annoys the crap out of me too!

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
that one annoys the crap out of me too!
Are you kidding about that? Because you used the winky wink.

Wa-a-a-ait a minute ... you're the guy who always does that, aren't you!

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-06-2013, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 325i/X5 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post

Here's one-maybe we can get this thread rolling again:

What's yours?
Related to that, I've been in the left turn lane (at a green light). Opposite direction car comes and wants to turn right. I'm anxious for him to turn so I can get in behind him and he stops and wants to let me in -he treats it like a 4 way stop when he has the Right of Way.

Someone back on page 1 in 2003 complained about people putting feet on the dash. That bugs me too, and I tell the offenders: If the airbag goes off you are going to wish you did more Yoga, because your angles are going to be around your ears. But as it's usually wife/kids they ignore me....
Old 01-06-2013, 02:28 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Some cities in TX (League City) have introduced a left turn flashing yellow light. My god, is it really necessary when on coming cars have the right of way anyway? A flashing yellow light will only add to confusion. Also, TX drivers unlike CA drivers, stay behind the intersection nervously waiting to make a left turn. They will not go through with the turn when the light changes from green to yellow because they do not think there is enough time. CA drivers enter the intersection on the green so other cars behind have enough time to make the turn before the green turns yellow, then red. Me? I enter the intersection, give way to on coming cars until it is safe to turn left. A little understanding and common courtesy can help keep the flow of traffic smoother.

Yes, I get annoyed when a car that has the right of way stops thinking he is doing you a favor. Such poor thought can cause confusion and can lead to a bad rear end accident.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, thereís a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 01-06-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: A car
less traffic lights and more roundabouts would help the traffic flow a lot smoother - the sooner the USA catches onto roundabouts, the sooner we'll be rid of idiot drivers who freeze like a deer in the headlights when they encounter one...

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack330i View Post
You have that problem too?
Man, some of those girls should be arrested for causing traffic jam, I tell ya.
They should be paid to cause those traffic jams!