Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-20-2014, 03:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335xi
Stuck gas gauge 07' 335xi

I noticed since this past Friday that my gas gauge seems to be stuck about a 1/8-1/4 tank fuller than what my miles left till empty are reading? I put more gas in it today and the gauge rose to a smidgen past half tank however my miles till empty read 169 which is usually between a 1/4 tank and half tank?
Any ideas on what could be causing this? Again this just happened a few days ago.
Could the fuel pump be related to this? I would think not but it concerns me since it's an 07 which had the dreaded fuel pump issues. I'm at 103,000 miles currently.

Thanks!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2014, 03:53 AM

I just read that there is a bulletin on the recall website that states a possible failure on the fuel sensors? Hmmm???

Old 05-20-2014, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankey View Post
I just read that there is a bulletin on the recall website that states a possible failure on the fuel sensors? Hmmm???
That seems the logical point of failure. As for the fuel pump it's warrantied until 120K miles so that would be the preferred, if unlikely, part to fail.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankey View Post
I noticed since this past Friday that my gas gauge seems to be stuck about a 1/8-1/4 tank fuller than what my miles left till empty are reading? I put more gas in it today and the gauge rose to a smidgen past half tank however my miles till empty read 169 which is usually between a 1/4 tank and half tank?
Any ideas on what could be causing this? Again this just happened a few days ago.
Could the fuel pump be related to this? I would think not but it concerns me since it's an 07 which had the dreaded fuel pump issues. I'm at 103,000 miles currently.

Thanks!

If you've programmed your car before and you're familiar with NCSExpert try to load up your KOMBI module and do a "SG_Reset" something like that. It will reset your guage to default and also do a FA_Write to re-code it and make sure everything is good. It happened to me not too long ago I was messing around with NCSExpert and somehow i bricked the KOMBI. I went to put gas and it overflowed and it wasnt sensing anything - MPG or how many miles are left. I did the reset and recode and it worked good right after that. Hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:58 AM

Is it safe to use the computer reading miles until empty vs the gauge? Weird they would give two different readings? I would think one fuel sensor would send info for both readings? Both are reading different!
Anyone have any links or how to's on replacing the sensor?
Thanks

Old 05-20-2014, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by marius07031 View Post
If you've programmed your car before and you're familiar with NCSExpert try to load up your KOMBI module and do a "SG_Reset" something like that. It will reset your guage to default and also do a FA_Write to re-code it and make sure everything is good. It happened to me not too long ago I was messing around with NCSExpert and somehow i bricked the KOMBI. I went to put gas and it overflowed and it wasnt sensing anything - MPG or how many miles are left. I did the reset and recode and it worked good right after that. Hope this helps.
Why would you FA_Write? FA-Write is used to code the VO string to CAS and NFRM.

You should not use FA_Write for this job

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 05-20-2014, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Why would you FA_Write? FA-Write is used to code the VO string to CAS and NFRM.

You should not use FA_Write for this job
Yeah you're right. All he needs to do is a reset then.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:08 AM

I don't have any way or tools to do anything computer code wise the car so that won't work. The car is stock! I'm gonna stop at my local bmw dealer today and talk to them about the fuel sensor bulletin and the fuel pump warranty. I also have the nasty waste gate rattle too. No warranty but just curious about if my car ever had the fuel pump recall performed at all.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:08 AM

Sorry meant to say the car is stock! Nothing software wise has ever been done before

Old 05-20-2014, 08:11 AM

I also tried to pull the fuel gauge fuse and that didn't work. Is there a way to hard reset the car such as pull a fuse or main power from the battery for a period of time?

Old 05-20-2014, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
The float in your gas tank might be bad.

The miles remaining is mainly a calculated value and is barely based off sensor readings.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 05-20-2014, 08:16 AM

That's so strange because it just happened instantaneous . No warning such as slowly going or such

Old 05-20-2014, 08:38 AM

I pulled the negative on the battery and my miles till empty now increased to where the gauge is reading. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it moves and post back
Thanks guys

Old 05-20-2014, 09:50 AM

Just drove 35 miles. Working again! Whew! Thanks guys